Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1840 1841 [1842] 1843 1844 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3688884 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE: New rules, read them.
« Reply #27615 on: September 20, 2013, 08:02:47 pm »

They're not just quadratic, and the formula doesn't work quite as well when doing rational functions.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #27616 on: September 20, 2013, 08:06:42 pm »

The quadratic formula works for every single quadratic function with rational coefficients, iirc. Maybe irrational, too.

I learn Math II, which is half precalc, half calculus (diff and integration) with a bunch of other stuff, and Geometry and Vectors, which is about curves, spacial geometry, and vectors.

I know all the basics but I never get good scores~ :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27617 on: September 20, 2013, 08:07:10 pm »

Senior in Precalc/Advanced Algebra (So far, we've basically been redoing the last quarter or so of Algebra II), one textbook on a graphical approach to calculus.

I just wish that I could make how I factor polynomials stick in my head. Everything recently seems to have been based off of that. I can fudge it and get the answers by graphing it on my calculator most of the time, but it pisses my teacher off since she wants work shown.
There's an awesome method that involves guessing and long division, it's in Wikipedia here. If you want to know more about it, just post in the Mathematics Help Thread.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27618 on: September 20, 2013, 08:11:23 pm »

I don't like the quadratic formula, for some reason. I just never have. I can get the right answer, but because I don't do it the way my teacher wants it, I don't always get credit. Which is really stupid, because I can do the problem.
Argh. I'm going to get a 504 plan, but until then my math teacher is going to try her best to piss me off. She knows I need one too, but she doesn't care.

Arrggh.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #27619 on: September 20, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »

Senior in Precalc/Advanced Algebra (So far, we've basically been redoing the last quarter or so of Algebra II), one textbook on a graphical approach to calculus.

I just wish that I could make how I factor polynomials stick in my head. Everything recently seems to have been based off of that. I can fudge it and get the answers by graphing it on my calculator most of the time, but it pisses my teacher off since she wants work shown.
There's an awesome method that involves guessing and long division, it's in Wikipedia here. If you want to know more about it, just post in the Mathematics Help Thread.
Ohh, I wondered what it was in English. It's weird that it's named something like "method of assembling and reducing" in Korea.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #27620 on: September 20, 2013, 08:21:01 pm »

Besides, like I said, they're more often than not not quadratic. Also, that Ruffini's Rule looks... much more complicated. It also doesn't seem to have much to do with guessing or long division, but there's a lot of synthetic division.

Anyways, like Thecard said, I can do it. not quite the way the teacher wants, but it's the correct answer. At least not getting credit with this teacher is mostly harmless, with her policy of, "Only quizzes and tests count, you either pass or fail them (pass if you get an 80 or above), and passing the same section in one will override failure in the other" coupled with plenty of retake opportunities.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #27621 on: September 20, 2013, 08:24:55 pm »

Looks deceive. Ruffini's rule is the simplest way to factor polynomials as long as you can guess its zeros.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27622 on: September 20, 2013, 08:34:33 pm »

My internet is unusually slow tonight.
Seriously starting to cramp my style, given how it's already not the fastest internet, even at it's best.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27623 on: September 20, 2013, 08:38:10 pm »

...as long as you can guess its zeros.
And that's the most important part of that sentence.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #27624 on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:06 pm »

Well I messed up one note on my audition for orchestra chair placement and I got 7th chair. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #27625 on: September 20, 2013, 08:43:17 pm »

...as long as you can guess its zeros.
And that's the most important part of that sentence.

Lucky me, with a graphing calculator I can remove the guess bit. Finding zeroes is the easy part, going from there is less clear.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27626 on: September 20, 2013, 08:45:38 pm »

A few years ago I decided to use a calculator as little as possible, and this has helped me do mental math pretty quickly and accurately.

Unless, of course, it involves basic arithmetic. Then I'm fucked.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27627 on: September 20, 2013, 08:45:44 pm »

That's why you shouldn't skip years in math!
I SKIPPED NONE OF THEM
I WAS IN THE GT/CHALLENGE PROGRAM SINCE LIKE 2ND GRADE
IT CHANGED BECAUSE UNTIL FOURTH GRADE MY FAMILY MOVED SOMEWHERE ELSE EVERY YEAR
I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD BE IN LIKE MATH 3.5 OR SOOME SHIT
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27628 on: September 20, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »

By the way, I can totally imagine your avatar yelling that.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27629 on: September 20, 2013, 09:06:35 pm »

To continue my list of mundane rages, my mouse wheel is worn smooth and my finger slips over it.
D:
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 ... 1840 1841 [1842] 1843 1844 ... 3345