Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3708178 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: VROOM VROOM! Edition
« Reply #13350 on: July 17, 2012, 10:50:54 am »

Company web filter. No, blocking me from Stackoverflow (reason: forums/newsgroups), my university email (reason: education), pandora (reason: N/A), a tutorial on a university website (reason: education), and dozens of other useful resources does not, in fact, help me get my programming work done. Naturally Bay12 is not blocked because why would they block a video game forum; that would make too much sense!

Most annoying bit is the filter is weird. Most days it blocks nothing, some it blocks a few useful sites, some it practically disables all useful websites. >_<
Wait...it actually lists "Reason: Education" as a valid block reason? That's insane.
"How dare our workforce try to become smarter! If they did, they might realize what colossal dicktards we are!"

Although the DOJ proxy does occasionally block tech sites when I'm looking for tips on some obscure issue, with reason: Computers/Networking. Which makes me to scream at the computer, "YES, I KNOW. I HANDLE YOUR FUCKING COMPUTERS/NETWORKING."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13351 on: July 17, 2012, 11:21:04 am »

The boss came back from vacation, and immediately threatens to fire people for "slacking off", which is bullcrap because nobody, including this 32-year-old manbaby I really want to get fired, is slacking off, with the exception of that damn kid who supposedly volunteers but doesn't do jack crap and leaves the place a mess. The only reason we would be slacking off is because we do everything pretty quick, and we have nothing else to do. I can only see this as an attempt to prevent us from reporting him to the Department of Labor for threating to fire us over religious beliefs.

Oh, and the church right next door to where I work got burglarized over the weekend, and the boss doesn't make one mention of it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13352 on: July 17, 2012, 04:01:35 pm »

You could get fired and sue for discrimination, right? :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13353 on: July 17, 2012, 04:02:51 pm »

Was reading a sci-fi book yesterday.
It was a fairly soft sci-fi which I am totally fine with in 99% of the time.
However as it goes on it gets softer and softer, and the explanations get more and more half assed. At one point an AI in it goes "Oh you can't figure it out the [thing that will save the world], there are 10^100 possible combinations that it could be". At which point, I thought to myself, the way that this book is going it will probably be solved with the power of love. Fast forward two chapters, the main character figures it out chance right after having sex with his girlfriend because of love or some bullshit.
At that point I literally threw the book down on the floor in disgust (which is the only time that I have ever done that).

Ugh, the story went from pretty good in the first 1/4 to crap near the end, guess I won't finish that book.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: July 17, 2012, 04:08:34 pm »

A thousand possibilities! The horror!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: July 17, 2012, 04:15:04 pm »

Well, no, 10^100 is rather a lot.
10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 possibilities, more accurately.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13356 on: July 17, 2012, 04:17:53 pm »

Trying to think up a weakness for a job application. I need one of those clever ones where you turn it around into a good thing, but I can't think of one. Man, I had some of these thought out a couple months ago. Why didn't I write them down?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: July 17, 2012, 04:18:33 pm »

Bullets. (That actually got me hired, believe it or not.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13358 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:06 pm »

I'm not sure if I just want to throw out the witty answers for just any old job. They've got to be special.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #13359 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:58 pm »

I too have a weakness for bullets. Shiny, brassy bullets. So pretty.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13360 on: July 17, 2012, 04:21:51 pm »

Well, you wouldn't be lying, would you?

What kind of job is it?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13361 on: July 17, 2012, 04:24:30 pm »

Well, no, 10^100 is rather a lot.
10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 possibilities, more accurately.
^ now means multiplication, just because I don't make mistakes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13362 on: July 17, 2012, 04:25:27 pm »

Well, you wouldn't be lying, would you?

What kind of job is it?

Book store.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13363 on: July 17, 2012, 04:27:27 pm »

Your weakness is that you cannot resist the smell of new books. It reminds you of a time that you, as a young naive man, were seduced in a library.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13364 on: July 17, 2012, 06:51:20 pm »

Brother refuses to let me repair his computer because I'm prideful of my background as a white hat hacker, him viewing all hackers as bad, yet refuses my help when his computer refuses to boot and considers all 12 of his toolbars in IE needed -.-;
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 3345