Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699475 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

I think I'd be afraid of the screen falling on me.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... if you were afraid of that sort of thing, I somehow doubt you'd be on the bottom bunk of a bunk bed :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile

I think I'd be afraid of the screen falling on me.

Oh man that reminds me, there was a show where some kid had an aquarium built into the top bunk of his bed so he could look up into the fish. I would be terrified. Water is fucking heavy. Not to mention I'm sure it would be depressing to wake up every day hoping to god one of them isn't floating upside down.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alternatively, if you sleep in a bunk you could hook a computer monitor to the bottom of the top bunk and play whatever you want, or browse the net while laying down. I've seen a setup or two like that.

But that would require a separate monitor. For most people it's easier to just grap a laptop for their lap. Granted, it is a pretty sweet setup if you can manage it.

Also raeg. There are birthdays occurring. I hate birthdays.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Desk next to bed.

Totally awesome.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile

Completely unrelated to everything being said here, but it upset me:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12075/
Genuinely thought Steam would pay me for buying this bundle. Turns out you can't add it.

WARNING: Price may change and make this post odd. Explanation: Price is listed as -£20. Me happy when thinking I would be payed for playing a game.

EDIT: Yep, Steam ninja'd me. Reduction has rolled back from 150% to 75%.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:15:31 pm by Spaghetti7 »
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Why are the new rookies always a pain when going through the standard procedures like inquiring about a plea bargain?

Prosecutor: "I think defense counsel has a problem with police in general." [talking to me as 3rd person, like I'm sorta not there].
Me: "They're fine when they're not unlawfully arresting my clients."
Prosecutor: "O, you think this is funny?"
Me: "The systematic destruction of American Civil Liberties, hilarious. Don't you?"
Prosecutor: "What are you on about?"
Me: You don't know? You're the one telling the joke."
Prosecutor: "Not dignifying that with a response."
Me: "Yes, you'll find that witty comeback in your office underneath the stack of inadmissible bullshit you call this case. Please tell [senior prosecutor's name] I said hi and I know I owe him $15. Tuesday.... I miss working with him. You've got a ways to go before living up to him...."

I hate new assistant prosecutors. Hate them. Ignorant and arrogant, my favorite combination. How dare I inquire about a plea bargain. It's only standard procedure. You work for the state which means you get benefits and you're better than me.... ??? Don't make me hand you your ass in court.

I get the feeling this one's going to make me look up the basics of criminal law an experienced prosecutor wouldn't bother bugging me about. There's a couple extra hours of research I shouldn't have to brush up on.... And, I'm positive I won't be getting paid for doing them. I won't.... [sigh]. Plea it out and we can all go home rookie; you ain't making a name for yourself on this case and it's entirely possible you'll screw something up. If you can't manage the little shit, then they'll never trust you on the larger stuff. I mean, fresh out of law school and just passed the bar with no prior criminal law experience huh? Who are you related to exactly, 'cause right now anything with prosecution is a premium job and how did you beat out the other candidates?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:14:20 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

beaten with bribery?

crony capitalism [cough] nepotism.

I've literally got 2 new law grads following me around to see how crap is done and either of them know more than this guy, primarily because I've drilled it into them like an uncaring jackass usual. Bristling at the idea of a plea bargain? Really?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:18:08 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Truean, this is unrelated, but have you seen that farscape episode where 2/3rds of an entire planet is lawyers? If so, what did you think of it?

Also, would 0 be total idiot, or 10?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Aren't the prosecuters that last the ones that save the state money, instead of blowing it on 2-bit crimes?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

look, I have no clue what this lawyer stuff is like, but I have experience with idiots.

one a scale of idiocy, where are they? (0-10)
Truean, this is unrelated, but have you seen that farscape episode where 2/3rds of an entire planet is lawyers? If so, what did you think of it?

Also, would 0 be total idiot, or 10?

Haven't watched Farscape in forever. Can't recall episode or if I saw it, honestly.

As for the scale. I'm going with 0 being total idiot. Arbitrary, but meh.

The guy there is probably a 2-3 generally, who for some reason doesn't like discussing plea bargains at all. The ones following me around are about a 4 or 5 and improving greatly/rapidly. I've had them dissecting my old paperwork and forced them into explaining each and every solitary syllable of it and why it exists, what it is meant to accomplish, why it is there instead of something else, and shit that could go wrong despite it being there. Also what do you do if shit goes wrong.... Stuff like that. I'm giving them blank screens/ sheets of paper and forcing them to draft legal documents from nothing to learn how the hell to actually do it based on what I've shown them. By god they will know how to deal with a case, draft a will, draft a deed, and do/respond to discovery somehow....

I am, as usual, disappointed with American Law Schools and their total lack of knowing what the hell is up. These guys did not know how to go through an arraignment, bail for CSR or an evidence suppression motion, or how to enter exhibits into evidence. It isn't their fault; it is the schools' fault. It isn't like they paid $100,000 to be taught how to be lawyers and weren't shown how to do anything a courtroo.... O wait, it is.

As for rookie who is giving me crap recently. I dunno what his problem is. I think he's got this paladin/crusader complex and how dare I "oppose him." It's the job man....

Aren't the prosecuters that last the ones that save the state money, instead of blowing it on 2-bit crimes?

Not really. They're officers of the court and their job isn't necessarily to win, but to do shit right. I've met some very decent ones and in fact would defend them. This particular one is just being stupid/trying to prove himself....

Practically speaking it was quite the opposite for a while there actually. "Tough on crime," became a political slogan and convictions with higher sentences were desired for many crimes. Recently some states have realized this is stupid, but not all. Turns out if you stuff more people in prison you have to either build more prisons or expand existing ones. That shit is expensive and we are all broke.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:36:41 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I always thought prosecuters who try to make 2-bit crimes into trying Al Capone usually end up pissing off the DA or CA because they want small cases to be handled expediently. Instead of clogging the courts up with a ton of trials for stuff that the defendant wanted to plea out on.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

oops, wrong thread.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:27:50 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile

Huh, I like hearing all this legal stuff from a completely unverifiable but still possibly true source. I always found some things in Law and Order hilarious, like during sentencing for a crime the victim still has the same bruises from being assaulted. They make it seem like an entire murder case goes by in a week. I mean I know they have the dates written there, but I've never bothered to check them. Maybe they just reapply the bruise makeup out of habit and then pretend the victim fell down the stairs just before the verdict.

My uncle does copyright law in Hong Kong. It's boring as hell, ridiculously profitable, and completely alienating. The man's in his mid fifties and he's never married. Though that might just be him. He lost a girlfriend trying to buy human-skin lampshades. Long story, but they were antique.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

Who ever decides carrying forward the standard RPG concept (and name) of Classes into any sort of object-oriented game is a good idea, please step forward for summary execution by termites. That is all.

(Just got done refactoring CharClass and all appropriate references to be something like CharSubpath in CoffeeMUD. That wasn't the hard part. The hard part was sorting out which of the hundreds of method names using the word 'Class' were referring to the OOP type of class versus the Wizard type of class. No real documentation, of course.)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 3345