Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1454 1455 [1456] 1457 1458 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709662 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

What exactly is Aspergers?
A type of high functioning autism where as the primary symptom is having trouble expressing empathy. That isn't to say people with aspergers don't have empathy, they just have trouble using it to know the correct way to act in social situations.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Implement This Edition
« Reply #21826 on: March 18, 2013, 06:41:13 pm »

A type of high functioning autism where as the primary symptom is having trouble expressing empathy. That isn't to say people with aspergers don't have empathy, they just have trouble using it to know the correct way to act in social situations.
Unfortunately, this has spurred a number of people on the internet to self-diagnose themselves with Asperger's and use it as a justification for everything, but mostly for being an asshole. This has rendered the syndrome somewhat infamous among certain circles.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Better known as arseholeosis.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile

I honestly don't know if I've got any genuine mental problems.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Yea, being an asshole is just being an asshole.
Also there is a stereotype that people with aspergers are quiet and super-mega-insane-smart in every possible aspect so they like to indentify with that, leading to more self diagnosis.
Lets just ignore the fact that many with aspergers actually have trouble balancing their schedule, thus leading to difficulties in traditional education systems, or the fact that some with aspergers are actually kind of loud, especially in inappropriate moments.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I've been variously diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, depression, and anger problems at different points in my life.
Curiously, my parents once thought I might have Asperger's syndrome, though my psychiatrist shot down that idea. So I can't use that as an excuse to be a jerk anymore :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, this has spurred a number of people on the internet to self-diagnose themselves with Asperger's and use it as a justification for everything, but mostly for being an asshole. This has rendered the syndrome somewhat infamous among certain circles.
This sort of thing is why I never claim aspergers as the reason why I do something, I might tell people about the diagnosis if it's relevant, but honestly, people don't proclaim that they did something because they're neurotypical, why should I make excuses for my behaviour?

Plus I have a bit of a loathing for the label on account of the stuff that was done to me with the justification that I was aspergers.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

I've been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.
Can't really disagree, some of the signs are kind of obvious...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

All I have is maybe PDD-NOS, which here means "maybe has some autism tendenceis but also maybe not".

Other than that, I'm apparently a model of mental health.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I've never seen a psychologist.

As far as I have ever been aware, only rich people have psychologists.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Rich people and anybody living in a country with public health care.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

The NHS has psychologists?
This is news to me. I thought that there were only private psychologists.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm not that convinced of my diagnosis myself. I can have tremendous empathy when it's positive emotions. I just don't internalize others' negative emotions. If someone is sad, I'm sympathetic -- I'm not sad too. Or I might be sad *for* them, but not sad because of what they're sad about if it doesn't directly impact me.

Plus, I just don't really do "grief". Even when my grandfather died, I held it together much better than I expected. Focused on the positives and just accepted it as another of life's changes. I credit Taoism for that more than I do a supposed lack of empathy.

I'm actually supposed to be making an appointment with a psychologist soon, as a precondition from my brodude for continuing to stay at his house after wrecking the place twice in six weeks.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile

You still have to go to the psychologist in the first place. There can be a huge stigma not only on yourself, but your parents when you are young as your parents taking you to a psych to them might be akin to admitting that they haven't looked after you properly.

I'm a staunch believer in the fact that everyone who isn't boring has at least some mental problems - although most of these are contained.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

The NHS has psychologists?
This is news to me. I thought that there were only private psychologists.
Australia does, assuming you qualify. They have a list of recognized metal disorders they are willing to help you with.
For less dire cases, there are other less intimate services.
Pages: 1 ... 1454 1455 [1456] 1457 1458 ... 3345