Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1975 1976 [1977] 1978 1979 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689893 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Justice Edition
« Reply #29640 on: November 20, 2013, 01:02:57 pm »

Well that is because intellectual property laws were built to aid big business over individuals.

So of course it would work in an instance where an individual is being the snot :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29641 on: November 20, 2013, 01:06:30 pm »

So, are they going to hire your group to rebuild it, or is it just not at all your problem anymore?
Either way, huzzah.

We're definitely not going to be implementing it, because general network administration isn't a service we offer. But at least we'll be in the loop now, and however this stuff gets set up, we'll have reproduction steps so we can handle all the stuff that IS related to our business, like networking workstations, printers and necessary permissions.

Which really, as tech support, is all I want. NOT to be thrown into the deep end of some else's system with zero guidance either from IT who set it up (in a non-standard way) or the actual people that own the yard (who just want it to work and generally try to avoid understanding how or why it works.)

What really tickled me though was the yard owner's response to this. When he said they were going to dump the server and we somewhat questioned the necessity of that, he said "If I'm going to be spending money, I might as well not do it half-assed."

Damn straight.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29642 on: November 20, 2013, 01:30:02 pm »

Is there something that influences the thread title (FLAC That Edition, Justice Edition etc.) or is it more or less just something random?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29643 on: November 20, 2013, 01:32:47 pm »

Is there something that influences the thread title (FLAC That Edition, Justice Edition etc.) or is it more or less just something random?
JJJJJJJJJJJUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FLAC that was about file hosting not allowing MP3s I believe.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29644 on: November 20, 2013, 01:43:00 pm »

Its either nenjin changing it because nenjin, or people going on about something for an extended number of posts, afaik.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29645 on: November 20, 2013, 02:35:13 pm »

I just change it based on what's generally going on topically. Sometimes it's my rage, usually it's someone else's.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29646 on: November 20, 2013, 02:54:50 pm »

Well i did tech support rage and brought on the flac one so it seems i influence it the most! :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29647 on: November 20, 2013, 03:42:30 pm »

Tech Support is heavily weighted as a rage topic here :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29648 on: November 20, 2013, 04:27:53 pm »

We politely tag such tech support cases as "User Inquiry" which doubles as them asking legitimate questions as well as when they totally bungle normal operations.

Also, as far as "artists" or "creative types" go, I've noticed they tend to judge the rest of the art world harshly. I have a friend who is a very talented artist, but 90% of what's out there "is shit" to him. He only approves of a very narrow range of art that meets his personal tastes. Objectively he can point out the qualities and elements of other people's styles. But when you ask him if it's likable he'll say something to the effect of "No, it's fucking horrible."

So I guess I'm not surprised to hear that musicians are as catty and judgmental as other artists.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:31:01 pm by nenjin »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29649 on: November 20, 2013, 04:30:33 pm »

Because they were going into music, they felt they were entitled to such rewards, and that it was horrible that there were people getting them even though they weren't studying the field, and can you believe it, there was a SOPHOMORE in high school that became drum major? Ugh! To think they'd worked those horrible four years of school without being drum major and to have some punk ass kid come in and take it!
Tch! We had a FRESHMAN as one of our drum majors (though to be fair he was really good :P).

It's always horrible when people think they are entitled to things.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29650 on: November 20, 2013, 04:42:20 pm »

Because they were going into music, they felt they were entitled to such rewards, and that it was horrible that there were people getting them even though they weren't studying the field, and can you believe it, there was a SOPHOMORE in high school that became drum major? Ugh! To think they'd worked those horrible four years of school without being drum major and to have some punk ass kid come in and take it!
Tch! We had a FRESHMAN as one of our drum majors (though to be fair he was really good :P).

It's always horrible when people think they are entitled to things.
What about when people really are entitled to things?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29651 on: November 20, 2013, 04:48:45 pm »

I can think of very few times when people are actually entitled to things (excluding things like life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness) as opposed to when people just think they are.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29652 on: November 20, 2013, 04:52:35 pm »

Then they are. There's an implication of "when they're not" there.

You aren't entitled to getting recognition about skill. It's nice, but not necessary.

But this is coming from someone who is recognized all the freaking time for these things, so I'm not exactly in a position to know what it's like to not be recognized.

I was going to try to say something to make that last sentence appear more humble, but everything would just make it worse, so let it be known that I am not trying to be humble.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29653 on: November 20, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »

I can think of very few times when people are actually entitled to things (excluding things like life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness) as opposed to when people just think they are.

This. You might DESERVE something for working hard or what have you, but it's extremely rare to be ENTITLED to something. I DESERVE to be paid better than what I am, because I do a good job and apply myself, but I'm not ENTITLED to higher pay, because that's not how the world works.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29654 on: November 20, 2013, 05:00:18 pm »

I was going to try to say something to make that last sentence appear more humble, but everything would just make it worse, so let it be known that I am not trying to be humble.

Lol, I was going to say....
Pages: 1 ... 1975 1976 [1977] 1978 1979 ... 3345