Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699782 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I have a job interview tomorrow! I'll get to work for a law firm fixing their computers and keep my current job! ^_^
Apparently, IT is the same thing as commission-based insurance sales. Fuck you, salesman. The disingenuous bullshit that salesmen these days are willing to do to make a buck makes me sick. Not only was I lied to about the position, I was lied to about the company that was offering the job. I really, really wanted to punch that guy in the face, but I held back.

Let me get this straight. You were lured into a place with the promise of Information Technology work for a law firm, like fixing computers....
Once there they either, a.) tried to sell you insurance or b.) tried to get you to sell insurance?

Bait and switch?

Man, I am sorry, that kinda crap makes me sick.
Yeah, they tried to get me to sell insurance. I calmly explained that I was there to inquire about an IT job that I was called about, and I was told to hang out until after the presentation and he'd get to me. After the presentation, I was told that I "looked so enthused about the sales job that I'm sure you'd be a perfect fit for that instead!" I firmly reminded him that I was there for the IT job, and was left alone while they "went to find someone for me to talk to." I was given a form to fill out (that I'd already filled out online,) and was then told that I had applied for the sales job, not the IT job, and that the IT job had "so many applicants that you shouldn't waste your time." I doubt the job ever existed. I thanked the guy for wasting my time, then he got red in the face and started in on me like he was going to chew me out. I put up one hand, told him to fuck himself and shove his job, and walked out.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I doubt the job ever existed. I thanked the guy for wasting my time, then he got red in the face and started in on me like he was going to chew me out. I put up one hand, told him to fuck himself and shove his job, and walked out

I do so love stories with happy endings...
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

The ending would have been much happier if he said, "Oh, there was a little mix up. Here's the paperwork for the job and a bucket full of money, now get to fixin' the computers!"

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The ending would have been much happier if he said, "Oh, there was a little mix up. Here's the paperwork for the job and a bucket full of money, now get to fixin' the computers!"

If that had been the case, you wouldn't have posted in here. So in the context of the rage thread, being justified in telling someone to take their job and shove it up their ass is perhaps the happiest of all possible endings.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I suppose. I'll take what I can get.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

$1178.56 for a math class.

$1178.56 for a math class that is required for a degree for a job I have been doing for the last 5 years.

$1178.56 for a math class that includes stuff far more advanced than I ever needed to do my job.  And stuff that my Boss, who has a doctorate, and has been in the business for 25 years, doesn't know how to do, and doesn't understand why I would need it.

I know there are a lot of math-philes in here, and I'm sure you all heard the "When am I ever going to use this outside of a learning environment?" question a thousand times.   But it strikes me as an even more pertinent question when it comes with a price tag of over a grand,  and that's not counting the books.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

...what the hell kind of math class is that?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

...college algebra....
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was my reaction to that one recent-ish xkcd. Learning for the sake of learning is great and all, but for what universities charge, you should really get more out of it that insight into the world or a fun experience.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Callous forming activities make every bit of sense datum coming from my hands feel like cat tongue. Without the purring, or the teeth. There is no benefit from this... besides a reminder to wear g'damn gloves, anyway. The strip of flesh I managed to rub off and am going to be dousing with rubbing alchohol periodically for the next few days is going to manage that reminder just bloody fine. Also, first time I've really felt pain from hitting an wound with the stuff. It's an interesting experience.

Also, Florida. I say it regularly, but yeah. Fuck this state with the rotted tree trunk I threw into a bonfire a little bit ago. Number of times I came within a half minute or so from heatstroke: Three. Been outside... maybe six hours. Maybe five. Inside recuperating, two-three hours. Not a good ratio, but it's better than breaking my half-decade no-heatstroke spree. Before that, it was min one a year since... a long while back. They frakking suck.

Anyway. Yard work. I'm done for the day and clean now and don't feel quite so infested, but not terribly happy. Probably do it again, and I don't begrudge the effort, but being outside when the temp's over 70F is not my idea of a good time.

It wouldn't have been so bad if people had told me it was going to happen and got me up at like, three AM to go do it. But no, I got called in around ten-ish, which... this is fucking Florida. If you have two goddamn brain cells to rub together you don't do shit away from AC for a good three-four hour space centered around noon. Exceptions for when there's no other time slot or you're doing it for someone else, but still.

I will forever wonder why the hell construction and roadwork in this state doesn't start around two hours after sunset and end two or four or so after sunrise. We've got to be losing population to that stupidity.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Already got your statistics done? Because that's going to come right after college algebra, and will make you ask the "WHHHYYYY???" question even more.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was my reaction to that one recent-ish xkcd. Learning for the sake of learning is great and all, but for what universities charge, you should really get more out of it that insight into the world or a fun experience.
I think most people ask "why do I have to learn this" when it comes to math because it's not an end unto itself, like playing an instrument or painting is. What can you do with solely math? Not much. People complain less about applied math, such as physics... but unless you're planning to be a game designer who spends 8 hours a day balancing numbers in a spreadsheet, solving for x isn't going to get you much in real life.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I think some level of stats is just useful in general.  As in, the ability to look at statistical evidence and come to reasonable conclusions based on it, which is good in a wide variety of jobs (certainly anything that involves selling things) and even outside of them.  Perhaps somewhere around Poisson Distribution you'll start to get tired of it though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Looks like my earlier happy was premature; apparently my old workplace is suffering from 'too many chiefs' syndrome, and had already hired everyone they needed, but miscommunication lead to me being told that there was a place for me. Looks like I'll be spending the summer stripping, repairing, and repainting a side of the house.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Looks like my earlier happy was premature; apparently my old workplace is suffering from 'too many chiefs' syndrome, and had already hired everyone they needed, but miscommunication lead to me being told that there was a place for me. Looks like I'll be spending the summer stripping, repairing, and repainting a side of the house.
Improved by use of best color.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 3345