Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2103 2104 [2105] 2106 2107 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695763 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FICO ME? I FICO YOU!!! Edition
« Reply #31560 on: January 14, 2014, 07:05:46 pm »

I can't tell if he was being serious or not, but I watching Colbert last night and he said "If you let your guest talk for more than 7 seconds, you've clearly lost control of the program and need to get it back on track, or you'll lose your audience."

While that's somewhat hyperbole, part of it is not. If you've ever watched either a CNN roundtable or Fox & Friends.
I think they should do everything live. If someone ends up saying something that ends their career, or slips a nipple, or just stands perfectly still until they're asked a question and then suddenly vomit. All that would be more entertaining than what we have now. I'd actually watch TV if it were good. But I'm not gonna watch some idiot host browbeat and talk over his guests while they talk over each other for 5 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of commercials.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31561 on: January 14, 2014, 07:11:34 pm »

That's already the thinking. Gaffes on live TV are worth ratings, period. People not thinking about what they say before they say it is good for ratings. News & Comedy already makes a meal out of this. (The Daily Show has refined remembering what people say for later use into an art, something the news tends to not do anymore.) Hell, CNN regularly has an article or video clip just for when Anderson Cooper has a fucking giggle fit on live TV.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31562 on: January 14, 2014, 07:23:48 pm »

So she invited a skilled lecturer and couldn't get a pointless word in edgewise? Such a shame. It's almost like she's meaningless and her job could be performed by an empty chair or a miniature cactus on a table with a card in front of it that says "Do go on."
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31563 on: January 14, 2014, 07:29:56 pm »

I've probably been so jaded that I no longer hold a rational opinion on the matter, but here is how I see the mainstream media, at leas the local US flavors.

flavor#1

INN! The Inane News Network! Tonight, we bring you a heart wreching story about mittens, an area kitten that found herself trapped in a tree, and the brave fire fighter that saved her-- Later, is Pedobear in YOUR school cafeteria? After the hour, we'll respond to your live tweets about tonight's stories!

Flavor #2

NNN! Nationalist News NOW! What does the recent sequester and budget dispute mean for our armed forces? Later-- Our very own Phil O'Really takes on one of the scientific community's leading "experts" on global climate change. After the hour, how the obama administration is out to disarm americans nationwide!

I have only a limited capacity for nauseating bullshit, regardless of the direction.
If the news was instead about live reports and interviews with people in say, Bangkok, or with the continuing violence in Egypt, or any number of other, REAL news issues, like scientific discoveries and advances in medicine, and NOT "Let's go to twitter, and put your uninformed and stupid opinions on the air! It's good for ratings!", or "'Murica, Fuck yeah!", I would actually watch it, and not ridicule it as mindless drek for mindless idiots.

It's a harsh opinion, that uses strong language-- but it's also a very strong opinion.

Putting 2 flavors of stupid on the air is not how you produce unbiased news coverage of actual news. Sorry, it just isn't.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31564 on: January 14, 2014, 07:34:11 pm »

Unfortunately, one of the most expensive parts of journalism is live reporting. It costs an absolute shit ton of money to send a crew of people anywhere, for any period of time. Half the places they should be going are practically warzones where, even if Americans aren't unpopular, there is at least one group that hates us. International Bureaus are also likewise very expensive to maintain, because the revenue expectations are based on American advertising standards and the populations served locally by these bureaus do not make up the difference.

But let me give you a local example. The biggest local newspaper here refused to send someone 3 hours outside of town inside the state to cover a story because they couldn't justify the cost of it.

Besides. When 40% of your original reporting comes from unsourced and unvetted Twitter and Facebook posts, the math does itself.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #31565 on: January 14, 2014, 07:35:31 pm »

I still remember the class where they told us "You're going to get dozens of marketing press releases a day. Dozens. You have to filter each one, take out what they want to say and replace it with what needs to be said. Because the industry is trying to game you and the profession. Don't let them."
I've seen a lot of this coming from here :S

You aren't alone in hating it though..

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31566 on: January 14, 2014, 08:05:39 pm »

I want investigative journalism. I want journalists poking and prodding. I want ten thousand Woodwards and ten thousand Bernsteins pounding the pavement and rattling the doorknobs. Journalism is the cure for corruption, and boy are we sick.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31567 on: January 14, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »

I really hope you meant 'ignorance', because I can really say that journalism isn't curing our corruption here.
It's informing us of the corruption.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31568 on: January 14, 2014, 08:12:53 pm »

What we have is no longer good journalism. It's like saying you want food, but they give you shit, and they say "well it's like food and it used to be food and it's made of kinds the same stuff" but no matter what they say you're still sitting there looking at a shit sandwich.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31569 on: January 14, 2014, 08:20:00 pm »

Specifically, I want to see a guy go before a congressional hearing and be told he needs to tell the whole truth and nothing but, and when it turns out he was lying through his teeth, the newsies won't rest until he's in a jail cell. I want to see a CEO who told his company to pollute illegally, and then when there's a lawsuit and he tries to intimidate the jury, the newsies won't rest until he's gotten his comeuppance. The first step in getting out from under corruption is exposing it. Then people get upset and demand it be cleaned up. Not just swept under the rug, but scoured and incinerated. I see nothing wrong with a journalist being paid 50k a year to make sure one politician can't accept any bribes / lobbying. Put out a bounty! Make it so if you go into public service it's because you want to do good, not because you'll make millions. Make it so a CEO can't secretly get a $1m bonus while simultaneously laying off 100 workers.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31570 on: January 14, 2014, 08:29:16 pm »

What we have is no longer good journalism. It's like saying you want food, but they give you shit, and they say "well it's like food and it used to be food and it's made of kinds the same stuff" but no matter what they say you're still sitting there looking at a shit sandwich.

