Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690382 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Scumbag Steve Edition
« Reply #16140 on: October 06, 2012, 09:11:12 am »

Ick... Sounds unpleasant. :-\ At least I was lucky enough to be standing next to someone nice. I almost decided on just spending the entire journey crammed into the little luggage bay thing, but I couldn't really fit.

@Reudh: And I thought you Melbournites all got around on trams and trendy little scooters. The more you know! :P

Now, for today's Rage: My mother destroyed my shoes, for some reason. :( I had specifically told her not to pour that stuff in them, but she still went ahead and did it. This could easily go in the Sad thread- those shoes were one of the few really, overwhelmingly 'cool' things I have to wear.
And the other would be my favourite armband, which I have somehow managed to lose. Argh, I miss that thing. :-\ Hope it turns up, soon. Anyway, now I'm back to wearing long jeans and boots. Hopefully I can get a new pair of Converse for summer.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16141 on: October 06, 2012, 09:22:54 am »

The few overwhelmingly cool things I have....

My glasses, which are supposedly trendy.
My flatcap, which is just barely too small for my enormous skull.

And most Melbournites get around by train. I only catch the tram if I'm in the city and can reach the area more easily by tram, like the Mana Bar is easiest to catch a tram from Flinders.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16142 on: October 06, 2012, 09:37:41 am »

Yeah, I was kinda joking... When I stayed in Melbourne I'm pretty sure the few tram rides we took were mainly just to show me around the city. It was fascinating to see the changes taking place in the surrounding buildings as we went from Coburg to the CBD. The various different influences in architecture...

Melbourne's a pretty cool place. (Pun intended :P)
Booze is Life for Yoink

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16143 on: October 06, 2012, 10:21:22 am »

Goddamnit steam, why do you keep starting up a phantom process that i have to end every time i want to start you up?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16144 on: October 06, 2012, 10:29:32 am »

Yeah, I was kinda joking... When I stayed in Melbourne I'm pretty sure the few tram rides we took were mainly just to show me around the city. It was fascinating to see the changes taking place in the surrounding buildings as we went from Coburg to the CBD. The various different influences in architecture...

Melbourne's a pretty cool place. (Pun intended :P)

...oh god that was a bad pun.

Is it just Queensland, or is it humid in here? D:

Anyway when you're next down we Victorian 12ers need to show y'round. Coburg's not a terribly nice spot, as you might've heard about Jill Meagher. :3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16145 on: October 06, 2012, 10:40:27 am »

Yeah... Apparently the guy who killed her was the creepy neighbour of a relative of someone I know. :-\ That was kinda shocking. Oh and I saw the gigantic police station down there, which looked more like a fortress than anything.

But still, it wasn't that bad! And I'd certainly be up for a Bay12-ified tour of the place/Meetup, which I vaguely remember trying to organize the last time I was down there... :P Lazy sods.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16146 on: October 06, 2012, 10:42:25 am »

Well, here's the thread I created some time ago if you would like to peruse it once more.

Melbourne Bay12ers Unite

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16147 on: October 06, 2012, 10:45:08 am »

Do note there's a non-zero chance the thermal paste has heated itself into the aether, especially if you've had the computer for a decent period. If the dust being removed doesn't help, that might be it. Well, at least on laptops. I actually don't know if desktop fans use the stuff, but I'd guess so. Might still be worth checking, I guess.
Mine has thermal paste on the fan(got some of it on my fingers while nearly breaking the mounting pins). Never had to replace it though, although that might partly be because a fresh application came with both fans I've had with it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #16148 on: October 06, 2012, 10:54:05 am »

I absolutely hate Korea and its educational system.
Graded relatively on a bell curve. On a bell curve. Where 50% are at the half (one standard deviation). Scores 4,5,6 are 50% of total. 1,2,3 and 7,8,9 are roughly 25% each.
Colleges do not accept anything lower than a 3.
There are about 10000000 students in Korea.
Where do the 7500000 students with 4~10s go?

And why is the educational system based on such a tyrannical structure? Teen steps on face of teen to get to the top... >.>
Hopefully I can escape from this world into one of absolute grading D:

*Also, note that, in Korea, college name value is everything. If you're a nameless college graduate, you're probably going to be dropped out of document judging stage, usually step one of being hired.

EDIT: fixed typo
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:04:27 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16149 on: October 06, 2012, 10:58:59 am »

People in structural positions in Korea sound like absolute morons. This isn't the first time I've been lead to this observation.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16150 on: October 06, 2012, 11:01:17 am »

The enforced social hierarchies of East Asian countries are well known, but none even comes close to Korea's.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16151 on: October 06, 2012, 12:39:22 pm »

The enforced social hierarchies of East Asian countries are well known, but none even comes close to Korea's.
I remember reading "Outliers" that explained most of the korean airline accidents could have been stopped but the language barrier between a superior and a subordinate was too great to be broken for their own lives.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #16152 on: October 06, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »

It's really weird: an intangible but existing wall that makes you swallow your words. It's very hard to speak up in a situation...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #16153 on: October 06, 2012, 01:33:20 pm »

I absolutely hate Korea and its educational system.
Graded relatively on a bell curve. On a bell curve. Where 50% are at the half (one standard deviation). Scores 4,5,6 are 50% of total. 1,2,3 and 7,8,9 are roughly 25% each.
Colleges do not accept anything lower than a 3.
There are about 10000000 students in Korea.
Where do the 7500000 students with 4~10s go?

And why is the educational system based on such a tyrannical structure? Teen steps on face of teen to get to the top... >.>
Hopefully I can escape from this world into one of absolute grading D:

*Also, note that, in Korea, college name value is everything. If you're a nameless college graduate, you're probably going to be dropped out of document judging stage, usually step one of being hired.

EDIT: fixed typo

That sounds entirely non-functional. Are there just that few jobs in Korea for the college educated that they can practically ignore >90% of the population?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16154 on: October 06, 2012, 01:44:07 pm »

-education system snop-

That sounds entirely non-functional. Are there just that few jobs in Korea for the college educated that they can practically ignore >90% of the population?
It sounds really functional to me. Like, it is an almost perfectly functioning system for what it does. It ensures that a minority have well-paying jobs (who are likely to have already been rich, given private tutoring and things like that) to be able to have control over the majority, who will have to do low-pay manual labour in production/manufacture, which is the only way an economic system as we know them can work. It is not feasible to have everybody in management/service roles, because who are they managing or providing services for?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 3345