Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1577 1578 [1579] 1580 1581 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703790 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

glow-in-the-dark shephard

what

why
You'll see. And you might also see why lots of people play extremely Renegade Femsheps from ME2 onwards.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The real shame is that there's so few places where you can actually get to see the glowing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, I heard that Paragon is better >_>

Right now I'm playing a 50-50 split (femshep), because that's who I am (not a guns-blazing jackass, but also not really prone to saying "Oh, you fucked up, let me hold your hand and listen to soft music on the record player").  However, I'm not seeing a lot of reasons to listen to the council.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Right now I'm playing a 50-50 split (femshep), because that's who I am (not a guns-blazing jackass, but also not really prone to saying "Oh, you fucked up, let me hold your hand and listen to soft music on the record player").  However, I'm not seeing a lot of reasons to listen to the council.
The council is a bunch of douchebags in all of the games, even in the second one since they didn't even bother to check out you are alive (pretty much after 1, Spectre status is considered shit and useless and nonexistence, hell if they have their own clandestine military outfit you think they would have a major impact in 3)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Time to add my mouse suddenly barely working to the list of things driving me to murder every person in a half-kilometer radius. I had a replacement, but I can't find it, and it's ugly and painful to use. I don't have money on my debit card(due to previously mentioned problems), so I can't even order a new one until probably this weekend.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was how I typically played with my first playthroughs. And don't worry about the glow in the dark thing, it's just something that I thought was a hilarious novelty. There's supposed to be other "evil" aesthetic changes, but the glowing was the thing that was most noticable for me when I went full renegade in one of my other playthroughs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

People generally refer to your approach as "Paragade". The opposite, saying lots of soothing Paragon things while actually making Renegade decisions, is referred to as "Renegon" (though I'd call it "Functioning Psychopath").
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What, is Renegade evil?  I thought it was just chaos vs. order with a side of sanctimonious or violent douchebag, depending.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

No, Renegade is not evil. Not exactly, anyway. At basic, Paragon is either a straight or reconstructed hero, while Renegade is an anti- or deconstructed hero.

That said, extreme dedication to Renegade decisions could certainly put Shepard in a category that some people would see as evil. On the other hand, extreme dedication to Paragon decisions could make Shepard seem ineffectual and naive.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not supposed to be evil per se, but some of the way they do it some of the decisions you get to make definitely come across as evil. Even though they're supposedly done in the name of the greater good.

It's getting really hard to talk about this stuff without spoiling it for you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay :I

I guess this is my real question: is it really necessary to pick one or the other explicitly, or can I just go decision by decision?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Paragon is the "Save ever last person" approach, while Renegade is "Whatever it takes".  At least in the first two.  In ME3 it's (actual spoiler)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ME3 Renegade makes Sheperd just an asshole, not an anti-hero.

However, no matter what happens, there will be interrupts and decisions that no one can avoid.  Like the Paragon Tali interupt, Renegade Kai Leng interupt, and punching the reporter in the face.  In ALL the games

By all means, do it decision by decision.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Okay :I

I guess this is my real question: is it really necessary to pick one or the other explicitly, or can I just go decision by decision?
You can and probably should go decision by decision, though you should be careful not to make Shepard seem like a hypocrite if you do that. It is easier to to go from one to the other after ME1, since you don't have to buy points in Charm or Intimidate to use relevant dialogue options (they are unlocked purely by your Paragon/Renegade level after that).
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

However, no matter what happens, there will be interrupts and decisions that no one can avoid.  Like the Paragon Tali interupt, Renegade Kai Leng interupt, and punching the reporter in the face.  In ALL the games

This Paragon Shepard never punched the reporter in the face. Instead, he publicly humiliated her on her own show by displaying how much of a no-talent hack she was. Twice.

I have yet to play Renegade enough to avoid hugging Tali  :-[
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

This Paragon Shepard never punched the reporter in the face. Instead, he publicly humiliated her on her own show by displaying how much of a no-talent hack she was. Twice.

I have yet to play Renegade enough to avoid hugging Tali  :-[
Wait, you can talk her down in ME2 as well?
Totally doing this.
Also, Garrus.
Best.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 1577 1578 [1579] 1580 1581 ... 3345