Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699446 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Huh, I like hearing all this legal stuff from a completely unverifiable but still possibly true source. I always found some things in Law and Order hilarious, like during sentencing for a crime the victim still has the same bruises from being assaulted. They make it seem like an entire murder case goes by in a week. I mean I know they have the dates written there, but I've never bothered to check them. Maybe they just reapply the bruise makeup out of habit and then pretend the victim fell down the stairs just before the verdict.

My uncle does copyright law in Hong Kong. It's boring as hell, ridiculously profitable, and completely alienating. The man's in his mid fifties and he's never married. Though that might just be him. He lost a girlfriend trying to buy human-skin lampshades. Long story, but they were antique.

Yeah, that's a different, entirely better and transactional form of law. For the most part, he's probably got something close to a result he can promise. That'd be lovely.
________

In other news, we have a "Post-Representation Survey." These seem to be utterly useless documents to provide clients an avenue to complain over everything. They complain no matter what it seems, because things just didn't come sugar coated, shitting cute puppies everywhere that barf up one hundred dollar bills for everyone, or heaven forbid they didn't win their case, which no one can promise them....

I just got cussed out on the, "Please write down any comments or suggestions you may have to help us better serve our clients in the future," part of it, again. I really hate people. You can't buy a win and even if you somehow could what about the other side who would also be "buying a win," from their lawyer? Also damn that doesn't sound corrupt in a criminal law sense does it? :P If both opposing armies pray to god for victory, then who gets it? Both baseball teams in the game get paid, winner and loser, because both are needed for trial/game, and if it was rigged beforehand that wouldn't be fair or a game worth watching....

Client's comments, "You lawyers should die. You bastards do NOTHING at all but take money away from hard working people like me. I don't understend [sic] how you fuckers sleep at night knowing your [sic] killing the whole god damn world. You should pay for the case you screwed up and not me. I'm gonna report you to the bar and they'll presecute [sic] you for how much you fucking ruined this simple case. You dont' [sic] know what your [sic] doing and screwed up and I have to pay for it!? You said something about Justice. Where is it?

[The rest is redacted as it gets into even more profanity and case details]."

The bottom of the form has the following printed on it. "Thank you again. It was our privilege to represent you." No. No, it wasn't.... Spent hours on this case working every angle possible. Avoid going to law school kids. Just don't do it.

As for my authenticity, you can't fake being this jaded. I charged this man a total of $2000 to go all the way to trail on this matter, plus $1000 for a court reporter to take a deposition and a $100 filing fee to the court. I don't know another lawyer around here who would offer him better or close to that. I happen to know opposing counsel charged about $13000 lock stock and barrel....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:09:45 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

Completely unrelated to everything being said here, but it upset me:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12075/
Genuinely thought Steam would pay me for buying this bundle. Turns out you can't add it.

WARNING: Price may change and make this post odd. Explanation: Price is listed as -£20. Me happy when thinking I would be payed for playing a game.

EDIT: Yep, Steam ninja'd me. Reduction has rolled back from 150% to 75%.
Why the hell did you think Steam would pay you for playing a game?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

I am pulled over at a gas station, family who knows where, with a freezer in the back that will fly out my truck if I go over a curb the wrong way. And new orleans streets are all curb. I have to wait until they can buy some rope and come back for me. And the one person in this convoy without a load who could concievably turn around and go to a store, has a dead cellphone.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

I have zero doubt Truean is a real lawyer, and $2000 is pretty cheap, and that client is a bastard.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch

If Truean isn't a real lawyer she spends waaay too much time studying law and reading judicial rulings. Which is to say, of course Truean is really a lawyer.

As for that guy, I'd love to see these people who accuse you of "doing NOTHING but taking money away from hard-working people" wade into the quagmire that is the US legal system. Hell just link 'em to a couple Wikipedia articles and watch their noses start to bleed. It's easy to accuse someone of doing nothing when you don't understend a damn thing about it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I'm still trying to re-adjust my mental image of Truean from d00d to d00dette.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:24:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Well, considering that most who know her in real life consider her a dood...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

I hate it when professors hide VID's (very important details) such as the time limits on exams in the non-required study guide readings.

Apparently my psychology professors changed the time limit on the exams (we take them online) from 8pm to 6:30pm. Since I normally start slightly before 7 (all of my classes are over and I don't need to hurry up and finish to get to my next one on time), I logged on at 6:50ish only to discover that the exam had already been closed.  When I then sent them a message asking if I could do anything the response was "The change was made available in the study guide (which I hate and never use, the book explains it much, much better) and as such we can not help you". Getting a zero on this then automatically drops my grade by 12% of the total making the highest grade I can get in the class an 88%. (Which I already know I'm not going to get. Instead of doing a logical thing like having homework due at the next class; they decided to just have an assignment due every 2-3 days, regardless of the day that it falls on. I've had things due Sunday mornings for goodness sake! It really threw me for a loop at the beginning and I ended up missing a few assignments before I got the procedure down.)

Luckily the class isn't actually required for my degree (mechanical engineering) so I can make it up with other classes, but a horrible grade is going to make it much harder to hold onto my scholarship (full-tuition as long as I maintain a 3.5 GPA).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You gotta be really proactive with online courses. They expect you to check their sites daily, sometimes even multiple times a day, and I think they change test dates just to fuck with people who think they don't need obsess over their internet courses. I think they assume because they don't have you in a classroom, they need to "teach you rigor" in some other way....by changing your tests dates and expecting you to know about because you're treating their websites like a classroom.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

"The change was made available in the study guide"

It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Ah, online coursework and the arbitrary due times/dates. Though I think the most annoying part for me is when an assignment automatically locks if the window is closed or refreshed, and you lose your connection or your browser crashes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Study Guide" in my online classes was a whole website you logged into for everything.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Online classes are great for stuff you already mostly know and can breeze through.

Do not ever take them for something you don't know. Ugh.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You do have to remain flexible though, and not get lulled into a false sense of security. If you go "oh I'll do the test on X day and Y time" and stick to that routine, and stop checking the syllabus on regular basis....you'll get what happened above. Same thing happened to me, on a class I was breezing through. Or something even dumber will happen like there's a line of 20 people all needing to test that day, their network crashes, ect....

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Bonus points when that happens for an online networking/IT class. Mega bonus points.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 3345