Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1639 1640 [1641] 1642 1643 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693893 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

Anyone else feel that people who fall for such obvious scams deserve to be taken advantage of? I mean, that's quite a lot of ignorance to not be willful.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone else feel that people who fall for such obvious scams deserve to be taken advantage of? I mean, that's quite a lot of ignorance to not be willful.

No. Double no because somebody awful is profiting for being awful, which deserves far more scrutiny than some people who're not operating at full mental capacity.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

psoriasis? i have it too.
I rage because of gases.
IIRC, though, you are less likely to get skin cancer.

You have that, at least!
...Yeah, seeing as I have little brown/black spots all over my body, in addition to flaky, irritated skin...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure the question here is why do you think it's a completely different situation, and Naxza understood pretty well what it was you were saying. Where's the line between trusting somebody online and wearing a low-cut dress?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Victim blaming is victim blaming, no matter how stupid the victim happened to be acting.

Basically no one is under any obligation in that sense to protect themselves from other's maliciousness. Period. Now, you can certain say such people are foolish or whatever (and probably you'd be accurate in saying so), but the fault for the crime likes SOLELY on the person who victimized them.

So, say someone goes down a dark alley at 3 am and gets mugged. Foolish? Yes. Their fault? No; that's the fault of the mugger still. Same goes for online scams/etc.

Foolishness and fault are separate things.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Here, let me help.
While I don't place blame upon people who put themselves in easily victimized situations and are unable to exhibit even the most basic internet savvyness, I find that seeing them stumble into what should be obvious danger is extremely frustrating, like watching a bad horror film. I also think MSH is the greatest person to have ever lived, ever, and dedicate my life to his cause.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Look hes trying to convene that people use common sense, he's not defending any action what so ever from the perpetrator hes only mad that lots of these false ads and shit can be avoided fucking easy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Victim blaming is victim blaming, no matter how stupid the victim happened to be acting.

Can we laugh at the victim when they've become a victim solely through moral failings? Hoist with their own petard and all that.
Surely there are SOME instances where something bad happens to someone but they legitimately "had it coming", right?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Can we laugh at the victim when they've become a victim solely through moral failings? Hoist with their own petard and all that.
Surely there are SOME instances where something bad happens to someone but they legitimately "had it coming", right?
So like, if someone tried to mug Bruce Lee and got beat up for it?

I'd still consider that a bad situation, just a better one than the alternative (someone getting mugged). If you wanna laugh at the irony go ahead.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

Er. Just to clarify, I never meant to defend the scammer for his actions, but that we can only go so far to protect people from their own stupidity.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I'm kinda with MSH's translated version of Greatorder's thoughts.

On the local news recently there's been a spree of scams going around, perpetrated by the same person each time.  The scammer is a woman in sunglasses.

The scam is that she says that she has a winning florida lotto ticket, but since she is not a legal U.S. Resident she needs money to cash it in.  She had to give the lotto officials 30000 up front to prove she wasn't trying to steal the winnings.  And that she would give the victim 100,000 in return.

On one hand you feel bad for the victim for being scammed, on the other hand you wonder how the hell they didn't know better than to fall for that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

First I was sad, now I'm plain angry.

I cannot donate blood in the US for the entire rest of my life. Why? Because I'm with a transwoman.

Fuck that. I'm lying if they ask me.
*hug* :(  I seriously considered donating blood months ago, and didn't remember until now that I'm legally barred from giving blood for being gay.  Fuck this country sometimes.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile

I cannot donate blood in the US for the entire rest of my life. Why? Because I'm with a transwoman.

*hug* :(  I seriously considered donating blood months ago, and didn't remember until now that I'm legally barred from giving blood for being gay.  Fuck this country sometimes.
What? How does that matter?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

What? How does that matter?
Mostly an outdated cautiousness. The ban was instituted back during the days when HIV was highly concentrated in the gay population (this is also the time period where "AIDS is divine punishment" came from) and there was no reliable test for the disease. As such the MSM blood donation ban was proposed as the most effective way to keep infected blood out of the supply pool.

Now that an effective test exists and is applied to all donated blood the bans are being limited or removed in some places, but medical organizations are resistant to changing it simply because of a precautionary mindset.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Technically doesn't matter if you are gay, exactly. It's just if you're a man who's had sex with a man or if you have ever had sex with a man who has had sex with a man. Which is actually different and often confusing.
Pages: 1 ... 1639 1640 [1641] 1642 1643 ... 3345