Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 755 756 [757] 758 759 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700477 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Theros that made me lol, maybe I should have refactored that variable there
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

It is still broken.
Yea, my money is on your router.  But here's 100 questions.  Is your system set to use a static IP or dynamic?  Any other computers in the house?  They have the same symptoms?  If no other computers or they don't have the problems, is your connection wired or wireless?  If it's wired does your system have an ethernet expansion card or is it built into the motherboard? (if the place the wire goes is up in the same area as most of the usb slots on the back, it likely is built into the motherboard)  If it's an expansion card do you know if the shops tried another card?  If it's built in any capacitors look odd (seem to be expanding upward or have a brown substance coming out of them) or any burn marks?

If it's wireless are there any thick concrete or metal based walls between your system and the router?  Are there any other wireless networks nearby using the same channel?  Wireless card or built in...

There are a ton of things that can happen to cause intermittent connections.  Surprises me that they never managed to fix it though, after the 2nd visit I would think they would consiter possible router issues.  Be an good excuse to charge for a housecall at least.  But as I said, if you brought the computer in a number of times and it hasn't been solved the problem might not be the computer.

By the way I don't expect you to answer those questions.  Those are just the questions I would be asking if I was a tech trying to work on the system.  Though most of those I would answer myself after a look see.

Wow 8 ninjas while I was writing this.

nd it's not related to the router, because it happens in other places, and even when i'm not actually CONNECTED to the internet
Hmm.  bad cabling maybe?  If they replaced the system board it's probably not that, unless it's a bad part that fries other parts...  Might still be Operating system related.  System Restore usually works, but I've seen situations where system restore SHOULD have fixed the problem and hasn't.  At that point I would be thinking complete OS reinstall.  Maybe trying a repair first if possible, see if windows notices any bad files.  But of course an OS reinstall is pretty drastic.  And it might be better just to live with the problem than have to back up all the data and hassle with reinstalling software.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:44:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Network Interface Card.
...and how do I check this?
Just like any other piece of hardware. Assuming Windows, go into the device manager and check for conflicts, update the drivers, etc.

Edit: Forgive me for being a derp, but are you wired or wireless? I may have a solution for you...
Does that solution involve HP? :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Network Interface Card.
Just like any other piece of hardware. Assuming Windows, go into the device manager and check for conflicts, update the drivers, etc.

Edit: Forgive me for being a derp, but are you wired or wireless? I may have a solution for you...
Does that solution involve HP? :P
That'd be the best solution, no doubt, but I've had to fix 5 acers in the last year with fucked up wireless drivers (even after a clean install of windows!), so I know where to go to get them.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile

Network Interface Card.

Wireless. A week before I last took it in, I updated every single driver I could find to the most recent version, and there was no change whatsoever.

@Greiger: Two other computers, no problems with either of any kind. Wireless connection. More often than not I used the computer in the same room as the router. I can't open it up to check the hardware because it's a laptop and it'd void the warranty, but given that it recently got opened up by the folks at Acer and inspected, I'd hazard a guess that if there were any damaged areas they'd be on the 'main board', whatever that is, because that's the only part that they replaced. I don't know about the IP thing, though.
くコ:彡

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Can you tell me what kind of wireless card you have in the lappy? Failing that, the model?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Atheros AR5B97.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Here ya go. Try installing this, and see how that works.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I already had that driver. Furthermore, the computer is being taken back to the shop as we speak, for either a refund or a replacement, depending on how intimidating my father needs to be and how Acer decides to respond.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Well, foo. You could always buy an HP? :P

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, foo. You could always buy an HP? :P
Using my dad's new Samsung right now. No problems so far, and runs even better than my old computer. Possibly due to the free 4gb of extra RAM that we had installed in the shop, making 8gb total.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Have to admit, Acer is pretty far down my totem pole for brand recommendation. The only thing I ever recommend of theirs is the Iconia tablet.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

What with acer being smack in the middle of 'not hp'?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Way i see it

shit
----------
HP, sony, most dells

ok
-------
Acer: they last longer than any laptop i owned so i can't complain
Lenovo
Dell Vostro: these are the only dells i would suggest to people as they are really well built compared to the damn alienwares i got
Toshiba: them and Acer are the only ones that are making budget gaming laptops

Nice
--------
ASUS

Origin
MSI
Sager
(note these guys use Clevo barebones for their devices)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I do enjoy my Acer Iconia
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 755 756 [757] 758 759 ... 3345