Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703316 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Tech Support RRAAEEGG Edition
« Reply #15150 on: September 18, 2012, 11:27:13 am »

I have a disproportionate amount of kitchen horror stories.

-My mother, for some reason I forget, tried to make coffee by boiling it in a frying pan. As if that was bad enough, she left in the middle of boiling it to go to the bathroom, which is why I ended up walking into a kitchen of sparking, burning over-boiled coffee in a frying pan.

-My father started frying bacon but turned on the wrong heating element. We then went to go play video games, and when we returned, the cover of said heating element was sparking and red hot. My father proceeded to grab it with a kitchen glove and threw it into the sink.

-My friend, whom I foolishly trusted to be able to cook in my house, started making ramen with a very small amount of water in the pot. We then went to go play video games. You can see where this is going. Upon seeing a massive fire in Dead Space 2 I was immediately reminded of the ramen, an hour later. We got back to the kitchen and it had burned into some horrible black sludge on the bottom of the pan, the smell of which permeated the house for days.

-I do not know how to cook bacon. I managed to burn it and melt my spatula even with constant vigilance. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Tech Support RRAAEEGG Edition
« Reply #15151 on: September 18, 2012, 11:29:18 am »

IDEA!
Cook a meal for your roommate.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: September 18, 2012, 11:30:19 am »

I once put on some milk to boil, then suddenly a freind of mine from years back came for a surprise visit. we got talking, and wandering, and when I got back the milk was a charred mess.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15153 on: September 18, 2012, 11:38:43 am »

I managed to burn it and melt my spatula even with constant vigilance.
Step 1: Use a metal spatula?

I had boiled some water and was adding the raw pasta.
I handled this poorly, resulting in fire and smoke and panicking.
I...wait, what? How the hell did that happen?
Noodles that were too long. I thought if I let them sit the bottoms would get squishy and the top would slide right down. Unfortunately, it turns out even the rim of a boiling pan can get pretty hot.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: September 18, 2012, 11:39:56 am »

Rule #1 of cooking: Never leave your meal unattended. Seriously, my mom does the same thing. She'll set a steak to broil then walk away for 30 minutes. Then she'll act surprised when it's a smoking mass of charred flesh.

That's actually one of my pet peeves. Drives me crazy when people treat cooking like it's self-automated.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15155 on: September 18, 2012, 11:40:18 am »

You'd be surprised how many people think "Turning it to max will cook it faster!"

And then they burn their stuff and wonder why.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15156 on: September 18, 2012, 11:41:32 am »

Rule #1 of cooking: Never leave your meal unattended.
Rule #2: If you are going to leave your meal unattended, for gods sake learn how long it will take to cook and set a kitchen timer for a bit before that (to be kept at hand)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: September 18, 2012, 12:50:27 pm »

I want a crock pot so I can just leave all my cooking unattended.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15158 on: September 18, 2012, 02:00:16 pm »

Leaving a meal unattended isn't necessarily a bad idea, as long as you either have (self-annotated) recipes or a solid idea of how long things take.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: September 18, 2012, 02:03:17 pm »

I disagree, for the most part. Baking is one thing.....broiling, boiling, grilling, sauteing or anything with an open-ended cook timer or on an open flame should be baby sat so it can be stirred, turned, rotated, flipped or what have you, for best results.

Note, I was a saute' cook for a while and you can't do proper saute' if you're not constantly watching it and moving it around.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15160 on: September 18, 2012, 02:10:34 pm »

You'd be surprised how many people think "Turning it to max will cook it faster!"

Burned on the outside, frozen on the inside! Ah, just like mama used to make.

I disagree, for the most part. Baking is one thing.....broiling, boiling, grilling, sauteing or anything with an open-ended cook timer or on an open flame should be baby sat so it can be stirred, turned, rotated, flipped or what have you, for best results.

...you can't do proper saute' if you're not constantly watching it and moving it around.
Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15161 on: September 18, 2012, 02:29:27 pm »

Although, turning it to max but starting with a cold pan can work out for certain dishes.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15162 on: September 18, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »

Granted, I've done more baking than actual cooking, but some things can be walked away from as long as you aren't very far away/have an ear open for 'pot boiling over' or 'smoke alarm going off'. Not "go across the building and play games" so much as "go in the next room and read". You're the professional opinion here, though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15163 on: September 18, 2012, 03:50:11 pm »

It's any more complicated than an oven pizza, I stand at attention. Too many years of watching my mom sin against the Culinary Gods, I suppose.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15164 on: September 18, 2012, 03:52:39 pm »

If it goes in the oven or in water or otherwise doesn't need any attention, I have no problem setting a timer and wandering off. And I put lots of things in the oven. Pizza. Pasta. Sandwiches (okay, those go in the press grill, but same concept).

Only thing that really needs attention for me is eggs and the second half of rice dishes.
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 3345