Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702549 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18945 on: December 11, 2012, 10:16:21 pm »

Also, A devils advocate, so don't jump me.
That's ok. Like I said, I expect that the problem is with me being unable to empathize with such a position. It simply isn't something I could really force myself to do under conditions of payment, so I have trouble seeing how anybody else could.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18946 on: December 11, 2012, 10:18:46 pm »

On consideration, I really don't feel like getting into an argument about this. My viewpoints are somewhat opposed to yours and I doubt either of us can be convinced, so I'm gonna bow out before a flame war erupts.

Yarr.  I shouldn't have even replied like I did.  This isn't the place for it.  It's hard not to when it's the subject that I'm specifically upset about today.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18947 on: December 11, 2012, 10:20:04 pm »

On consideration, I really don't feel like getting into an argument about this. My viewpoints are somewhat opposed to yours and I doubt either of us can be convinced, so I'm gonna bow out before a flame war erupts.

Yarr.  I shouldn't have even replied like I did.  This isn't the place for it.  It's hard not to when it's the subject that I'm specifically upset about today.
Understandable. This is the RAAAAGE thread, after all.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18948 on: December 11, 2012, 10:22:02 pm »

That's ok. Like I said, I expect that the problem is with me being unable to empathize with such a position. It simply isn't something I could really force myself to do under conditions of payment, so I have trouble seeing how anybody else could.
It's easier to see when you're a sociopath.

Anyway, it's pretty much the same thing that justifies massive human rights abuses by Wal-mart, or the Industrial era, or any of that wonderful stuff.

Not. My. Problem.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18949 on: December 11, 2012, 10:22:39 pm »

Misko:  It took me a while to find it, but all you needed was this image.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18950 on: December 11, 2012, 10:23:25 pm »

That image is true.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18951 on: December 11, 2012, 10:26:10 pm »

I Stare at that, and all I'm think of is this one guy off to the side suddenly shouting "FREE ICE CREAM FOR 3 MINUTES!!!"

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18952 on: December 11, 2012, 10:29:17 pm »

If you give them the benefit of doubt, payment probably doesn't even crosses most of their minds. They're probably too full with things like duty, loyalty, and patriotism gone wrong.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18953 on: December 12, 2012, 12:15:07 am »

Not. My. Problem.

Also, I think there's a little more to it than this, usually.  Only sociopaths actually think this way, and most people aren't sociopaths.  As cynical as I am about the state of society, I think that there are a minority of truly bad people in the world, but social structures enable and have made those people really really good at taking advantage of common psychological quirks to occupy the majority of the world's positions of power.  When you look at things this way, they actually make a lot more sense.

More common than "Not my problem" is, I think, the Bystander Effect.  The more people involved in a situation, the more likely each person is to assume that someone else is going to take the lead in addressing it.  In the end, this amounts to nobody doing anything, and the realization not hitting until it's too late.  Example:  I haven't looked at statistics on it, but I'm pretty sure it's been widely observed that a lone witness to a crime or person in danger is incredibly likely to offer help.  On the other hand, when such things happen in front of a large public crowd (and proportional to the size of the crowd), it's most common for people to wait until the last second to take action, or not at all.

The effect is magnified in most situations, but especially when it comes to large scale social issues, when the first person to take action invites special responsibility or consequences on themselves.  Most people would be willing to do so if they knew that it was solely up to them... but they hold on to the hope that someone else will get the ball rolling first.

In my own workplace, I've talked to almost everybody.  Not a single person is happy with this job.  Everyone agrees we're treated like crap, in some cases to the extent that we're not even sure of the legality.  Everyone understands that if we took organized action that it could all be turned around pretty quickly.  But who's going to take the lead?  Whoever initiates action will be fired.  Period.  They couldn't fire everybody, but they would sure as hell make an example of someone.  In my new hire training 8 years ago, they even straight out told us that anybody involved in a unionization effort will be fired.  They'd probably be blacklisted from most future employment opportunities, too, since most employers contact previous employers and take their accounts very seriously when hiring.  So who's going to put their neck out, and sacrifice themselves to improve things for everybody?  I'm just as guilty as anybody.  I think the only difference between me and most people is my level of self-awareness about it.

I'm sure there are similar forces at work among police.  I know there are police who agree with the Occupy movement or are disgusted by the actions of corrupt officers who criminally abuse their power.  They'll even talk about it in interviews, but... when it comes to action, they'll buckle to pressure.  When they're in their riot gear, they'll do whatever keeps their job another day.  They can wait a little bit longer for someone else to say no first.  The guy who takes it upon himself to begin the shake-up of that institution from the inside will have to deal with some severe shit, I'm sure.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18954 on: December 12, 2012, 12:21:06 am »

In those cases, the most satisfying thing to do is trick the most institution-loving person and make them a scapegoat to bear all the hate, and then your followers get moving and the rule of numbers applies from there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18955 on: December 12, 2012, 12:22:37 am »

Crowds are awful easy to maipulate.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18956 on: December 12, 2012, 03:31:58 am »

Encountered a strange rage (strage?) today. A friend of mine was bragging about buying her coat for only $170. Instead of $300. I don't even. My coat cost me $20, and it's served me well for nigh upon three years now. The most expensive thing I own, my laptop, cost me less than that coat's full price. And then I see Wikipedia asking for $5. I see a fundraiser outside the library asking for money to send food to Syrians. I wonder, is the gilded name on the lapel worth it? Is the process of branding yourself with the name of another human being actually rewarding? I simply can't comprehend it.

I swear, this school is turning me into a communist.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18957 on: December 12, 2012, 04:02:31 am »

Not communist. Just altruistic.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18958 on: December 12, 2012, 04:25:25 am »

Not really. I hate overpriced brands at least just as much and I am an altruist by no standards except for those of bizzaro-world.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #18959 on: December 12, 2012, 04:35:23 am »

I may have slightly trolled and the end of this new comment...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 3345