Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1256 1257 [1258] 1259 1260 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703258 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18855 on: December 09, 2012, 10:08:53 pm »

I think all of you are right. :(

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEG Like It's 1994! Edition
« Reply #18856 on: December 09, 2012, 10:13:01 pm »

Or was this old "respect" I hear about from my elders just manufactured, and all came tumbling down when men didn't work in the factory and women weren't stay at home moms by default?
Pretty much this. In truth, we are more tolerant now than ever before. It just so happens that we also have more communication than ever before, so there are more opportunities for conflict even though they occur at a lesser rate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18857 on: December 09, 2012, 10:34:33 pm »

Bias, irrational hatred, but overall fear.

That doesn't explain the sudden shift, though. I mean, these are things we have on a Human level, not as a modern collection of communities. They're everywhere.

Or was this old "respect" I hear about from my elders just manufactured, and all came tumbling down when men didn't work in the factory and women weren't stay at home moms by default?
Pretty much this. In truth, we are more tolerant now than ever before. It just so happens that we also have more communication than ever before, so there are more opportunities for conflict even though they occur at a lesser rate.
GIFT has at least part of the reason why, after what Xant has mentioned.

I suppose that's more believable. I cannot say I have seen a noticeable increase in tolerance, but like I implied, I'm young and not from the 80s/70s.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18858 on: December 09, 2012, 10:40:09 pm »

Well, for one thing, we went from throwing homosexuals in prisons and asylums to starting to legalizing same sex marriage in the span of a few decades. I'd certainly call that an increase in tolerance.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18859 on: December 09, 2012, 10:41:38 pm »

Yeah, what MSH said. If people seem bad today, they were worse yesterday. The world's getting better, overall.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18860 on: December 09, 2012, 10:48:18 pm »

Bias, irrational hatred, but overall fear.
That doesn't explain the sudden shift, though. I mean, these are things we have on a Human level, not as a modern collection of communities. They're everywhere.
Keep in mind that now through the use of the internet it is possible to easily transmit your ideas out to the world. Back in the past sure, Jimmy might have been a horrible racist, but unless you were in the minority he hated then you probably wouldn't even realize it. Now when the same person bashes black people or gays or whatever every single one of his Facebook friends, or anybody who looks at his twitter, or anybody who frequents the same forum as him gets an earful as well.

In fact the idea that even the extremists can be heard is probably one of the major reasons why we are becoming so much more tolerant. The fact that the 99% of people who weren't or were only slightly biased can hear the raging 1% let us realize that something needed to be changed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18861 on: December 09, 2012, 10:51:49 pm »

It also means that the diehards are going to be more outspoken as they realize that they're sliding towards irrelevance. The crazies didn't stand out as much when society was closer to them. Take, for example, certain types of racist. They seem somewhat bizarre (and very, very noticeable) now, but just about until the mid-20th century there was so much casual racism in the US that few people really remarked on the fanatics.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18862 on: December 09, 2012, 11:30:19 pm »

In fact the idea that even the extremists can be heard is probably one of the major reasons why we are becoming so much more tolerant. The fact that the 99% of people who weren't or were only slightly biased can hear the raging 1% let us realize that something needed to be changed.
Sometimes in a smart way, but other times, it just needed to be changed because "OHGODDAMNITMAKETHEMSHUTUPWE'LLLOOKLIKETHEBIGGESTIDIOTSEVER" and then (eventual) bam.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #18863 on: December 10, 2012, 01:56:38 am »

A relative just showed up at my house drunk, and asked me if I wanted to make a pizza with her. God dammit, now I have to go through the oh so entertaining game of trying to get a drunk person to fall asleep, and not hurt themselves or do anything stupid.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18864 on: December 10, 2012, 02:03:09 am »

Get them to watch a movie with you. Trust me on this one, they'll be out in minutes.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18865 on: December 10, 2012, 02:10:55 am »

I'd argue that while we've generally gotten more tolerant, we're also damn sure on a bloody steep road away from respect, especially towards people with differing experiences. I mean, what one can get away with before someone challenges you to a field of honor's a bit more, without a doubt. :P
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18866 on: December 10, 2012, 02:28:27 am »

I'd argue that while we've generally gotten more tolerant, we're also damn sure on a bloody steep road away from respect, especially towards people with differing experiences.
Do elaborate, then.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18867 on: December 10, 2012, 04:22:18 am »

I can easily see who's behind this madness. :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #18868 on: December 10, 2012, 05:16:08 am »

Goddamn printer cocked up and refused to print my work.
After I spent 132 printer credits on it.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Machiavelli

• Bay Watcher
  • 強い白い
    • View Profile
« Reply #18869 on: December 10, 2012, 09:12:13 am »

Boss:  "Your checkride is tomorrow."
Me:  "... wait, what?"
NKAWTG
Pages: 1 ... 1256 1257 [1258] 1259 1260 ... 3345