I guess I should step back from my rants a minute to acknowledge: good reporting DOES still happen. Even on CNN. They've broken a couple stories over the last few years that warrant the title of journalism.

Just like in all things, the signal to noise ratio seems higher for crap than quality. What makes it hard is, again, the marketing, with "the best news team on cable" yadda yadda. You end up with cognitive dissonance because you see 90% crap and you learn to hate the message. Eventually, the whole package.

What we really lack however are the depth pieces that explain complex issues in a detailed way. CNN has many experts, and individually, these experts know a lot and write some good articles. Unfortunately, the only articles CNN really runs are 1,400 word op-eds from these people. Rather than giving you the benefit of their expertise by way of explanation and example...you're asked to trust them implicitly while they give you a world view to consider.

That's not the kind of journalism I want to read. I forget where, maybe it was CNN. But I read this amazing article on the Middle East. An article that really tried to explain to a Westerner how politically messy it is over there, how so many conflicts and issues have multiple stakeholders across a large geographic region, each with different, opposing wishes. I probably spent a half hour reading it, sentence for sentence because it was telling me something I wanted to know. It wasn't trying to convince me of shit; it wasn't playing the whole social justice routine. It was simply information, well gathered and tightly explained. More of that please. I don't think most of the Western world needs Dr. Sanjay Gupta to tell us women in the Middle East have it bad, or that plastic surgery is ultimatly bad for the self-image of Western teenage girls.

But I long since stopped assuming what I want to know is what "people" want to know. Even in my own j-school classes, I was the old man, pining for better days. Which made teachers like me in one sense, in the same breath they disliked me because I flat out rejected all the new media craze, which is the only thing they were intent on teaching because it was their mandate. I was one of a handful who said they still liked to get their news in a newspaper, and teachers would just kinda shake their heads and be like "Yeah those were the days...."

Specifically, I want to see a guy go before a congressional hearing and be told he needs to tell the whole truth and nothing but, and when it turns out he was lying through his teeth, the newsies won't rest until he's in a jail cell. I want to see a CEO who told his company to pollute illegally, and then when there's a lawsuit and he tries to intimidate the jury, the newsies won't rest until he's gotten his comeuppance. The first step in getting out from under corruption is exposing it. Then people get upset and demand it be cleaned up. Not just swept under the rug, but scoured and incinerated. I see nothing wrong with a journalist being paid 50k a year to make sure one politician can't accept any bribes / lobbying. Put out a bounty! Make it so if you go into public service it's because you want to do good, not because you'll make millions. Make it so a CEO can't secretly get a $1m bonus while simultaneously laying off 100 workers.

Here's journalism's other dirty little secret.....access means everything. You tread the line between investigating your sources and giving them a platform on which they can express their views. If you hound people to the ends of the earth, you end up doing all your reporting from the street because no one will go on camera with you, no one will talk to you on the phone and no one will give you a comment on the record. In truth, there's TONS of people operating this way already: they're called bloggers. That's what decent journalism has basically been reduced to. Public figures have wisened up to the fact that it's often in their best interest to say nothing.

Which is why I find the Colbert show so hilariously ironic. Public figures that wouldn't go within 100 feet of a reporter willingly come on to his show to be cornered, look awkward and sweat a lot. They're so desperate for media exposure they'll risk just about anything except an honest conversation. They mistakenly do not take Colbert seriously so they view his show as free PR, still not realizing that they're actually revealing their true selves on TV to him. It's so backasswards it makes me laugh.

At least they got smart enough to stop coming on the Daily Show. Jesus.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:58:39 pm by nenjin »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31571 on: January 14, 2014, 08:41:37 pm »

Ugh. I doubt I need to explain to any of you why I think this is reprehensible. Even worse, these jerks have a group at my University that uses one of our auditoriums and blares loud gospel music across the campus mall every Sunday. They were just annoying before, but I didn't expect them to be a megachurch.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31572 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:35 pm »

Re: journalism and access. That's why you also need whistleblowers. I firmly believe that in a company of 1000 complicit people led by a dozen vile ones, there's got to be one person who will reveal their collective evil if he knows he won't get punished for it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31573 on: January 14, 2014, 08:49:02 pm »

Jaded output from cynicism filter:

Jesus loves people who follow the party line and eat up all their dogma! If you do, jesus might give you a swanky mansion like he did for me! Just keep spreading the word, and jesus will surely reward you with your own mansion some day! You shouldn't resent my mansion, it was a gift from jesus for being such a good christian! (Nevermind what the bible actually says, that isn't important, put that away-- I have the microphone here, so listen to what I have to say. It's what jesus really wants.)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31574 on: January 14, 2014, 08:52:17 pm »

>.>

While I get the context..err, we're not all like that.
Or how those things are bad...

Or..is it really like that there? o_O
Oh dear.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:56:58 pm by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 2103 2104 [2105] 2106 2107 ... 3345