Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1943 1944 [1945] 1946 1947 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3695604 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLAC That Edition
« Reply #29160 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:51 pm »

The power company that did bad shit. I believe there was theft and profiteering involved. Then they went out of business.
Oh those guys.
Yeah that was bad and stuff.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29161 on: November 07, 2013, 09:50:29 pm »

I had to watch a two hour documentary on the Enron Corporation in school today. What a bunch of assholes.

Also, in marketing class we talked about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, and how it applies to advertisements. When we were being shown ads, we had to guess which stage each advertisement was aimed towards. The problem is that, being psychology, the hierarchy is open to some interpretation. Whereas our marketing teacher was not, so any disagreement with what he decided an ad was meant for was shot down quickly.

It really annoyed me, having taken several years of psychology where it was pretty much nothing but debating, and now I'm not able to.
ENROOOOOOOOOO-
Wait which ones were those guys?

Started as an oil business, then moved on to electricity for a time in California. They folded in 2001, but convinced the U.S. government to deregulate corporations.

They lied about what they were actually making, made countless fake companies for the purpose of creating false revenues, and enforced rolling blackouts in California during a massive wildfire so that they could charge more for energy, despite there being more than enough to go around.

According to the documentary, they were over-charging energy by hundreds of dollars.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29162 on: November 07, 2013, 09:51:52 pm »

Oh I remember them now.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29163 on: November 07, 2013, 09:58:20 pm »

Basically, Monsanto if Monsanto controlled something that abusing too much could result in the public metaphorically trying to kill them over, followed by literally trying to kill them over.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29164 on: November 07, 2013, 09:59:13 pm »

I disagree. He just described it, so it must clearly be thinkable.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29165 on: November 07, 2013, 10:04:23 pm »

I disagree. He just described it, so it must clearly be thinkable.

Not just think it, it was planned from the beginning. It was why Jeff Skilling (Enron's CEO) was pushing for deregulation so hard.

Because of an abuse of loopholes, Enron was able to put down "potential revenues" as actual revenues, and had reported profits of millions on deals that never earned them a penny.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29166 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:29 pm »

Youtube comment:
Radiohead is just a shitty Coldplay wannabe

No, I don't think they were being sarcastic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29167 on: November 07, 2013, 10:22:56 pm »

Didn't Enron also get involved in insider trading, or was that some other amoral utterly corrupt corporation that went down in flames that I'm thinking of?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29168 on: November 07, 2013, 10:26:20 pm »

It does kill bacteria, but only in the sense it can be used to poison most cells, including human ones. Point is, there are better options for dealing with wounds, and using it in that fashion tends to come from a "if it was good enough for your forefathers it'll be good enough for you" point of view.
Of course anything that kills microscopic organisms is going to slaughter some of your skin cells along with the bacteria. It's sort of the point, and completely unavoidable.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29169 on: November 07, 2013, 10:27:30 pm »

Your body fighting off those microorganisms will kill far more of your skin cells in the crossfire than applying some antiseptic would.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29170 on: November 07, 2013, 10:35:06 pm »

It does kill bacteria, but only in the sense it can be used to poison most cells, including human ones. Point is, there are better options for dealing with wounds, and using it in that fashion tends to come from a "if it was good enough for your forefathers it'll be good enough for you" point of view.
Of course anything that kills microscopic organisms is going to slaughter some of your skin cells along with the bacteria. It's sort of the point, and completely unavoidable.
First of all, that isn't true. Some methods of microorganism destruction do not have any effect on eukariotic cells. This is part of why penicillin was such an amazing discovery (as I recall, it prevents the production of peptidoglycan, which results in bacterial cell walls undergoing structural failure).

Secondly, it isn't about whether it damages your cells or not, it is about relative damage. Hydrogen Peroxide is the scorched Earth of wound disinfectant. There's no reason to use it and lengthen your healing time when you have other, better disinfectants available.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:38:00 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29171 on: November 07, 2013, 10:37:41 pm »

First of all, that isn't true. Some methods of microorganism destruction do not have any effect on eukariotic cells.

Secondly, it isn't about whether it damages your cells or not, it is about relative damage. Hydrogen Peroxide is the scorched Earth of wound disinfectant. There's no reason to use it and lengthen your healing time when you have other, better disinfectants available.
Good lord man, you're acting like me putting a little peroxide on a scab is going to make it stick around for an extra month. You're being slightly dramatic.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29172 on: November 07, 2013, 10:39:04 pm »

No, not really? I didn't read that at all. Better alternatives are available and that usually use them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29173 on: November 07, 2013, 10:40:29 pm »

Good lord man, you're acting like me putting a little peroxide on a scab is going to make it stick around for an extra month. You're being slightly dramatic.
Accusing me of being dramatic does not refute my argument. The simple fact is that hydrogen peroxide is an inferior product in this day and age, and people have no reason to stick to it out of some bizarre sense of tradition, or any other reason they may have.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29174 on: November 07, 2013, 10:44:28 pm »

As a guy who works in a hospital pharmacy, it's not used as an antiseptic. I'm obviously not a perfect source on treatment procedures (you'd want a nurse or physician for that), but I don't think we even stock hydrogen peroxide in the inpatient areas. It might be used to clean a wound, but it's not to kill bacteria, it's because the fizzing helps physically remove dirt and debris that have gotten stuck (so, ERs probably have it). If it's about infection, the wound will be cleaned out with water, then they'll sew it up and put you on antibiotics. Or, if it's a shallow but wide wound, then they'll put an antibiotic ointment or cream over it. That's how we deal with sepsis these days.

Hydrogen Peroxide isn't going to add tons of time to recovery, but it doesn't even really do what MSH says it does - bacteria have all those enzymes to break it apart, same as you. It does nothing but hurt a lot, at least in the concentrations we're talking about. You can jack up the concentration high enough to make it a disinfectant, but then it'll be causing serious damage to you, instead of just slowing down healing and encouraging scarring.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 1943 1944 [1945] 1946 1947 ... 3345