Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3708741 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: LIKE A DOG! Edition
« Reply #13545 on: July 25, 2012, 12:33:27 am »

Kids have nightmares all the time though, right? Please tell me that wasn't just my apparently tortured subconscious again, it was crazy enough hearing that most people my age get nightmares only very rarely.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13546 on: July 25, 2012, 12:34:29 am »

I dont think its' that rare. At least I get plenty of them
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13547 on: July 25, 2012, 12:34:43 am »

Arrgh my phone's headphone jack is broken. Kill me now. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13548 on: July 25, 2012, 12:36:08 am »

Kids have nightmares all the time though, right? Please tell me that wasn't just my apparently tortured subconscious again, it was crazy enough hearing that most people my age get nightmares only very rarely.

I know plenty of people who have had nightmare troubles their whole lives.  In fact, I've thought myself the odd one out for not having them, or dreaming much at all.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13549 on: July 25, 2012, 12:42:10 am »

I dont think its' that rare. At least I get plenty of them
Everyone else I've talked to says they have nightmares once or twice a year. I had no idea I was an outlier, but I went and read about it and only about 1% of 18 year olds have nightmares three or more times per week, which is the frequency I have them. Though apparently there are people who are even worse, to the point where their nightmares cause them to become mentally ill and phobic of sleeping.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13550 on: July 25, 2012, 12:43:22 am »

I had nightmares once in a while, but yeah it was at worst a once or twice a month thing. Haven't had a nightmare in quite some time, now.

Maybe your subconscious just hates you.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13551 on: July 25, 2012, 12:45:09 am »

My wife has nightmares every single time she sleeps, without exception.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13552 on: July 25, 2012, 12:46:11 am »

I had pretty regular nightmares when I was younger, yeah, if not really anymore. Rarely induced by media, though. Only movie I really remember doing that to me was disney's Fantasia (which scared the ever-loving fuck out of my younger self and gave me nightmares for something like a week. Watching bits years later, I could see why.) and one (both?) of the never-ending stories.

What in th'name of all that's holy is a parent doing showing a young child something like the Exorcist (I guess?), anyway? I'm not saying shelter the children or stupid shit like that, but major horror/violence flicks probably isn't the best of things to inflict on a young'un.

But yeah, systemically inflicting disturbing media on a child is... well, there's more forms of abuse than physical (though they're not nearly as regularly prosecuted :-\). If it's something that leaves a kid distressed for a long period, that's a pretty shitty thing to be doing to 'em. Hell, it's a shitty thing to do to anyone, really, in most cases.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13553 on: July 25, 2012, 12:49:52 am »

Odd. I have nightmares far more often than is normal as well. Nightmares don't really bother me though, as I usually am semi-lucid dreaming, and I can make myself wake up pretty easily if I get too freaked out.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13554 on: July 25, 2012, 12:51:40 am »

Maybe your subconscious just hates you.
I could actually believe that, as I still remember the horror show that was the "Let's have MSH be brutally murdered by people he knows and trusts every night" recurring nightmare from a little over a year ago. That sure was fun.
What in th'name of all that's holy is a parent doing showing a young child something like the Exorcist (I guess?), anyway? I'm not saying shelter the children or stupid shit like that, but major horror/violence flicks probably isn't the best of things to inflict on a young'un.
Penguin wasn't talking about The Exorcist. Some Catholics (and a few Protestants) still practice real exorcism on children they think are possessed by demons. It's fucked up.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13555 on: July 25, 2012, 12:55:05 am »

Children die here in Indiana every year from exorcisms.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #13556 on: July 25, 2012, 01:01:29 am »

Grew up near the end of the Cold War. In line of sight of a Boeing plant.

My nightmares consisted of a flash of light, and knowing that duck-and-cover does jack-and-shit.

Recently had a flashback to those times when a red light camera (I think) went off near me for no apperent reason. I paused for a second waiting for the shockwave.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13557 on: July 25, 2012, 01:02:15 am »

Wait. So I'm not allowed to use substances because some old guy said it wasn't okay fifty years ago, but people can murder their fucking children and excuse it with religion?! What the fuck?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13558 on: July 25, 2012, 01:02:44 am »

Penguin wasn't talking about The Exorcist. Some Catholics (and a few Protestants) still practice real exorcism on children they think are possessed by demons. It's fucked up.
Aye, aware, just didn't figure there's been much media of the actual stuff (it'd be flipping evidence, if nothing else). Though I'm not really aware how active... I guess you'd call it fundamentalist? Media production is. Most of the more extreme stuff... at the very least, I haven't noticed it much in more public venues. Might be a symptom of the area I'm in, that's pretty heavily fundamentalist but even heavier drunk, i.e. primarily so they've got an excuse for xenophobia of varying degrees.

Though I guess I do vaguely remember a couple of TV things form years back... eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13559 on: July 25, 2012, 01:08:30 am »

Nothing about real exorcisms. The movie in question was The Exorcism of Emily Rose, at least for two of the three people I asked.

Note that these kids were 12-14 when this happened. Still having nightmares like eight-year-olds who watched something they shouldn't have. Except these were teenagers whose parents were fine with their children watching it, and encouraged their fear.

I believe the abuse in question was showing scary films and saying they were real. Which probably isn't child abuse, unless you can prove some serious mental trauma and not just nightmares. I mean, parents tell ghost stories and such all the time to young kids and say they were real.

I mean, this might just be me, but I feel like kids get a lot more scared by movies than they do by things like scary stories. At least I did. I think it's the visual factor. I mean, the scariest part of those scary story books was the super creepy art in them.

And a big part of getting over scary stories and stuff when you're younger is when your parents tell you that it's not real and everything is fine. I can't imagine what I'd have done if I was watching a scary movie and my parent told me that it was real. It's a tremendous abuse of the trust your children put in you.

It's different from something like saying a scary story is still real, because after your kid freaks out for a while you're probably going to tell them they were just kidding. But these kids were scared for weeks, and all the while their parents reassured them that yes, demons really possess people. Stuff like this really happens.

I guess there's not any permanent trauma besides them still being terrified of exorcism movies despite realizing that exorcisms are bull, but it's still just really fucked up and I really don't think any parent who would do crap like that deserves to raise children.
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 3345