Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702623 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which is also almost completely sugar. :P
Not sugar, carbohydrates, there's a difference.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Carbohydrates ARE sugars.

(Okay, it's not that simple. But close. All sugars are carbohydrates, most carbohydrates you're likely to encounter are sugars. Nutritionally, it's basically broken down into "sugars are carbs you can digest", from what I understand. And actually, /most/ definitions treat them as synonyms. Carbs are Sacharrides are Sugars in almost all situations.

Even in the circles that only treat simple carbs as sugars, the more complex ones almost immediately break down into the simple ones once they are in your body. They buy you a bit more 'full' time, but not much.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:37:09 pm by GlyphGryph »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Damn, I wanted to be the one to say that. ><
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would have had porridge but it seemed to be buried under a ton of instant ramen, so I just went for cereal instead.

You seem to imply that porridge and ramen don't go together? I'll have you know that porridge, noodles and powdered dry berries mix surprisingly well together.

The key word here is surprisingly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

When people talk about carbohydrates they're normally referring to glucids, although it's not too accurate.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Carbohydrates ARE sugars.

(Okay, it's not that simple. But close. All sugars are carbohydrates, most carbohydrates you're likely to encounter are sugars. Nutritionally, it's basically broken down into "sugars are carbs you can digest", from what I understand. And actually, /most/ definitions treat them as synonyms. Carbs are Sacharrides are Sugars in almost all situations.

Even in the circles that only treat simple carbs as sugars, the more complex ones almost immediately break down into the simple ones once they are in your body. They buy you a bit more 'full' time, but not much.)
... Ok, technically yes, they are sugars, but when we say "sugar" in dietary terms, we're usually referring to simple sugars, like glucose, fructose, or sucrose, the ones that are very quick and easy to convert into energy for our bodies, and encourage energy spikes and fattening of the body.

The term carbohydrates usually refers to all the sugars... or sometimes just the complex ones, like starch.

I'd also like to point out that fibre is sugar too, since fibre is just cellulose, which is just a really big sugar and strong sugar molecule.

Also, there's nothing wrong with having sugar in your breakfast... in fact I'd say it's pretty much mandatory since without sugar you're gonna have a hard time getting energy for your body processes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I don't disagree! Sugars are a good thing! But if all you're eating is sugar, you're going to be hungry again sooner rather than later. Complex sugars are definitely better at postponing that, but if you're not getting fats/proteins as well, your body is usually going to want more.

Simple sugars also aren't any more fattening than complex sugars (or fats, for that matter) except insofar as they change behavior.

So by all means, sugars=good, but if you really want to stay full for a while, through an egg in there or something too!

(Strong fibers the body has trouble breaking down aren't a bad idea too - even beyond the chemical, physical actually matters. This is why porridge is generally better than cereal - it's less processed, and the starches will last longer before being broken down)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

...this has got to be the only place where talking about breakfast turns into a chemistry lesson.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile

...this has got to be the only place where talking about breakfast turns into a chemistry lesson.

I envy educated people.  :-[

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

did you know that the process for making brown gas is simple? Also did you know that all life is the manipulation of electrons crossing?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

So become one!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All my knowledge on this subject comes from a smattering of biology, and chemistry education, wikipedia, and crash course biology... which I don't actually watch that much of, but the bit about sugars and such looked interesting.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

All my knowledge on this subject comes from a smattering of biology, and chemistry education, wikipedia, and crash course biology... which I don't actually watch that much of, but the bit about sugars and such looked interesting.
^
This. You could get most/all of that from high school biology class, with any of the remainder from chemistry.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile

7N2 + 9CO2 + 2Li3N = 1C3N4 + 6LiCN3 + 9O2

That reaction is a chemical reaction that uses Carbon Dioxide to produce a semiconductor (C3N4) and a precursor to a fertilizer (LiCN3), and produces a lot of excess energy in doing so.

Think of the possibilities!

Rage because we didn't discover something like this before we dumped (And continue to dump) a ton of Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 3345