Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693779 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Scumbag Steve Edition
« Reply #16305 on: October 08, 2012, 06:09:18 pm »

Not sure I understand your last sentence. (Not ninja-darvi)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16306 on: October 08, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »

I'm back to wanting to firebomb hospitals. Forcing someone to submit to drug tests (which they then pass) against their will and then charging that person 3k for the "privilege", because that person "may" be suicidal is not just fucking inethical but grossly disgusting.

I am never, ever going to call the police for a suicide threat ever again. I'm seriously hoping this doesn't push that person over the edge, they've only just gotten over absolutely fucking hating me for calling to begin with and them getting held for four hours.

Never, ever again. Don't trust the police, don't trust the hospitals, both of them clearly have nothing better to do with their time than to fuck people over.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16307 on: October 08, 2012, 06:18:52 pm »

Wow. I'm not sure if there's a worse possible way for an institution to deal with a potential suicide.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16308 on: October 08, 2012, 06:21:27 pm »

No, there's a worse way. Some of the hospitals invoke a certain act to involuntarily institutionalize any "suicide threats" for 72 hours, after which a psychologist determines if they should be released or held indefinitely.

Some hospitals have been known to do this to anyone who is admitted having a drug overdose.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16309 on: October 08, 2012, 06:23:23 pm »

Today I learned to never call 911 over a suicide threat.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16310 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »

Almost had a major accident on the way home from work today. Granted, I was going over the speed limit, but that's no excuse for the other driver having exactly zero fucking ability to gauge the speed of oncoming traffic. I watched this stupid bitch in a minivan from 3 blocks away, knowing she might do something dumb. And then, at about half a block away, she inched her stupid, fat fucking ass into my lane, so I had to jink almost into on-coming traffic to avoid her. Almost like she thought on-coming traffic is supposed to slow down and eventually stop because she is too goddamn stupid and/or nervous to drive like a someone who has a clue what they're doing.

Then I watched her in my rearview mirror while she sat there a moment half in the lane, before she trundled her dumb ass back out of the intersection. Did she use the gigantic window of space after me to complete her turn? No. Did she use the time she had prior to me getting near her to complete her turn? FUCKING NO.

It's comforting to know that all the biological and physiological adaptations that we humans have developed over the centuries to survive are steadily coming to mean fucking NOTHING in the modern age. Or, as chmod once famously said "If these people were alive 2,000 years ago they would have been eaten by lions." In my mind, I imagine her sitting there with her fucking face buried in a goddamn phone before she completed her text message, looked up and went "I'm going now, good luck everybody, and fuck you because I'm the only one on the road that fucking matters."

If *I* drove like that, her ass would be would splattered against her passenger side door right now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:28:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16311 on: October 08, 2012, 06:29:38 pm »

No, there's a worse way. Some of the hospitals invoke a certain act to involuntarily institutionalize any "suicide threats" for 72 hours, after which a psychologist determines if they should be released or held indefinitely.
Thank god this didn't happen. Apparently they can decide to do this basically at a whim, and then the person would have been looking at bills of 10k or more, I imagine - as well as potentially getting fired from their job, as it would be kind of difficult to keep something like that a secret or explain three sudden missed days of work. They don't exactly have a great job to begin with, part of the original problem and why this made it so much worse.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16312 on: October 08, 2012, 06:32:18 pm »

Yeah, don't trust cops or doctors. They have this magnificent way of making any possible crisis worse.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16313 on: October 08, 2012, 06:33:55 pm »

Basically, if there's not much of a way for it to get worse, it might be alright to call them. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16314 on: October 08, 2012, 06:34:09 pm »

Have these people never even heard of the Hippocratic oath? ;-;

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16315 on: October 08, 2012, 06:35:09 pm »

I don't know why everyone brings that up. The Hippocratic oath doesn't mean anything. It is a tradition to take it when you graduate from med school, but you by no means have to and it is not at all binding.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16316 on: October 08, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »

Yeah, don't trust cops or doctors. They have this magnificent way of making any possible crisis worse.
I disagree. I might have died at a certain point in my life if I hadn't gotten medical aid. And the cops I've met have been nothing but helpful, if honest enough to tell me that I'd probably never see my stolen GPS again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16317 on: October 08, 2012, 06:38:19 pm »

I disagree. I might have died at a certain point in my life if I hadn't gotten medical aid. And the cops I've met have been nothing but helpful, if honest enough to tell me that I'd probably never see my stolen GPS again.
I didn't say not to seek medical aid, I said not to trust doctors.

And trust me, cops are very different when you are their target instead of their burden.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16318 on: October 08, 2012, 06:39:45 pm »

I don't know why everyone brings that up. The Hippocratic oath doesn't mean anything. It is a tradition to take it when you graduate from med school, but you by no means have to and it is not at all binding.

Maybe because it's called an "oath."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16319 on: October 08, 2012, 06:41:25 pm »

Because you shouldn't need to have someone telling you what's right and wrong when you're working in the freaking health sector-who gives a crap if it's legally binding or not, your job is to make people's lives better and to protect them from injustices, not put them in harm's way.
I suppose it says a lot when morality isn't even considered a valid motive for actually helping people anymore.

The Hippocratic oath doesn't mean anything.
I seriously winced a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 3345