Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2161 2162 [2163] 2164 2165 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689704 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SON OF A BROWSER! Edition
« Reply #32430 on: February 06, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »

I found something interesting while reading a wiki article on gaslighting.

With respect to women in particular, Hilde Lindemann argued that "in gaslighting cases...ability to resist depends on her ability to trust her own judgements." For the victim to establish "counterstories" may help the victim reacquire "ordinary levels of free agency."

I'd say learn to start "trusting your gut", as abused as that phrase has been lately. Unconsciously we all sense where our boundaries are. Just don't let that go unchecked when it comes to less visceral things (i.e., not getting beat up on.) When it comes to deciding what you actually believe, start first with "I believe I need to know what I'm talking about before I form an opinion on it." Something parents are more than happy to not do.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:46:58 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #32431 on: February 06, 2014, 08:58:56 pm »

I found something interesting while reading a wiki article on gaslighting.

With respect to women in particular, Hilde Lindemann argued that "in gaslighting cases...ability to resist depends on her ability to trust her own judgements." For the victim to establish "counterstories" may help the victim reacquire "ordinary levels of free agency."

I'd say learn to start "trusting your gut", as abused as that phrase has been lately. Unconsciously we all sense where our boundaries are. Just don't let that go unchecked when it comes to less visceral things (i.e., not getting beat up on.) When it comes to deciding what you actually believe, start first with "I believe I need to know what I'm talking about before I form an opinion on it." Something parents are more than happy to not do.

The issue is that because you have conflicting sources of information / facts pertaining to similar circumstances, you feel like you cannot know what you're talking about. Of course having no opinions on anything is tantamount to getting rolled over by people who do at every occasion, so you take the slightly better option of having a very changeable opinion.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32432 on: February 06, 2014, 09:56:26 pm »

The issue is that because you have conflicting sources of information / facts pertaining to similar circumstances, you feel like you cannot know what you're talking about.

I'd like to think the Internet is there so you can at least get a variety of input and contextual facts. I do vaguely remember a time before the internet where when you wanted to know something specific, you had to go to a library. If it's factual, you can find those in seconds and fact-check the shit out of your sources. If it's something less factual and more opinion or belief oriented, you can find a variety of viewpoints with a degree more effort. I mean, isn't that what we're essentially doing here?

It's not the same as learning through human interaction, but when that has proven to thoroughly suck and you're too young to do anything about it, where else are you going to go?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32434 on: February 06, 2014, 10:44:32 pm »

Apparently someone thought it was necessary to make up pronouns for otherkin with god-complexes.
So? They want to be otherkin, and while I find what they are doing bizzare and laughable (including making up words that don't exist). That's their perogative. It really doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
After a bit more research on the author (of the lists), apparently the whole thing is purposefully making fun of and insulting trans people. Which does indeed make the author a huge asshole, and the rage from everyone who's re-blogging this completely reasonable.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32435 on: February 06, 2014, 10:59:13 pm »

Heeeey, making up words that don't exist is a worthy and honoured past time. Everyone from Shakespeare to C.S. Lewis to that other guy people talk about a lot did it!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32436 on: February 06, 2014, 11:06:38 pm »

Heeeey, making up words that don't exist is a worthy and honoured past time. Everyone from Shakespeare to C.S. Lewis to that other guy people talk about a lot did it!
George W. Bush?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32437 on: February 06, 2014, 11:13:49 pm »

Can't work efficiently, frontal lobe sparking with hatred.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32438 on: February 07, 2014, 01:50:50 am »

Gaaaah fucking hell.

Civ IV BtS doesn't want to recognize the techinicolor ponies and Fallout mod folders I've put into the designated folder as mods and let me load the latter, while the formed doesn't show... maybe I'm doing it wrong... anyway, sleep now. Mods later.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #32439 on: February 07, 2014, 04:47:07 am »

The issue is that because you have conflicting sources of information / facts pertaining to similar circumstances, you feel like you cannot know what you're talking about.
It's not the same as learning through human interaction, but when that has proven to thoroughly suck and you're too young to do anything about it, where else are you going to go?

Good point. :(

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #32440 on: February 07, 2014, 05:49:02 am »

Apparently someone thought it was necessary to make up pronouns for otherkin with god-complexes.
Considering how often you're in here raging about it, have you ever considered just, y'know, not spending all day looking for tumblrs to annoy yourself with?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #32441 on: February 07, 2014, 07:16:12 am »

Considering how often you're in here raging about it, have you ever considered just, y'know, not spending all day looking for tumblrs to annoy yourself with?
Are you victim blaming ^-^?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32442 on: February 07, 2014, 07:35:10 am »

My Crank-Nicolson algorithm keeps exploding. The temperature is supposed to decrease, not increase!  >:(
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32443 on: February 07, 2014, 07:36:43 am »

The wind chill is so bad that public schools are closed. Work is not. So greed. Such retail. Wow.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32444 on: February 07, 2014, 09:40:15 am »

I'm not sure if Red actually posted it because of this, but:
So? They want to be otherkin, and while I find what they are doing bizzare and laughable (including making up words that don't exist). That's their perogative. It really doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
After a bit more research on the author (of the lists), apparently the whole thing is purposefully making fun of and insulting trans people. Which does indeed make the author a huge asshole, and the rage from everyone who's re-blogging this completely reasonable.

So yeah. Justified. If it wasn't like that, it'd be more a fit for the "Things that made you cringe halfheartedly today" thread.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 2161 2162 [2163] 2164 2165 ... 3345