Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1971 1972 [1973] 1974 1975 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689048 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLAC That Edition
« Reply #29580 on: November 18, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »

Have you tried just moving the router away from his arbitrary undebatery?

It's a rented house, so I don't think the people would be happy. Also, I have no idea how a router works.
Besides, he probably thinks he's doing me a favor by not keeping the router on.

He also thinks he's saving money, which is funny since it apparently costs $2 a month to run.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29581 on: November 18, 2013, 09:08:06 pm »

It probably costs more to keep powering it back on than to leave it running, if its like how lights work.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29582 on: November 18, 2013, 09:09:38 pm »

It probably costs more to keep powering it back on than to leave it running, if its like how lights work.
That is exactly what I told him, but he didn't listen.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29583 on: November 18, 2013, 09:19:31 pm »

Just found out about how the Australian government removed same-sex law from ACT because of this one line...
"If we all cant have it then you should not"
...I can say that i hate my government right now and wish Tony just leaves :/

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29584 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:09 pm »

Just found out about how the Australian government removed same-sex law from ACT because of this one line...

That doesn't sound good. What kind of law is ACT?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29585 on: November 18, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »

For anybody curious, a year in an internet zone is apparently equal to 20 minutes on a cell phone, and even that hasn't been confirmed to cause problems, though I'm still not a big cell phone person.
IIRC right now there have been two major-big studies on cell phone radiation linked to cancer (one long-term one, has been going for about 30-40 years now) and one more intense shorter-term one and neither reported any link between the two. (Also funnily enough cell-phone radiation has been linked to curing alzheimers in mice [can't seem to find the original paper link right now]).

As for the wi-fi stuff, you might want to point out to him that the dangers of wi-fi radiation are actually lower then simply being outside. Compared to sea-level average solar radiation wi-fi router radiation is approximately 1 million times weaker, and in-fact your chances of getting cancer are actually significantly lower if you spend all of your time cooped up inside, out of the sunlight, with your wi-fi router then if you are spending said time outside in the bright sunlight. To quote a very good post I found online:
WiFi uses radio (2,500,000,000 Hz), which is on the same spectrum as light. Solar ultraviolet light has more power, and a much higher frequency (10,000,000,000,000,000 Hz) and can give you a sunburn after 15 minutes of direct exposure. So, you'd have to lay on your wifi-router for more than 1,500,000 minutes (almost 3 years) to get a wifiburn.

WiFi has an output of 0.1 to 0.5 watts. Microwave ovens operate at about the same frequency, but have an output of 600 to 1500 watts! You'd have to lay on top of a WiFi router for 10000 minutes (1 week) in order to get the same effect as cooking yourself in a microwave for 1 minute.

Radio waves have an "inverse square" falloff (you can look that up), meaning a little bit of movement away from a radio transmitter causes a huge difference in lost power... So, if you're doing anything but cuddling up with your router, all of the above numbers will be much, much smaller.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29586 on: November 18, 2013, 09:38:42 pm »

I know about the outside thing. I found it when I was looking around online. Honestly, I don't think he even actually researches these things. He probably just reads an anti-technology article somewhere and assumes it to be true. It's just so frustrating.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29587 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »

The law in Australian Central Territory was to allow Same-sex marriage to couples there, so now all the couples who was marry under the law are no longer legally marred

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29588 on: November 18, 2013, 09:42:20 pm »

The law in Australian Central Territory was to allow Same-sex marriage to couples there, so now all the couples who was marry under the law are no longer legally marred
Wait, so instead of allowing same-sex marriage, they just threw out marriage entierly? It sounds both extremely stupid but also extreme enough for australia. (no offense)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29589 on: November 18, 2013, 09:44:17 pm »

Wait, so instead of allowing same-sex marriage, they just threw out marriage entierly? It sounds both extremely stupid but also extreme enough for australia. (no offense)
:P

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #29590 on: November 18, 2013, 10:30:38 pm »

Whatever you do, EP, don't show him this chart:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It would probably freak him out quite a bit.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29591 on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:32 pm »

ACT = a region.

ACT has previously allowed same-sex marriage.

Someone said the aforementioned quote.

The federal Australian government struck down the law because of it.

Right?

What I'm wondering is who said it? And why? "If everyone can't have marriage, then marriage shouldn't be a thing", said by a same-gender marriage proponent, and the gov. got into a tizzy about it? "If the rest of Australia can't have same-sex marriage, then ACT shouldn't"? Said by the federal government as a rationale for striking ACT's same-sex marriage?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29592 on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:25 pm »

Oh no! Living in a house causes radiation!

We'll have to live on the streets. Gotta stay healthy, after all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29593 on: November 18, 2013, 10:46:53 pm »

Oh no! Living in a house causes radiation!

We'll have to live on the streets. Gotta stay healthy, after all.
But there's radioactive material all over the planet! Our only recourse is to go into space, in crafts consisting of as minimal material as is possible. Only then can we hope to be safe.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29594 on: November 18, 2013, 10:48:08 pm »

So recently, my history teacher has been assigning tons of essays. As soon as the class finishes an essay, she assigns another essay, each one slightly longer than the previous one, but we still have the same time-frame as the previous ones to get it done. Because of this, I get pretty much no free-time. The worst part of this is that the teacher apparently refuses to take into account the fact that people have classes other than history that they have to do work in, so I barely get any time to do my homework for my other classes.
Pages: 1 ... 1971 1972 [1973] 1974 1975 ... 3345