Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690266 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Delayed Calamities Edition
« Reply #19725 on: January 10, 2013, 07:58:01 pm »

Also, /my_subscriptions/ still works.
Still roughly 55% wasted space, though.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Delayed Calamities Edition
« Reply #19726 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:57 pm »

Also, /my_subscriptions/ still works.
Still roughly 55% wasted space, though.
Use a smaller monitor? Its only about 30% on here.
/nothelping
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19727 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:27 pm »

A long, long time ago, I raged. Apparently people thought it was entertaining. Well, guess what?

I'm slightly put off. A tad irked. I daresay I'm RATHER MIFFED.

You know why?

Because of the CATASTROPHIC ABOMINATION the American public education system has made of foreign languages.

Now, don't get me wrong. The pursuit of education amongst new generations is a noble and worthwhile pursuit. When you step back and consider the sheer scope of this system, the fact it manages to work to even the extent it does is amazing. I'm fortunate that the high school I attend is staffed by, for the most part, teachers who genuinely care about the students, curriculum, and their effect on us.

But... foreign language classes...

By reducing the assumed mental capacities of us students unto that of kindergartners, forcing our hands towards DEPLORABLE BUSY-WORK with the TERRIBLE INJUSTICE of a GRADE weighted 25% TOWARDS THE COMPLETION OF NONSENSICAL CLAPTRAP OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL and 40% TOWARDS THE PARTICIPATION OF THE STUDENTS IN MIND-NUMBING OPPROBRIUS INEPTITUDE WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE AFOREMENTIONED SCHOOL, the activities of teenagers who would OTHERWISE become EXCEEDINGLY COMPETENT IN THE HANDLING OF THE SPANISH LEXICON are restricted to the IMMESUARABLE, INCOMMENSURATELY APPORTIONED REDUNDANCY OF THE MOTIVATIONALLY CHALLENGED. The RELENTLESS TIDES of INSUFFERABLE NOTECARDS and NONGERMANE, CHILDISH DRAWINGS within the STRICT CONFINES OF FINITE TEMPORALITY REND MY PATIENCE AGONIZINGLY IN TWAIN. SUCH SUFFERING OF THE TORTURED BASAL GANGLIA AND CEREBELLUM KNOWS NO BOUNDS.

Bluh.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19728 on: January 10, 2013, 10:20:15 pm »

Needs more caps.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19729 on: January 10, 2013, 10:27:25 pm »

Needs more caps.

To me, they're merited. To fulfill graduation requirements, I'm stuck spending fourth block for an entire semester learning Spanish at a snail's pace while surrounded by cretinous freshmen who, like me, don't care for the subject, but, unlike me, can't be bothered to move their fat asses (mentally speaking) to actually give the class a chance at moving faster. I know, even if they did, the class would still follow in incredibly slow curriculum, but I just really freaking wish that we would actually be able to study and learn at our own pace with a test at the end to make sure we're have the knowledge that would be required from the class. The current situation chafes at my nerves like a sandblaster in a bathing suit at the beach.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19730 on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:50 pm »

Damn.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19731 on: January 10, 2013, 10:29:03 pm »

Tried talking to the teacher about it any? Or the guidance counselor? Or... someone? Maybe you can wiggle something out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19732 on: January 10, 2013, 10:32:47 pm »

Try taking it online, if possible.  That's what I'm doing for every class that doesn't have an honors/AP variant.  Or if they are still at that level, but has freshmen in it.   I can't stand dealing with freshman/idiots. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19733 on: January 10, 2013, 10:51:56 pm »

That's pretty much how American schools work all around. I took Spanish all four years of high school, I.B. for the latter two, and it was essentially the same class each year. If you want something else related to public schools and language to rage about, try the way so many high schools have dropped Latin.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #19734 on: January 10, 2013, 10:54:42 pm »

Ah, someone else who took Baccalaureate classes. Fun stuff.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19735 on: January 10, 2013, 10:55:36 pm »

...the way so many high schools have dropped Latin.

That has bugged me for a long time. Out of all the second languages that could be offered, Latin would be by far my top choice.

Try taking it online, if possible.

I'm curious about that possibility, but I'm not holding out much hope for being able to drop a class a week after it started.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19736 on: January 10, 2013, 11:13:20 pm »

It... kinda' depends on the situation. I ended up dropping latin half way through the semester in high school (for half credit -- it was online, and so far I just haven't had much luck with studying languages online. Much better response when I'm in a classroom with a teacher.), and my last half year of high school was... odd. In that I switched over to the local adult school and basically taught myself the last half year of classes I needed to get a high school diploma (best period of high school I ever experienced). Extenuating circumstance there being a somewhat influential parent in the system, but everything was done above board and through the system.

The general point is that there may be options. You won't know unless you ask around and see what's possible, if anything.

E: Though I'm not exactly surprised latin's dropping. The language itself is kinda', y'know. Dead. And other languages aren't. And they could be spending money teaching languages people actually use even remotely regularly for communication. Instead of one that's primarily useful for puzzling out some scientific/medical terms, a little bit of vocab, and... not much else.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:16:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19737 on: January 10, 2013, 11:15:54 pm »

It's honestly sort of sad how my I.B. classes in high school were more educational and more involved than most of my courses thusfar at uni. Hell, I've had professors who aren't comfortable with the idea of discussion via Socratic seminar, though I suspect that's more due to the inability of the same to spend five minutes without dominating the discussion and bolstering their ego by being passive-aggressively demeaning towards undergrads.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #19738 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:18 pm »

No child left behind...

Sadly, there are stupid people in this world, and they are dragging us down with them.

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19739 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:36 pm »

It's honestly sort of sad how my I.B. classes in high school were more educational and more involved than most of my courses thusfar at uni. Hell, I've had professors who aren't comfortable with the idea of discussion via Socratic seminar, though I suspect that's more due to the inability of the same to spend five minutes without dominating the discussion and bolstering their ego by being passive-aggressively demeaning towards undergrads.
FUCK
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 3345