Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2065 2066 [2067] 2068 2069 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699472 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Road Rules Edition
« Reply #30990 on: January 02, 2014, 01:15:01 pm »

I've gotten too lazy to pirate. Games, anyway.
If I keep winning the drawings, I won't have to. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30991 on: January 02, 2014, 01:15:51 pm »

The devs argument spurs the terrible person one (she takes it as being an accusation of her NOT doing that and therefore being bad) and the safety thing is less relevant given some of the suggested modes of piracy (such as accepting a copy of a legitimately-purchased VN from a known and trustworthy mutual friend).

And I have done it before - the quitting is a fairly recent thing. As for mentioning it... I don't think I could get away with that. She'd bring it up eventually anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30992 on: January 02, 2014, 01:19:29 pm »

...refusing a vn from a friend is pretty rude though

you could have at least said that you'd buy it yourself or something

that's like shitting all over their tastes

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30993 on: January 02, 2014, 01:25:11 pm »

In that case, she's probably looking for you to just agree with her, namely on the principles some pirates follow. If you want to go down the route of appeasement, some points:

-Large publishers are evil, don't care about the PC market, etc.
-Devs typically don't have any reason to give a damn about piracy; they get paid either way, unless they're an indie dev, it's the publishers who suffer.
-Even if they do have a reason, there's no functional difference between someone going without a game they can't afford/wouldn't buy, and someone pirating it.
-Pirates in the above case can actually positively affect the game, by joining the community, spreading word of it being good, etc.

She'll eat it up. Also, is this just games, or other forms of media?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30994 on: January 02, 2014, 01:33:47 pm »

...refusing a vn from a friend is pretty rude though

you could have at least said that you'd buy it yourself or something

that's like shitting all over their tastes
I did insist on buying it myself, actually, but I didn't have the money at the time so I said she'd have to wait. It's media in general, although games and anime are the current sticking points.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30995 on: January 02, 2014, 01:53:15 pm »

Honestly it sounds like she's just hypersensitive and looking for things to get offended about.

I used to be paranoid of telling people why I'm a vegetarian (out of fear that I'd sound holier-than-thou or something), but most people I actually talked to didn't take it that way. I just say I'm a vegetarian for moral reasons and most people leave it at that. Those that push and try to make me sound like I'm insulting them are the people I avoid already.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30996 on: January 02, 2014, 02:05:18 pm »

I see no advantage to the optic mice. Track balls only need cleaning out once every so often, and they don't decide to send the cursor careening off into the corner of the screen for no reason.
I think that may be because your mouse is shit. I have an optic mouse that works very well.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30997 on: January 02, 2014, 02:07:04 pm »

* kaijyuu finds optic mice to be more accurate, not less.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30998 on: January 02, 2014, 02:12:28 pm »

I see no advantage to the optic mice. Track balls only need cleaning out once every so often, and they don't decide to send the cursor careening off into the corner of the screen for no reason.
My head is a mousepad. So are my legs. So is close to any surface whatsoever. If I want to use the ceiling as a mousepad -- if it's in reach, I can. Basically none of those would work with older mice. And it's all smooth. Little to no effort, as opposed to ball mice. I remember ball mice. Whatever they're actually called. They are the devil.

Though I guess it was track balls instead of the ball mice whatever being mentioned. Eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30999 on: January 02, 2014, 02:22:15 pm »

* GUNINANRUNIN finds optic mice to be more accurate, not less.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31000 on: January 02, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »

actually no snip this

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31001 on: January 02, 2014, 02:25:07 pm »

Dunno what to tell ya, greatorder. I spent the last couple of days using an optic mouse on the armrest of a reclining chair, and that worked just fine. It wasn't a smooth chair or anything, either.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31002 on: January 02, 2014, 02:44:41 pm »

Optic mice don't work on anything slightly reflective or, even worse, transparent though. Not well, at least. Glass countertop? Plastic tablecloth? Tinfoil?

Not gonna work.

Optic mice only really work well on things that are rough and dull, and almost I've everyone I'm come across who had trouble with them was using them on some totally inappropriate surface.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31003 on: January 02, 2014, 02:46:06 pm »

I will confirm that they work on skin/body hair, though.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31004 on: January 02, 2014, 02:57:25 pm »

Thank goodness they work on a couch cushion else my month long trip to the parent's house would've been far more difficult.

I hate trackpads, there were no desks to sit at, and there was a nice couch I could lounge on with my laptop. USB optical mouse saved the day.
Pages: 1 ... 2065 2066 [2067] 2068 2069 ... 3345