Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1781 1782 [1783] 1784 1785 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689788 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Geostupidity Edition
« Reply #26730 on: August 16, 2013, 05:27:28 pm »

They said "when can you start work, here's the gist of what we intend to offer.  We'd like you in ASAP."

I literally said "any time" and they said "Okay, want to pull up a chair over there?" (jokingly)
Backtracking on that sounds tremendously evil.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26731 on: August 16, 2013, 05:37:56 pm »

They said "when can you start work, here's the gist of what we intend to offer.  We'd like you in ASAP."

I literally said "any time" and they said "Okay, want to pull up a chair over there?" (jokingly)

Well apparently they don't think I'd work hard enough for them.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26732 on: August 16, 2013, 05:47:32 pm »

You should tell people not to apply to or work for them over any medium you can, and that they're willing to go back on their deals. That will make for decent revenge
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26733 on: August 16, 2013, 05:48:27 pm »

Well apparently they don't think I'd work hard enough for them.
I have to wonder what, exactly, they were ingesting when that idea occurred to them
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26734 on: August 16, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »

I don't know, apparently some people think I'm a flaky party girl who just wants to have fun and can't handle work that has some rote or boring components.  Who would have thought it.  I hate being bored, but seriously... that is not my problem, especially when embarking on a field in which I have no experience.  The more likely thing is someone who works between 10 and 16 hours a day every day on whatever they tell me to do.

Jesus Christ I have a math degree.  Who the hell do they think I am?

I think I'm going to go invest in some really ugly sweater-vests and argyle socks.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26735 on: August 16, 2013, 05:56:07 pm »

Oh man... that blows. Don't take this too hard. It is an INCREDIBLY competitive job environment right now, and everyone is going up against a large number of rivals for new positions. Still, to have the rug pulled out from under you like that... that's just not cool.

Dunno if it helps any, but that sounds like an HR Bullcrap reason to me. The actual reason could well be a lack of work history, or professional/personal references- one of the Catch 22s of jobbing. Big companies tend to play it safe, and being able to call in references from past employers tends to help them a lot. You can get personal references from mentors or other folks who know you too. For some reason, they treat other people as more of an authority on you than you are... though I guess it makes sense, in a Second Opinion kind of way.

If you haven't already, you might want to look into getting a reference letter or two from a professor, associate, or family friend. You can attach that sort of stuff to your resume, and it might help in the future.

Really sorry to hear this, though. Just keep at it. Something is bound to come through soon enough.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26736 on: August 16, 2013, 06:05:31 pm »

It's a tiny company (<15 people) and I have bulletproof references.  I was referred to the job by a professor to whom I exposed things she hadn't seen in a well-established subject she'd been teaching in 20 years, and which has been quite well-established for some 150 years.

My other references are one of the leads on my most recent job, my direct supervisor on my most recent job who kept on marveling at the fact that she was basically being paid for no work because I work so hard, and a tenured mathematician with whom I have written and published a book.  I am not quite sure what else one might want.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26737 on: August 16, 2013, 06:08:35 pm »

Quite possibly, a friend or relative.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26738 on: August 16, 2013, 06:10:11 pm »

It should be pretty easy to trash their reputation if they're that small.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26739 on: August 16, 2013, 06:11:09 pm »

It could have been some online activity they didn't like.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26740 on: August 16, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »

It could have been some online activity they didn't like.

Yes, I guessed that maybe they somehow managed to figure out who I actually am.  I have no idea how, but maybe they did it.

Suggestions?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26741 on: August 16, 2013, 06:13:37 pm »

She says that she's going to talk to the person who refused me and try to get them to see things her way, though... and there might be an internship possibility...

I don't know, that doesn't SOUND like someone who found me on the web.

EDIT: Could be that my LinkedIn profile isn't drooly enough.  Will go fix.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26742 on: August 16, 2013, 06:14:29 pm »

I don't think trashing their reputation is really important here, MSH. Don't make much sense. I also doubt they're internet-snooping you, unless there are easy-to-find links between your application information and your usernames. Highly doubtful.

Like I said, I think it was just a BS Human Resources reason covering up something they'd catch flack for reconsidering your app over. I've never been in a position to see the inner workings of hiring new employees, so I can only guess... but maybe they were afraid they'd have to pay you more, because you're so qualified. Maybe they wanted someone who'd been ground down by the system for a while, with less aspirations for advancement. Maybe they wanted someone they could hold on to long-term, and they knew you were looking to only be there temporarily until you returned to school... this one has cost me a few jobs before, and these days is one of the 2 or 3 things I would lie about during an interview, if asked.

Unfortunately, with some employers, part of the application process is telling them what they want to hear. :I
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:17:34 pm by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26743 on: August 16, 2013, 06:16:07 pm »

Yeah, they said the main thing was making a career of it.  They also, including the person who rejected me, said it was fine that I might not be making a career of it and a 3-year commitment was cool with them because it was hard to hold onto folks in that position.

? ? ?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26744 on: August 16, 2013, 06:16:27 pm »

They sound too small to have an HR department. And they should have their reputation trashed if they're willing to go back on a hire like that.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1781 1782 [1783] 1784 1785 ... 3345