Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New! and Different! Farming problem in 0.31 !  (Read 900 times)

robbiec

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New! and Different! Farming problem in 0.31 !
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:40:33 pm »

Hey guys.

Just started playing around with DF and loving it so far, with 1 major frustration. I'm using the latest version (0.31.06), and I'm coming across a DIFFERENT farming problem to the one a lot of people have been posting about.

I irrigate the tiles using channels set as ponds, and then wait for the water to evaporate and voila: muddy tiles. Then I build farm plots on those tiles, NO PROBLEM. Once the farm plots are built, I set them to grow Plump Helmets in all four seasons. And then ... nothing. No plant seeds job happens, even if I've turned off all my planters other labour options. The farm plots just sit there all empty, and I have to find food from other sources.

So far I've played two fortresses, and this happened both times. 

Any thoughts? Anyone seen something like this? For now I'm going to 0.28 to see if I can grow some stuff in that version. I just want to feed my dwarves :'(

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: New! and Different! Farming problem in 0.31 !
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 01:43:56 pm »

Hey guys.

Just started playing around with DF and loving it so far, with 1 major frustration. I'm using the latest version (0.31.06), and I'm coming across a DIFFERENT farming problem to the one a lot of people have been posting about.

I irrigate the tiles using channels set as ponds, and then wait for the water to evaporate and voila: muddy tiles. Then I build farm plots on those tiles, NO PROBLEM. Once the farm plots are built, I set them to grow Plump Helmets in all four seasons. And then ... nothing. No plant seeds job happens, even if I've turned off all my planters other labour options. The farm plots just sit there all empty, and I have to find food from other sources.

So far I've played two fortresses, and this happened both times. 

Any thoughts? Anyone seen something like this? For now I'm going to 0.28 to see if I can grow some stuff in that version. I just want to feed my dwarves :'(

A screenshot would speed up diagnosis.

The one thing that wasn't mentioned in your post. Are you sure you have seeds?

pestilence

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:46:00 pm »

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your approach, but it could be that you're making your farm area above ground by building them in the area you channeled out. If this is the case, then you wouldn't be able to plant underground plant seeds.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »

Are you sure you have plump helmet spawn? They won't try to plant anything if they don't have anything to plant.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »

Should also make sure that you don't have any unmuddied tiles underneath your farms or non of the farm plot will be used.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 02:24:28 pm »

Should also make sure that you don't have any unmuddied tiles underneath your farms or non of the farm plot will be used.
This is the most likely case,  or you just have plump helmets, instead of plump helmet spawn.

Make certain EVERY tile under the farm is muddied.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 04:28:48 pm »

I've run into a similar issue, I built a food stockpile and it began to work for no reason I can imagine

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 05:09:30 pm »

One possibility - You mention that you've used channels to irrigate an area.  Are you trying to build farm plots on long single tile-width channels that also contain a ramp?  I would imagine that wouldn't work too well.
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 01:34:59 am »

You said you channeled above the farm?
Are all the farm squares still "subterranean"?  If you channeled from above ground, the squares underneath will have become "outside".

robbiec

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 11:13:12 am »

This was it. Thanks for the help guys! :)

I'm gonna put this in the wiki, because it had me super confused