Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1628 1629 [1630] 1631 1632 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696500 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I hate to be the party pooper, but body shaming is not an appropriate response. Attack/criticize people for what they do, not the body they inhabit.
Those things are pretty strongly interlinked.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Next time you set your alarm, leave a note.

And another one someplace where they can't find it.

If the first note is gone, well, there's your answer.

If the note is still there but the alarm didn't go off... :P
Well, like I said, I'm not 100% sure I actually set it. My brain keeps giving me [DATA EXPUNGED] whenever I try to remember. I am 100% sure I have it set right now, just in case.

Raging me right now is Shores of Hazeron's updater. For some reason, it just stops downloading at some point. And the updater shows no indication of how much of a file is downloaded, just which files are still downloading. And there's no stand-alone update file, have to use the launcher to update, which also prevents going into the ship/building designer while its updating(although I can see a minor problem with allowing that).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

I hate to be the party pooper, but body shaming is not an appropriate response. Attack/criticize people for what they do, not the body they inhabit.
No.

If you were to call someone a "fat bitch" (I am not saying you are), you are attacking their size and their gender and their behaviour.

If you call someone an "asshole" (I am not saying you are), you are attacking their behaviour.

Word choice, and insult choice matters if we are going to build an egalitarian society.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

What.

No, no they aren't. At all.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

What.

Yes, they are. If someone is fat is because of something they do/have done/haven't done.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

What.

Yes, they are. If someone is fat is because of something they do/have done/haven't done.
And what if someone is missing an arm? What if they're blind? Deaf? Is that all their fault?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

What.

And what if someone is missing an arm? What if they're blind? Deaf? Is that all their fault?
Unless they did it themselves, no.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

Why do we have to be so sensitive when it comes to insults? Can't people just learn to take an insult, and not flip their shit whenever someone doesn't like them?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Word choice, and insult choice matters if we are going to build an egalitarian society.
This is just so laughable.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sorry, Will, but I can't agree with that. Preying on psychological vulnerabilities is simply that.

"Maybe you've gained weight" does nothing to this person that she isn't doing to Vector - i.e. preying on their insecurities. Should we be kind to her, because her insecurities happen to be of a different kind than Vector's, and fall in an area which you think should be protected? Fuck no. Live by the gun, die by the gun. If she's going to be hurling stones, maybe she shouldn't build her sense of self-worth out of glass, eh? She's responsibility-shaming Vector, who can't respond in turn because the person has no sense of responsibility. So you respond by going for her equivalent.

If it even worked. No guarantee it would, unfortunately, not knowing her myself.

I don't see how body shaming is any worse than ego-shaming or responsibility-shaming or guilting or threatening with financial damages any other sort or insecurity strike or verbal assault. And is suggesting someone gained weight even body shaming? Would someone who was actually overweight and standing nearby react negatively to the comment? Would they think it reflected poorly on them? I don't think it would.

It's a beautiful insults because it only works against people actively perpetrating the non-egalitarian beliefs you think it encourages...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:11:32 pm by GlyphGryph »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

A friendly reminder: keep it chill.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think weight gain isn't the problem here. Sounds like she's just a kinda crappy person, and has lived an entitled and comfortable life... and probably lacks a lot of perspective, personal responsibility, etc.

Sorry she's being dumb and entitled, and I hope it works out.

Having a budget arguement with someone.

His proposal: Unspecified cuts to the budget by 2 trillion dollars a year, to pay off the debt in 7 or so years.

My retort: a factual analysis that such a budget would eliminate all discretionary spending including all military and law enforcement, as well as ending social security and federal health care that keeps millions of people alive. Your proposal will end America.

My proposal: The budget submitted by the Congressional Progressive Caucus, that balances the budget pays down the debt mildly over the course of several years.

His retort: Oh yea? I bet they don't even have a plan in their budget for completely ignoring the budget and loading down with liberal wars and social programs. Prove they have a budget that includes not following the budget before I will even bother to explain how a 2 trillion dollar cut in spending won't end America as a nation. Just because. Now I fling poop at you.

[paraphrased]

I love these kinds of debates. By which I mean I don't love them at all. Some people find it a lot easier to believe things than understand them.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

Why do we have to be so sensitive when it comes to insults? Can't people just learn to take an insult, and not flip their shit whenever someone doesn't like them?
Why can't you just be a better person? Why can't you make life better for other people?

I'm sorry, Will, but I can't agree with that. Preying on psychological vulnerabilities is simply that.

"Maybe you've gained weight" does nothing to this person that she isn't doing to Vector - i.e. preying on their insecurities. Should we be kind to her, because her insecurities happen to be of a different kind than Vector's, and fall in an area which you think should be protected? Fuck no. Live by the gun, die by the gun. If she's going to be hurling stones, maybe she shouldn't build her sense of self-worth out of glass, eh?

If it even worked. No guarantee it would, unfortunately, not knowing her myself.

I don't see how body shaming is any worse than any other sort or insecurity strike. And is suggesting someone gained weight even body shaming? Would someone who was actually overweight and standing nearby react negatively to the comment? Would they think it reflected poorly on them? I don't think it would.
Okay, I get it, an eye for an eye. Man, as soon as I am trying to be progressive, people are quoting the Bible at me.

As a society, we're facing enough shit in general when it comes to corporations preying on our insecurities. Should we really be promoting actions which continue this cycle? At a certain point, people have to stop preying on the insecurities of others. It needs to stop.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

Because it's unrealistic. I'm already a decent, probably below decent person. Pretty much everyone is (Including yourself probably), there's no need to go on some kind of crusade to make people more sensitive to other people's feelings. Humans aren't insecure and jerks because corporations are preying on their feelings, we're just naturally like that. So either people can continue getting horribly offended when someone insults them for the rest of their life, or they can adapt a more realistic view and just not give a shit.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Insecurities exist within the minds of those who have them and are a problem which they need to face, not ignore. Once they have dealt with it, it cannot be used against them. This ends the cycle of insecurities.
Yet the fact that these conflicts exist is not down to insecurities.
When you act in an indecent manner, do not be surprised when the decent refuse to treat you in any way other than what you have made yourself to be.
The progressive paradise of one where you can be the better person and act in kind does not exist, for there are always those people who cannot listen to reason, who look at progressive ideals as weaknesses and hurt everyone around them as long as it upholds their notion of invincibility.
Subjecting them to their own treatment is a rather fitting dose of retribution.
Pages: 1 ... 1628 1629 [1630] 1631 1632 ... 3345