Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703579 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Lactose Tolerance Edition
« Reply #14595 on: September 03, 2012, 08:19:01 pm »

Well, the good thing from this is that valve is actively working to port all it's games to linux now.
Or I stockpiled so much copies of windows 7 in a discreet area........

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Lactose Tolerance Edition
« Reply #14596 on: September 03, 2012, 08:19:38 pm »

Is there any real reason to switch to Windows 8? Hell, I'd still be on my XP laptop if it didn't die, and the family desktop still uses Vista (which I never really understood the hate for, but whatever).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: September 03, 2012, 08:21:16 pm »

Is there any real reason to switch to Windows 8? Hell, I'd still be on my XP laptop if it didn't die, and the family desktop still uses Vista (which I never really understood the hate for, but whatever).
No there is absolutely no damn reason unless you have a touchscreen or a tablet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: September 03, 2012, 08:25:27 pm »

No there is absolutely no damn reason unless you have a touchscreen or a tablet.
Well, there's a relief. I just know some people will always get the newest OS, even if they don't like parts of it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: September 03, 2012, 08:27:28 pm »

And if you have a tablet you already have either iOS or Android, both which work perfectly fine as it is.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14600 on: September 03, 2012, 10:32:12 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if this results in another Anti-Trust Lawsuit against Microsoft. They're not in the same position as Apple with the App Store, they're still the dominate OS on the planet for business. And that's what got them slapped for trying to foist IE on everyone. If Microsoft were to take a 30% cut of everything goes on Windows....yeah, I can see the lawsuits already.

Oracle (and Sun, back before the acquisition) have it in their terms of use for their products and services that anything you create with them can be taken and used by Oracle as long as you have the right to give it up. Not if you're willing to give it up, but if you have the right to.

Of course, it's not in such clear words, since every company's ToU/ToS has to be in legalese, but it's there, in Article 6. That frightens me, considering the message that greets anyone installing/upgrading Java: "Over 3 billion devices". With the big push that Sun/Oracle have been making for Java to be the #1 programming language, and to be used everywhere, it's kind of scary to think of what they could do if they reached that goal.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14601 on: September 04, 2012, 12:46:25 am »

Just here to point out that:
On versions of Windows 8 designed to run on ARM-based chips, it will be the only way to get downloadable software such as games.
That means phones, tablets and the like, not PCs. Not to say that Win8 is any good, but you guys should probably get your facts straight before you start issuing lawsuits. :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14602 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:32 am »

Hugo Awards stream ruined by Ustream's idiotic copybots.

I see no way they're digging themselves out of that one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14603 on: September 04, 2012, 09:54:38 am »

My stepdad got a copy of windows 8 to test out (since he does computer repair and the like), and I have to say, it's not all that bad. The opening menu was annoying as fuck until I realized that you could toggle it with the windows key just like the start menu on every other version. It appears to work similarly to 7, but quite a bit faster. So long as it can run all the same programs just as well, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

(Although the fact that it's almost impossible to run Firefox on it means that I'm not personally upgrading.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14604 on: September 04, 2012, 12:37:02 pm »

The main problem with Windows 8 is this, split into three parts:
1. It looks ridiculous until you find the desktop. (does not apply for tablets)
2. Microsoft tends to not do great every other or so windows release, and Win7 was great.
3. If 'It works similar to 7, but with currently unknown program compatibility', then why in the hell would I spend $100 (or whatever it costs) for a UI I don't want and various other disliked bits, when I have a perfectly fine working copy of Win7 x64. Tis not practical.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14605 on: September 04, 2012, 12:49:37 pm »

Yeah, Windows has a curse, after a good release they must make a shit one. After a shit one they make a good one.
And i simply love Windows 7.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14606 on: September 04, 2012, 12:51:45 pm »

3. If 'It works similar to 7, but with currently unknown program compatibility', then why in the hell would I spend $100 (or whatever it costs) for a UI I don't want and various other disliked bits, when I have a perfectly fine working copy of Win7 x64. Tis not practical.

Probably closer to $300, if the XP and 7 pricing schemes hold.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14607 on: September 04, 2012, 02:31:42 pm »

I'm going to firmly stay the hell away from Win8, unless I buy an Envy X2, which I may, if I have the extra cash.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #14608 on: September 04, 2012, 02:35:09 pm »

There is usually no reason to upgrade windows versions, unless you are upgrading hardware.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14609 on: September 04, 2012, 02:36:28 pm »

* kaijyuu is still on vista.

Like hell I was going to buy a new OS when I built my computer when I could use the one I bought previously.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 3345