Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1650 1651 [1652] 1653 1654 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690767 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Go To Bed Edition
« Reply #24765 on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:56 pm »

I'm still baffled. Is "I'm more willing to arrange a lie that does nothing but wreck your plans further than I am to admit I made a mistake" really the preferable outcome for her? I'm sorry you have to deal with this nonsense.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24766 on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:23 pm »

Apparently it is >__________>

Thanks for your sympathy, it's appreciated.  Wish me luck looking for other couches to crash on~
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24767 on: June 18, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »

I wish you more couches than you can handle. Just so many couches. A house made of couches, even.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24768 on: June 18, 2013, 09:44:49 pm »

Because that way she says no without saying no.  She gets to agree on rent and "tell me the address" and agree on a move-in day, and I find out that she actually said no privately, in a way that looks like an accident.

I asked for the real address and she said they "wanted to have another meeting" and were taking a long time deciding.  So what she does is make it impossible for me to move in.  A pocket veto!

And this was from a friend?

Judging by the second sentence, you're sure it wasn't just human error when one of you recorded the address? She really did intentionally give the wrong address?

Was it something she mentioned off-hand ("Oh, sure you can live with us!") which was never brought up again until just now? Have you explicitly asked her why she gave you the wrong address? And what's going on with the place?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24769 on: June 18, 2013, 09:49:10 pm »

That sounds like a ridiculously stupid thing to try to do to you.  Doesn't accomplish anything except making her look like a horrible person, instead of someone who just made a mistake.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24770 on: June 18, 2013, 09:51:48 pm »

Yeah, this was from a friend.  She... she has major issues with displeasing people because of, well, years of rape trauma, which only ended recently.  So I understand her lying, much as I don't appreciate it.  We've been talking about this pretty consistently for the past few weeks, negotiating rent and so on.

I am pretty sure that "Agangmg" is not a valid street name anywhere on the planet.  I am also pretty sure that if she was going to give me the real address, she could have done so after the first text, or phone call, or the second text (I sent her about one a day).  Instead she only replied with not a street address, but with "they still need to have another meeting, I don't know why it's such a big deal."

I haven't explicitly asked her why she gave me the wrong address, because it is pretty clear.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24771 on: June 18, 2013, 10:04:57 pm »

Yeah, this was from a friend.  She... she has major issues with displeasing people because of, well, years of rape trauma, which only ended recently.  So I understand her lying, much as I don't appreciate it.

That sucks.  I do understand how much experiences like that can fuck up a person's ability to make rational social decisions.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24772 on: June 18, 2013, 10:15:44 pm »

I can actually understand exactly how something like that might come about... It's pretty much something I would have done some years back.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24773 on: June 18, 2013, 11:15:54 pm »

[ring x3...]

"Who the ...?"

[picks up phone]

"Hello thi .... What...? [Name]...? Slow down .... Remember when you called me stupid? Yeah, slow down like I am.... Arrested? Again! I just.... Are you trying to set a record for quickest kick in the ass...? Well try not to make my job quite so impossible, huh...? Well quit giving them second chances to put you there.... Listen, shut up.... That is how I'm helping you.... Repeat after me, 'I am invoking my right to remain silent and will not speak without my lawyer present....' Don't say anything after that, just look at 'em like you're stupid, it should be easy.... Is he there...? Well, put him on the phone.... Just put him on the phone.... Yeah, hi Officer [name], I'll be there in a minute, my moron is invoking his constitutional right to silence.... How's [wife]...? Good to hear it, put my moron back on please.... [Name]...? Listen, they're recording this so don't talk about it, silence, golden....  Well after the last one I'm not sure if I can get you a personal bond again, but if we do, then maybe we'll go to your house or some other terrible place after you're out, ok...? Yeah, see you soon...."

Son of a ..., I just scratched that one off the list and he just jumps right back up to the top....

I dream of one beautiful day when phone calls with my family will not go like this....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:28:40 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #24774 on: June 19, 2013, 03:31:13 pm »

I just got my last check from Walmart. It was already expired, having been made in March, and the date it was sent to me was last week, according the stamp the Post Office put on the envelope.

