Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1488 1489 [1490] 1491 1492 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3708196 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You've probably heard me rant about my great books group before. So, I'll shorten it up this time. Three of them believe that is impossible to know if the sun circles the earth of the earth circles the sun. Three. Of. Them.
One of my favourite parts of the old heliocentrism debate was the whole issue of parallax in the stars, or rather the lack thereof.

Because as numerous people pointed out, the stars stay motionless relative to each other (at least to any measurements they were capable of making at the time), and if that's the case, but the earth revolves around the sun, then either the stars had to be "painted" on a sphere that was centred around the earth, or the stars were at such a great distance as to seem not to move when the earth made it's orbit. This latter was of course considered ridiculous, especially since the stars would have to have such a ludicrous size and brightness to still be visible from so far away that the earth would be tiny in comparison. Preposterous I say, preposterous!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I think one of the largest stars we know of is bigger than our solar system. At the very LEAST bigger than the inner solar system...

So cool. @_@
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Doesn't stuff circle round a point between them anyway? Which in the case of the sun/earth is somewhere in or nearby the sun.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Doesn't stuff circle round a point between them anyway? Which in the case of the sun/earth is somewhere in or nearby the sun.
Correct on both fronts.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's how it works. Gravity attracts each other, just the sun is so huge that it's inside the sun. It does wobble though, that's how we know.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The thing that typically cinched the issue was the positioning of the other planets. Once you pay attention to the positioning and distance of all the planets it becomes obvious that they're orbiting the sun. There was some futzing around with the tychonic system and such where the earth stays still, but the sun revolves a fixed distance from the earth and the rest of the planets revolve a fixed distance from the sun, but honestly I think by that point a lot of people were just feeling silly.

There is of course still a certain argument to be made that the earth is the centre of the universe, but you'd have to accept that the entire solarsystem has to roll around the earth like a big circle with a hole where the earth is, and in turn the whole galaxy has to revolve around the earth in a similar fashion, and then the whole universe has to do some revolving around the earth as well...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And that argument goes down the tubes when you realize that past a certain distance, things would have to be moving faster than the speed of light to revolve around Earth at the rate it does...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

We ARE the center of the observable universe, though!

Kind of a technicality, though. We'd still be the center if we lived in Andromeda...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And that argument goes down the tubes when you realize that past a certain distance, things would have to be moving faster than the speed of light to revolve around Earth at the rate it does...
Well obviously, but the speed of light is also obviously a conspiracy concocted to keep the heliocentric model in place. Don't you know anything?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

In fact, technically, everywhere is the center, because no matter where you are, everything is expanding away from you.
But what if you're at the edge.

There is an edge right :?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What
The
Fuck
(standard disclaimer about not reading comments goes here)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

*Attempts at civil discourse*

"Shut the fuck up! Shut the fuck up! Shut the fuck up! You're a hate group!"

Y'know, there's is a lot of sexism being hidden under the aegis of MRA, but holy shit I'm sick of these absolutist hypocrites opposing it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

You've probably heard me rant about my great books group before. So, I'll shorten it up this time. Three of them believe that is impossible to know if the sun circles the earth of the earth circles the sun. Three. Of. Them.
Is that as in a "You could portray the centre of the universe as anything" way, or a "Everything orbits the Earth because we are most important" way?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Y'know, there's is a lot of sexism being hidden under the aegis of MRA, but holy shit I'm sick of these absolutist hypocrites opposing it.
If you listen to the angry raging feminist she does bring up some half decent points. Shame she went about it trying to silence the opposition instead of having a civil discussion with them.
Pages: 1 ... 1488 1489 [1490] 1491 1492 ... 3345