Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1973 1974 [1975] 1976 1977 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689241 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLAC That Edition
« Reply #29610 on: November 19, 2013, 01:38:58 pm »

But Buckethead is Brian Patrick Carroll.
Or is he?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29611 on: November 19, 2013, 01:43:45 pm »

Some indie dev should release their game while being completely anonymous. Going only by their username and only appearing in masks or something. I think that'd actually make things much easier for the dev and make the game interesting even if only for the mystery of the developer him/herself.

That wouldn't work. It's the same thing just with a different schtick. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" and so forth.

Really, Toady and like, Introversion are doing it the way I want to see it done. They work, they post, that's it. They're not filming the dev process, like making games is suddenly reality fucking TV, or that a non-AAA developer making a game is so revolutionary it has to be documented for posterity in case they're reason "everything changed." Fuck that. Make a game, when it goes on to become lodged in the collective psyche of the public, then you make a documentary about how that happened. (You can argue that happened with Minecraft, but it quickly became about Notch instead.)

I really feel like this is a new generation of developers who wants to be the Sid Meiers of their time. (I'd say John Carmack too but no one has seemed to have the depth of understanding or the technical competence to match him.) Like right now, everyone is laying the groundwork so they can be running a full studio in 10 to 15 years, meanwhile milking the indie and crowdfunding feels as much as possible.

What made those guys (Sid, Molyneaux) famous was their fucking GAMES. I didn't know or really care who Sid Meiers or Molyneaux was when I was playing their games. I just knew I liked them. It wasn't until I became an adult that I formed an understanding of the people behind these undertakings. When I was a kid, I didn't worship developers or artists or publishers or musicians. I worshiped the things they made.

Now....now it feels like games come and go, but it's the names that stick around. And the things they make are increasingly ephemeral. We get pumped because we hear X is making game Y, or X is consulting on game Z. And then 6 months later, we don't give a shit because the game itself wasn't worth remembering for more than the time it took to play it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:48:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29612 on: November 19, 2013, 01:56:36 pm »

Now....now it feels like games come and go, but it's the names that stick around. And the things they make are increasingly ephemeral. We get pumped because we hear X is making game Y, or X is consulting on game Z. And then 6 months later, we don't give a shit because the game itself wasn't worth remembering for more than the time it took to play it.
The thing is, at least with Peter Molyneaux, that sort of happened. He started out making good games, but he hyped his later ones up so much that the divide between the actual game and the projected vision was ridiculous. So, I think the main reason why Molyneaux's games are (even partially) successful now is because of the fact he has his name behind it. Though I may be biased, considering I didn't really like the Fable series tha tmuch.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29613 on: November 19, 2013, 02:50:48 pm »

I agree that the entitlement level of gamers is just kind of ridiculous. Saw this with Contrast, where people were bitching about having to wait for the release after buying the pre-order. Seriously.

Or complaining that the preorder extra content (soundtrack and a gorgeous development artwork PDF) wasn't good enough. IT'S FREE, MOTHERFUCKERS! It's a thank-you gift for pre-ordering! What, do you go back up to the counter at McDonald's and complain that the toy in your Happy Meal was sub-par and that you'd like a refund?? STFU and sit your ass back down, bitch.

Or complaining that the devs "took our money and ran" for not spending a lot of time on the Steam forums on launch day (they actually did respond to some posts) and that all bugs weren't fixed within the first day.

Sometimes it seems the world is getting increasingly full of goddamned spoiled brats who have things I couldn't even dream of as a kid and still whine and bitch and moan. We didn't have patches in my day! If a game was broken, then THAT SHIT WAS JUST BROKEN.

Oh, your smartphone is outdated?? Your Star Trek handheld communicator that lets you talk to anyone on the planet in seconds, tells you exactly where you are and where everything else is, *and* has a million other functions limited only by your budget and the confines of the human mind? That smartphone? STFU.

