Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1503 1504 [1505] 1506 1507 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3707809 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I too have had every indication that pneumonia is usually caused by a bacterial infection rather than a viral or fungal infection. You can still develop a resistance to the specific strain of bacteria in question if exposed to it beforehand in a controlled manner, just like viral vaccinations, I suppose, but I also have understood that bacterial infections usually get out of hand most readily while your immune system is weak or because there are just too god damn many bacteria to control the population.

Either way, last real bad cough I had was when I had tonsillitis or whatnot (infection of the tonsils) and "whooping cough" or something. Or maybe the time I tried to inhale my water instead of drink it. :P

More on topic, one thing that pissed me off today is my brother's damnable mouth. Never can he speak to somebody in anything resembling a polite, respectful tone or avoid cursing with every other word.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

You broke your ribs from coughing? Good lord!  :o
Feel fortunate for this feeling feeling foreign for you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Option 3: I'm right and the cost to my reputation isn't worth it
Is reputation better than safety?

And about breaking your ribs from coughing, coughing causes rapid inflation and deflation of the lungs, with associated muscle contrations and changes of pressure applied to the ribcage(or at least, that's what it feels like). So it seems plausible that a particularly violent cough or series of coughs can cause enough force to fracture the bone.

* Please note that Akura is not an expert in respiratory healt, and is in fact, not a licensed medical practitioner, and can not therefore furnish medical advice, care, or prescribe medications of any kind, including painkillers, although he can still score you some for $20 a pill, delivered in a plastic zip-lock bag, if you meet him in the alley behind that sleazy nightclub. Cash only, no questions please.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Option 3: I'm wrong and I ruin some poor fucker's life and embarrass him or
Option 3: I'm wrong and it becomes a big political incident
Option 3: I'm right and the cost to my reputation isn't worth it
Except all these outcomes are based on wrong and right, as if there was some objective measure for this. If you go to the police and they say they will look into it, but end up doing nothing, from an objective view point this might qualify as being 'wrong', but if you get peace of mind and feel better about the situation, then they still helped you.
The point of the exercise is to not end up in the rage thread every time you happen to be in the same space as him, not prove or disprove anybodies intention.

Fuck Vector, you payed Mafia, you should know that vague stabs at people thoughts are ineffective. How should you know if he was just having a crap day today or actually wishes you physical harm? You can't. Just know that if you feel in an uncomfortable situation, there is something you can do about it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Tell me this, dear university of mine: If you really are one of the top research areas for computer science, then why the fuck is your internet connection so damn slow? Not just its wi-fi is atrocious, even the website connection takes on average 20 seconds to respond, which is not enough time to tab away, but more than enough time to erode at your patience. A thing that could have taken 2 minutes with a decent connection just took half an hour to do. It really didn't help that the site is so poorly designed that you need to load five new pages to do anything that could have been done in a single JS click with a better site design.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I looked it up.  Unless he shows criminal intent to make me afraid, there's nothing the police can do.

I'm going to go talk to the person he considers his best friend (who doesn't think of him all that well).  This person offered multiple times to be an intermediary for us while we were dating.  Hopefully he'll be willing to intercede.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Tell me this, dear university of mine: If you really are one of the top research areas for computer science, then why the fuck is your internet connection so damn slow? Not just its wi-fi is atrocious, even the website connection takes on average 20 seconds to respond, which is not enough time to tab away, but more than enough time to erode at your patience. A thing that could have taken 2 minutes with a decent connection just took half an hour to do. It really didn't help that the site is so poorly designed that you need to load five new pages to do anything that could have been done in a single JS click with a better site design.

Heh, I feel that pain. A couple of years ago I've been part of a team in a competition about them Intarwebz, with subjects focusing on the technical parts (binary/hexadecimal to decimal conversion, data transmission types, cables used and so on) and we somehow managed to get to the finals (amazingly, given that one teammember knew nothing at all and got drunk the day before the finals).

The finals were a nationwide thing, with teams from all over the country arriving, so to handle it all, the questions were given and answered over the Internet. I think you can see where this is going.

During, once again, a test about the structure of the Internet the internet connection crashed. TWICE. Somehow, the organizers, a telecommunications company, had not made sure they can handle so many data all at once.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I talked to a different friend, and he said something I found very insightful: apparently he's noticed a trend in autistic-flavored people that doesn't appear in the general population.

a. We see no difference between trying to destroy someone socially, physically, intellectually, or psychologically
b. We are highly goal-oriented.  There's always a plan.

(Actually, my therapist said something (very mild and unclear, but it was sort of on the same topic as a.) about this a few years ago, too.)

Add that to c

c. Apparently folks with a more normal mentality tend more towards thinking that petty vengeance towards people you hate is okay (whereas autistic folks are more likely to go with either the inaction route or the raze the fields and sow them with salt route)

I think we have an explanation.  Apparently this is just the sort of thing that most people do after breakups!  I had no idea.  I sort of feel like if you're trying to damage someone, there's not all that much difference between ruining their friendships and, I dunno, leaving threatening notes and persistently tripping them.  But apparently most people don't perceive it that way.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I sort of feel like if you're trying to damage someone, there's not all that much difference between ruining their friendships and, I dunno, leaving threatening notes and persistently tripping them.  But apparently most people don't perceive it that way.
I can see tripping as being different if it's going to cause physical damage.
But the other two are both emotional. And not really very different at all.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right.

I'm saying that I, personally, see not all that much difference between physical and emotional damage.  It's an integral part of how I view the world.  For most people, this is apparently not the case.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right.

I'm saying that I, personally, see not all that much difference between physical and emotional damage.  It's an integral part of how I view the world.  For most people, this is apparently not the case.
But... I have to nitpick. It is my duty D:
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Windows Explorer crashed three times over the course of me trying to get some photos from my phone to my computer. I don't know what that means but I really don't like it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=91031

Found the source of all those really pissing off youtube comments on the rare videos involving somewhat intelligent discussions.
No, someone in that thread mentioned replying to that copypasta before that thread existed.

I found the true source.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Right.

I'm with you on this.  In fact, I think that emotional/social damage is often worse, and it's always bothered me that most people don't recognize this.

c. Apparently folks with a more normal mentality tend more towards thinking that petty vengeance towards people you hate is okay (whereas autistic folks are more likely to go with either the inaction route or the raze the fields and sow them with salt route)

I think we have an explanation.  Apparently this is just the sort of thing that most people do after breakups!  I had no idea.  I sort of feel like if you're trying to damage someone, there's not all that much difference between ruining their friendships and, I dunno, leaving threatening notes and persistently tripping them.  But apparently most people don't perceive it that way.

I... can actually maybe see this... I think it's absolutely horribly unacceptable and immature behavior, but I've seen lots and lots of people behave this way, especially petty vengeance for fun.  It does seem to become less common once you get past your mid-20s, though... or perhaps I just don't see it as much, because I've become more recluse.  Urgh...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I... can actually maybe see this... I think it's absolutely horribly unacceptable and immature behavior, but I've seen lots and lots of people behave this way, especially petty vengeance for fun.  It does seem to become less common once you get past your mid-20s, though... or perhaps I just don't see it as much, because I've become more recluse.  Urgh...
I think that it's more that it shifts from physical and overt emotional prodding to verbal sniping and passive-aggressiveness. Things like divorced parents trying to turn the children against their ex and their ex's family. At least that's what I've seen in the wake of one divorce, and in the daily interactions between co-workers who dislike each other.

Though to be fair there are plenty of people old enough to know better who do still behave like children when they're dealing with a dysfunctional or former relationship.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1503 1504 [1505] 1506 1507 ... 3345