Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698206 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

My computer has been starting really slowly. I'm annoyed.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Get an SSD and put your OS on that?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Right, so, tech issue.

Today my 1600x900 screen decided to start turning itself off.  Or rather, a couple of seconds after switching the screen on it seems to lose the backlight (you can still kindof see the page if you shine a torch at it and squint hard but it's not really workable).  It's kindof odd - the backlight must still be working since turning it off and on (briefly) restores it, although I guess some circuitboard somewhere could've come loose.  Anyone ever had something like this?  Coincidentally the first occurance of this was straight after putting in the Konami Code for GG's link in the Happy Thread earlier, although that's probably just a coincidence.
fixable but pain in the ass, you would have to dismantle most of the monitor, i recall making a tech thread but ironically no one went......

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Ah, right.  Probably not something I'd trust myself to do on my own then.  Guess I'll go talk to the store people.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Get an SSD and put your OS on that?

That sounds awesome. I've just got to figure out how one of those would go about getting installed in a laptop. It's likely got room for it since this thing is huge and I turned down the option for a second hard drive, but I doubt it would be as easy as in a tower.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

SSDs are very small, and if you had the option to put in a second hard drive, it's probably got a second hard drive bay. You may have to find a harness or frame for it, but you should just be able to stick it in the second slot and plug in the SATA cable. SATA drives don't require slave/master jumpers.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Well that sounds cool.

Hey, people take apart computers to clean out the dust, don't they? It's been two years since I've got mine and it's probably pretty dusty. Maybe I'll clean it (or find someone else to clean it) and check out my options then, possibly taking photos so you more tech-savvy people can interpret my computer's viscera for me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well that sounds cool.

Hey, people take apart computers to clean out the dust, don't they? It's been two years since I've got mine and it's probably pretty dusty. Maybe I'll clean it (or find someone else to clean it) and check out my options then, possibly taking photos so you more tech-savvy people can interpret my computer's viscera for me.
A can of duster sure can clean that out, go ahead and post it in my tech thread.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I'll do that when I get home in a few days.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

That would be luvly. Do we have a tech thread? We could keep the RRAAAAAGGGEEEE out of your computer guts. You don't want to turn it into HAL or GLaDOS.

Edit: Telle is a ninja.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be luvly. Do we have a tech thread? We could keep the RRAAAAAGGGEEEE out of your computer guts. You don't want to turn it into HAL or GLaDOS.

Edit: Telle is a ninja.
thank you sir
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108046.0

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Part of me is afraid two years of dust will make my computer's guts worthy of starting an EWWWWW thread.

Man, I hope none of the stuff from my keyboard can fall down in it. I don't want to know the things under my keys.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depending on the model installing a new hard-drive in a laptop could be either be a breeze or a complete pain. A friend of mine recently put in a SSD into his, and you literally had to unscrew and remove everything before you could get to the drive.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

I used to have an old HP Compaq that came to me with Win 3.1.1 installed on it :). It was my first computer and I used it until the power supply gave out on me. When I started tinkering on the inside of it, after about 7 years of use, I found almost a half inch of dust coating everything in the case. It was amazing that it ran as long as it did..
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

You can't have had an HP Compaq back then. We didn't own them until 2002.

Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 3345