Now I get to sit around on hold waiting for the person who probably didn't sent it soon enough in the first place to figure out how to clean up their mess. She seemed genuinely surprised and unsure of what to do when I said I was living in a different part of the country. No, I'm not driving an hour to the nearest Walmart to cash it. I live closer to my bank, and my bank only has one branch in the entire state. Just write me another check and actually send it this time.

All this for $29. They should pay me more for dealing with this crap.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24775 on: June 19, 2013, 04:07:28 pm »

So my best friend told me today that he's not going to pursue programming full time as he said he would do a few years ago.  Instead he's going to be an officer in the army and possibly program in his spare time.  Ha ha.  Well there goes one major plan I had for my life.  He and I were going to be a team, I'd make the art for games while he programs.  I guess neither one is working out for either of us after all.

Dear life,
Go fuck yourself.  With a cactus.
Sincerely,
Me

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24776 on: June 19, 2013, 04:21:07 pm »

If there's one, immutable truth I've heard from programmers, it's that you can't pin your coding hopes and dreams on anyone but yourself.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24777 on: June 19, 2013, 06:26:42 pm »

If there's one, immutable truth I've heard from programmers, it's that you can't pin your coding hopes and dreams on anyone but yourself.

Give a man a program, frustrate him for a day.
Teach a man to program, frustrate him for a lifetime.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24778 on: June 19, 2013, 07:23:55 pm »

In the middle of a major psychotic episode right now, what fun.

Let's go into everything leading up to this wonderful feeling, shall we? First, I have to take shit from the bully at work. I would have fired back, but the new student tour was standing 10 feet away. I tell my manager about this, and she responds with two absolutely worthless pieces of advice: remember that I'm better than him, and ignore him. The problem is, I assume he already knows that I'm better than him, why else would he be trying to bring me down to his level? And ignoring him only encourages the bastard. Right, so I go through the rest of the day feeling a bit overworked(even though I really haven't been), and for some odd reason feeling some minor cold hostility from one of my coworkers that I could very well just be imagining(I am going insane, you know).

Getting home, at some point I notice that somebody gave the dogs my box of breakfast cereal. I don't know how, let alone why anyone would do that(especially since I keep that box in my room), all I know is that I'm without anything for breakfast for the rest of the week. And, as with EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THING WRONG WITH MY LIFE, my mother seems to have convinced herself that it's my fault. Then my internet connection just stops working. I don't know why. It just does*. Then I broke a few things. And I'm sick of country music that my parents see fit to blast through the house when they're not home. I still want to break a few things.

*It was the router. I actually figured out how to access the router settings remotely. Turns out the owner never set a password. Just reset the thing, and poof, internet is back.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nwob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24779 on: June 19, 2013, 07:45:20 pm »

In the middle of a major psychotic episode right now, what fun.

Let's go into everything leading up to this wonderful feeling, shall we? First, I have to take shit from the bully at work. I would have fired back, but the new student tour was standing 10 feet away. I tell my manager about this, and she responds with two absolutely worthless pieces of advice: remember that I'm better than him, and ignore him. The problem is, I assume he already knows that I'm better than him, why else would he be trying to bring me down to his level? And ignoring him only encourages the bastard. Right, so I go through the rest of the day feeling a bit overworked(even though I really haven't been), and for some odd reason feeling some minor cold hostility from one of my coworkers that I could very well just be imagining(I am going insane, you know).

Getting home, at some point I notice that somebody gave the dogs my box of breakfast cereal. I don't know how, let alone why anyone would do that(especially since I keep that box in my room), all I know is that I'm without anything for breakfast for the rest of the week. And, as with EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THING WRONG WITH MY LIFE, my mother seems to have convinced herself that it's my fault. Then my internet connection just stops working. I don't know why. It just does*. Then I broke a few things. And I'm sick of country music that my parents see fit to blast through the house when they're not home. I still want to break a few things.

*It was the router. I actually figured out how to access the router settings remotely. Turns out the owner never set a password. Just reset the thing, and poof, internet is back.

If someone at your work is giving you shit and your manager won't do anything, escalate.  Tell their manager.  As for all that other crap, I'm sorry man.  Sounds pretty terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 1650 1651 [1652] 1653 1654 ... 3345