Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1449 1450 [1451] 1452 1453 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709823 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Implement This Edition
« Reply #21750 on: March 17, 2013, 04:00:10 pm »

And really, when are you going to need to do ninety pythagorean theorums in an hour and a half. Really.
You won't. Everything uses sines and cosines nowadays; get with the program. :P

That said, I do in fact still use the pythagorean theorem occasionally for dynamics homework - whenever I don't want to deal with a/sin(arctan(a/b)) or b/cos(arctan(a/b)). Plus the few trig identities I know can be directly derived from the pythagorean theorem, so it definitely has its uses.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21751 on: March 17, 2013, 04:07:43 pm »

I'm not saying it ins't useful, as being a welder, I'm going to use it, but ffs we learned this in grade school. I don't need to learn it in college!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21752 on: March 17, 2013, 05:04:05 pm »

Uh... did google kill your family?
It killed the youtubes, again and again.

Yes.  >:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21753 on: March 17, 2013, 08:33:26 pm »

People talking about trans kids being too young to know whether they're trans. It's the same exact argument that gets used against gay kids. But there's never any "old enough" to come out. It's just an excuse people use so they can ignore it for longer.

Little Jimmy is 7 and he's gay. But no, he's too young to know his sexuality. He hasn't even gone through puberty! Sure, all the other little boys in his class that are teasing girls and getting crushes aren't too young to know they're straight, but it's different when you're gay, I guess. So he'll wait a while.

Jimmy's 14 now, and he's still gay. But no, he's just going through a phase now. He's in the middle of puberty and he's just confused. He's not even an adult yet! Sure, all the other boys in his class that are getting girlfriends and losing their virginities aren't going through a "straight phase", but once again, it must be different when you're gay. So he'll keep waiting.

Jimmy is 21 now. Still gay. But no, he's just experimenting in college. Everyone does that - he's in a new environment with new people and he's questioning his identity. He hasn't even really grown up yet! Sure, all the people around him partying and getting engaged aren't "experimenting with people of the opposite sex," but it's not the same thing for them. So he'll wait some more.

Jim is 28 now, and yep, he's still gay. But no, he just hasn't found the right woman yet. Don't worry, pretty soon he'll find her and he'll settle down and figure out what he really wants. I mean, all his straight buddies didn't have to wait for the right man to find out they were secretly gay, but it's different when you're gay, I guess.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21754 on: March 17, 2013, 10:41:28 pm »

People talking about trans kids being too young to know whether they're trans. It's the same exact argument that gets used against gay kids. But there's never any "old enough" to come out. It's just an excuse people use so they can ignore it for longer.

In relation to trans it's mostly about the kid taking hormone therapy. The rationale is always that if they take hormones/blockers when they're young it could be a mistake and ruin their lives, which totally ignores that it'll potentially ruin their lives at least as much if they don't do that. It's like... "Hey, the hetero/cis-perspectives aren't the only ones deserving of consideration people!" But given how LGBT people are still fighting for some basic legal rights I don't think that sort of acceptance will be reached in a while.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21755 on: March 17, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »

Are there not health concerns with that kind of procedure at too young an age?  Telling a boy he can't act feminine if he wants would be total bullshit, but I can understand taking a medical procedure more seriously.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21756 on: March 17, 2013, 11:31:08 pm »

The hormones are best started when the kid is young, so that the whole "puberty twice" thing isn't necessary.  Surgery... yeah, that's usually done later.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21757 on: March 17, 2013, 11:41:05 pm »

Hmm... I confess to knowing little about it, and the average person probably knows even less.  Hence the rotten situation a trans kid is faced likely faced with.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21758 on: March 17, 2013, 11:42:28 pm »

I've researched it quite a bit and never found anything to suggest hormone therapy was more dangerous at younger ages. Effectively it replaces the person's puberty with one that fits their desired gender. Most of the complications arise from factors in later life, such as smoking or obesity, and the increased risk of blood clots.

And as Vector said, SRS surgery is typically done way later anyway while doing hormones when young has the strongest effects and potentially saves a lot of money and hassle as preventing male puberty removes the need for a lot of surgery.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21759 on: March 17, 2013, 11:44:56 pm »

Honestly I am curious if Hermaphidilia (a made up term I just made up) is a birth defect.

I mean, I think it is as I cannot imagine this being an ordinary process. Yet is it one?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21760 on: March 17, 2013, 11:46:48 pm »

. . . You just made up a term and you expect us to figure out what that means?  That's kind of absurd.

Also, what you're saying is... really offensive...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21761 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:43 pm »

Honestly I am curious if Hermaphidilia (a made up term I just made up) is a birth defect.

I mean, I think it is as I cannot imagine this being an ordinary process. Yet is it one?
Are you drunk? I am. That made no sense, either way.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21762 on: March 17, 2013, 11:51:39 pm »

Did you really just ask if a made up term is a birth defect?

How the Hell are we supposed to know?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21763 on: March 17, 2013, 11:52:05 pm »

Are you drunk? I am. That made no sense, either way.

I don't know the correct term so I am making one up. Any offense you take from it is purely constructed within your own mind Vector.

Hermaphodite, being one. Is it a birth defect?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21764 on: March 17, 2013, 11:53:19 pm »

I think you're asking if being transgendered is a birth defect.  I dunno, what do you think?  Usually "birth defect" means "the kid is not going to be able to survive in the world it's been born into."

What do you think people usually do to babies that have birth defects?

Pages: 1 ... 1449 1450 [1451] 1452 1453 ... 3345