Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689913 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: SalmonBot Edition
« Reply #12690 on: June 25, 2012, 03:15:48 pm »

I'm guessing "better than the original".
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12691 on: June 25, 2012, 03:21:32 pm »

So I've decided FSoG scores a solid 8/10 on the fanficometer. A 10/10 is defined as "exactly like My Immortal".
... your meter is either broken or reversed. Well, or you're using a rather unusual rating system :P

Which, judging by that last line, is probably what's happening.

Also, I totally misread the sole female pronoun in that nothing rhymes thing as a male pronoun. Mostly because I've seen like that exact goddamn summary several dozen times trying to find something that wasn't a poorly written slash fanfic. Seriously, browse, ferex, the 100k+ Naruto section on ff.n. I'd give 50/50 odds you find that summary verbatim.
I'm guessing "better than the original".
That's actually a pretty poor heuristic. Some pretty shitty -- or just fairly mediocre, ala Harry potter -- media has spawned great swathes of categorically superior fan fiction... that still weren't particularly impressive :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12692 on: June 25, 2012, 03:28:47 pm »

A 1/10 on the fanficometer includes such qualities as "entirely devoid of references to the author's favorite punk bands", "characters are more than anthropomorphized personality disorders", "nobody has a ridiculous name", and "characters have basic and intelligent standards of hygiene".

Things FSoG could have done better to get a 10: have the characters sing your favorite punk bands' songs to each other before they have sex, fail to describe sex in any detail despite your characters having loads of it (FSoG partially succeeds with flowery tiptoed steps around any explicit sex), move more of the purple prose into the fashion details and out of that dumb plot stuff.

So I've decided FSoG scores a solid 8/10 on the fanficometer. A 10/10 is defined as "exactly like My Immortal".

... your meter is either broken or reversed. Well, or you're using a rather unusual rating system :P

The system does not exist to describe how good a fanfic is, but rather to describe how "fanfic" a fanfic is.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12693 on: June 25, 2012, 03:49:19 pm »

The "self insert" element is hard to measure though considering that the source material contains a pretty blatant self insert.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12694 on: June 25, 2012, 03:53:21 pm »

Self-insertness isn't even necessarily a bad trai.

Suedom, on the other hand...

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12695 on: June 25, 2012, 04:03:25 pm »

Self-insertness isn't even necessarily a bad trai.

Suedom, on the other hand...

Suedom is very difficult to define.

For example, I'm now going to describe a typical fan-fiction Mary Sue

14 year old Princess who is one of the last heirs of an ancient bloodline that was nearly ended by an usurper. Has silver hair and purple eyes and is so beautiful men throw themselves at her feet. Has three pet dragons that love her like she's their mother and she can't be burned by their fire. Her boyfriend is twice her age and has blue hair. Her family was all killed by the usurper and she wants revenge.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12696 on: June 25, 2012, 04:05:40 pm »

Ooh, now I get to define a completely different sue:

An entirely plain man of 40 years of age who nobody really likes and has anger issues. As the story progresses, nothing ever happens that doesn't involve him.

That last sentence is my main mary sue identifier.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12697 on: June 25, 2012, 04:06:48 pm »

14 year old Princess who is one of the last heirs of an ancient bloodline that was nearly ended by an usurper. Has silver hair and purple eyes and is so beautiful men throw themselves at her feet. Has three pet dragons that love her like she's their mother and she can't be burned by their fire. Her boyfriend is twice her age and has blue hair. Her family was all killed by the usurper and she wants revenge.
Her only weakness is that she's so beautiful that everyone wants to have sex with her.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12698 on: June 25, 2012, 04:09:03 pm »

I'm convinced that no matter how much I try to parody this book, the result will be a superior work.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12699 on: June 25, 2012, 04:11:40 pm »

I don't like the term "Mary Sue" since it's managed to become completely meaningless through overuse.  "nothing ever happens that doesn't involve him" could be said about a lot of good characters if the story is, say, told from their perspective.

But you get the idea.  What I'm saying is that Bella was pretty self-inserty and therefore not!Bella will be too.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12700 on: June 25, 2012, 04:14:15 pm »

sign #46 you are in fanfictiontopia: all orgasms are simultaneous

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12701 on: June 25, 2012, 04:17:05 pm »

To be fair that happens in a hell of a lot of non-fanfic TV shows, movies and books.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12702 on: June 25, 2012, 04:18:47 pm »

Yeah, was about to snipe that wouldn't that render most of the romance genre fanfiction?

I'm... actually not sure which of the two literary (ha) fields would be worsened by that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12703 on: June 25, 2012, 04:22:34 pm »

Her only weakness is that she's so beautiful that everyone wants to have sex with her.

Actually, I think her main weakness is that there's a clause in her contract that requires her to show a minimum of 70% of her body at any given time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just noticed that the TV miniseries doesn't actually do the 'purple eyes' bit. Only book Targaryens have those.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:56:36 pm by Josephus »
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12704 on: June 25, 2012, 04:54:17 pm »

People who whine about all these problems fanfiction supposedly intrinsically has apparently hasn't seen much professional media either. Every single complaint levied at fanfiction exists in published books, movies, games, etc. The only difference is fanfiction has a high number of amateur writers; they make the same mistakes, just more of them due to inexperience.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 3345