Back in my day, if you wanted to call someone you had to find a phone booth and some loose change. On knock on someone's door and hope they weren't an axe murderer. If you wanted to not get lost, you took a map and a compass. We had to fight bears! Now, they probably have an app for that. BearFight or some shit....

</rant>

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29615 on: November 19, 2013, 04:55:08 pm »

The minimization issue has returned.

A few months ago, it stopped just as suddenly as it started, I had no idea what caused it or how. And now, just the same, it returned, nothing was changed, nothing was fiddled with or broken, the piece of shit annoying issue I can't seem to fix or ignore has returned.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29616 on: November 19, 2013, 05:10:50 pm »

-snip-

That was a get off my lawn rant that was totally justified and accurate.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29617 on: November 19, 2013, 05:24:59 pm »

That was a get off my lawn rant that was totally justified and accurate.
It didn't have to be a get off my lawn rant. It could have been a regular old stupid people rant.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29618 on: November 19, 2013, 05:28:52 pm »

Some indie dev should release their game while being completely anonymous. Going only by their username and only appearing in masks or something. I think that'd actually make things much easier for the dev and make the game interesting even if only for the mystery of the developer him/herself.

That wouldn't work. It's the same thing just with a different schtick. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" and so forth.
I'd say it works pretty well for Daft Punk. Of course, their curtain is actually sweet robot costumes.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29619 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:40 pm »

We had to fight bears! Now, they probably have an app for that. BearFight or some shit....
Actually, it's called Fist of Awesome.
I'm not kidding.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29620 on: November 19, 2013, 05:53:59 pm »

I'd say it works pretty well for Daft Punk. Of course, their curtain is actually sweet robot costumes.
I was going to mention Daft Punk, but there's real-people-names for them on Wikipedia, so...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29621 on: November 19, 2013, 06:22:33 pm »

I was going to mention Daft Punk, but there's real-people-names for them on Wikipedia, so...
Or are they?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #29622 on: November 19, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »

Or are they?

Are you implying that Guillaume Emmanuel de Homem-Christo is not a real-people-name?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29623 on: November 19, 2013, 06:59:31 pm »

Goddamnit, customers.....

You have a large networked system using Terminal Services, none of which we set up for you. And you expect us to magically know how this shit works? Who the fuck sets up a large business infrastructure but doesn't have the common fucking sense to retain an on-site IT person who actually knows what the fuck is going on? The best, THE BEST, is they called pissed off already because of long standing issues with print jobs and installing printers.....even though we fucking told them MONTHS ago that "Terminal Services is the issue here. We cannot administrate it for you." But of course, yard boss doesn't give two fucks about Terminal-Whatsit, because it's not his freaking job to care about it. Even though it's his goddamn yard, his money and his network!

I'm so sick of customers who think software and administration and the internet just fucking happen like magic. Christ, take some fucking responsibility for your own infrastructure, and spend the money to make sure you've got someone who knows how to make it work.

But no. Instead, cue me spending 2 to 3 hours reading on Google about Terminal Services, Group Policy Management, Printer Redirection and all sorts of other dumb shit, and still failing because, SHOCK, I don't know what the hell I'm doing! I don't mind cleaning up after an IT person inadvertently breaks some shit. But I DO mind having to, due to a single phone call, dive into server-level administration shit I'm not qualified or even paid enough to fuck with, because some other asshole is too cheap to actually hire someone with technical skills.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:03:11 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29624 on: November 19, 2013, 07:08:55 pm »

I was sick today, and my dad decided that no, he didn't have to phone the school, despite the fact that

1)I reminded him.
2)You're supposed to.
3)This has happened TWICE BEFORE, and both times I had to talk to an administrator.

It takes not even five minutes, and saves both me and the school a ton of trouble. Now I have unexcused absences on my record, and I'll probably have to talk to the gym teacher so that I don't lose 10% of my gym for skipping class.

Seriously, he doesn't seem to get that YOU NEED TO PHONE THE SCHOOL, despite both me and the school saying otherwise.

And now he says he'll phone tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 1973 1974 [1975] 1976 1977 ... 3345