Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1917 1918 [1919] 1920 1921 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692680 times)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Song of Sigs Edition
« Reply #28770 on: October 24, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »

Don't let people tell you that you won't get in, at least until you've tried. It's surprising what can happen.

Hell, Yale contacted me to see if I'd be interested in attending--all I did was score well on my ACT and get the second highest score in my school on some prestigious test or another, all utter bullshit; my grades were mediocre, hovering around a 3.8 GPA, and I participated in absolutely no extracurriculars, which is apparently the most important thing now, because uni is about socializing, not learning--but I avoided that like the plague for obvious reasons.
Most annoying thing for me when the whole spiel on college was being given to us throughout high school was that
  • You have to get into at least one extra-curricular, because colleges don't won't "closet cases" or whatever the terminology precisely is. As we all know, learning is a synonym for socializing, and study hall is synonymous with fraternity.
  • "You must visit every college you apply for, to see if it's a good fit for you", followed by no information on what to do if you couldn't financially afford the luxury, thus indicating no such assistance programs existed. It's a sound concept sure (to the point where teachers understand if you're absent for it, yay!), but it seemed to have been invented while forgetting that the magic of transportation and temporary lodging is obtained by exchanging an arcane token of representation of material gain called "extra dollars".
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28771 on: October 24, 2013, 11:57:52 pm »

mediocre, hovering around a 3.8 GPA

no i don't think so
My high school offered International Baccalaureate courses, which were essentially AP on steroids (an international standard rather than a national one; our papers and recordings of our other major projects were sent overseas to other program instructors for grading), or more accurately, like high-level university courses; they were weighed strangely to indicate this, so someone who took a full set of IB courses had a maximum GPA of 4.5.

Spoiler: Gushing (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28772 on: October 25, 2013, 12:01:20 am »

IIRC my GPA was 2.4

still got ridic university mail for my 99.93 percentile SAT score #humblebrag

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28773 on: October 25, 2013, 12:03:36 am »

no i don't think so
mediocre? Not really. 3.8 is considered excellent. Stahp making me sad D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28774 on: October 25, 2013, 12:09:05 am »

Nah, if you remove the heavy weighting on some of my classes, my GPA was 3.56. I remember that specifically because if my goddamn cheap-ass university had rounded it properly tot 3.6, I'd have been getting $6,000 more every year in scholarship money. I'm still pissed about that, by the way. If I'd been (more) lazy and taken stupid-easy classes in high school, I could've had a full ride. I guess the lesson is that attempting to better yourself will always result in the system bending you over a table, because doing exceptionally well at an easy task is more societally adaptive than doing decently well at a difficult one. >.>

3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28775 on: October 25, 2013, 12:53:26 am »

Still much better than me :x

* Skyrunner crawls off to the sads thread

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28776 on: October 25, 2013, 01:10:36 am »

people get scholarships at 3.8 what

as i remember it over here it's at least 4.5 to get a singular dollop from the state, that or something ~extraordinary~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28777 on: October 25, 2013, 01:12:50 am »

I graduated with a 2.1 high school GPA. Now that you need a bachelor's degree to work at McDonald's, the disinterest from both the school in its students and myself in the school have teamed up to bite me in the ass.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28778 on: October 25, 2013, 01:30:02 am »

Bloody nocturnal calf cramp. You just had to ruin my sleep before the exam, didn't you?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #28779 on: October 25, 2013, 05:31:51 am »

no i don't think so
Can sadness be rage? This made me rage, right? :S

...Mediocre?! DX

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28780 on: October 25, 2013, 06:01:39 am »

no i don't think so

...Mediocre?! DX
Uhm... Yeah, I'm just gonna join in on being sad about this.
I thought I was mediocre-ish, but... well, my grades sure as hell aren't at that point. :P
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28781 on: October 25, 2013, 09:02:03 am »

My "T" keycap is broken in a way that I am almost certainly not getting it back on. I am so angry. So angry.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28782 on: October 25, 2013, 09:29:07 am »

no i don't think so

...Mediocre?! DX
Uhm... Yeah, I'm just gonna join in on being sad about this.
I thought I was mediocre-ish, but... well, my grades sure as hell aren't at that point. :P

To put it in perspective, with that and a 32 cumulative on my ACT (which has a max. score of 36), I only got scholarship offers from a single school (the one I'd spent months buttering up), and no offers of anything but loans from the federal govt. I applied to six schools and all but one basically told me that if I wanted to attend, I'd have to sit and spin, financially speaking. :x

Spoiler: I guess I'm a jerk :c (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28783 on: October 25, 2013, 09:30:46 am »

"Oh hey, what's that in the mailbo-"

"We interrupt your day to inform you of these raised rents."

KILL! MAIM! BURN!

THIRD YEAR IN A ROW. FFS, guys, the entire point of your organization is to provide students with affordable accommodations. How the FUCK is that supposed to happen if you keep jacking up the rents every god damn year.

That's it. Last night's cramp didn't just ruin my sleep. It was a fucking bad omen and has ruined my day and probably my future. The end is nigh. All that's left is a third Numidium roflstomping the city. It also explains why the exam took longer than expected. It ALSO fucking explains why the exam was moved in the last minute to a much smaller room where there was really no space between examinees. Had they put someone taking the same exam as me next to me, I could've literally copied the entire exam. There was really no space. Combine that with the pathetically small deskspace you have...

THERE'S A REASON WHY EXAMS ARE TAKEN IN THE LARGER ROOM, GOD DAMNIT.

Come next nocturnal cramp and I'm running to the hills.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:32:54 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28784 on: October 25, 2013, 11:30:13 am »

Leaving me room to go to work, and I'm hit with the smell of weed coming from my parents' room. For crap's sake, it's barely 7AM. I'm halfway tempted to replace my stepdad's weed stash with Salvia Divinorum, but that may either A) kill him with shock(salvia itself isn't really dangerous), or B) put me in jail, since I don't actually know if salvia is actually legal in New York(Wikipedia says "...maybe, I don't know?"). Plus, I don't think I have the money for that much salvia.

Also, Oblivion is pissing me off. I try to create a companion using a custom hair and a piece of custom equipment, that latter simply because I didn't to bother with the extra step of going into the game and dropping it onto her. The hair worked, but the custom item not only didn't appear, but the original one in it's original spot(actually both originals, one was a tail-type accessory, the other an amulet-type), disappeared as well. On the companion, the item was presumably replaced with a <MISSING NAME> item.

Then the Construction Set started giving a shitfit when I tried to reload it, apparently removing the item from her inventory. Re-adding it didn't work. Disabling the companion plugin didn't recover the original items, nor did removing the plugin, nor did a full reinstall of the entire clothing set mod that these two items(which share the same model/texture). Apparently, disabling the clothing set plugin, saving the game, then re-enabling it did, but that doesn't explain why adding one item to a companion in a seperate plugin(note, the companion plugin was not active in the savegame at any point) broke it. And although I recovered the broken item, the companion, who was made step-by-step according to the CM Partners guide, is still bugged. I was just going to simply recruit her and play dress-up(the step I wanted to avoid having to do every time), but any time I try accessing her inventory, she strips naked, as opposed to automatically equipping everything according value. I tried recruiting one of the default CM Partners, and found when I accessed that person's inventory, the stuff my companion had teleported over somehow.

I'm just going to delete the whole damn plugin(all 5kb of it), and try again. And somehow, it all took about 2 hours of work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1917 1918 [1919] 1920 1921 ... 3345