Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am at work... bored... new players ask questions here.  (Read 738 times)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
I am at work... bored... new players ask questions here.
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:30:52 pm »

Title says it all...

robbiec

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: I am at work... bored... new players ask questions here.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 01:44:38 pm »

I'm new! And I have a question! And I don't want you to be bored!

Enjoy :D

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59058.0

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »

Already replied... so did another forum user. Both scenarios are possible causes.  :)

Taranli Maren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »

Here you go then.  I have... 75 war dogs following my animal trainer everywhere he goes.  Needless to say, my FPS is terrible.  What should I do with them so that they can aid in my fortress defense but not slow everything down this much?

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 03:01:29 pm »

Here you go then.  I have... 75 war dogs following my animal trainer everywhere he goes.  Needless to say, my FPS is terrible.  What should I do with them so that they can aid in my fortress defense but not slow everything down this much?

75 is quite alot. I'd chain them up in pairs are strategic locations (entrances, main stairwells, near stock piles with valuables to prevent thieves)

Assign one (or maybe two in your case) to dwarves that go outside often. This could include woodcutters, hunters(though they're sorta bugged atm) and i actually like assigning them to my weavers now since they seem to wander quite a bit in caverns looking for thread.

Doing that should make good use of your dogs but since FPS is also an issue i'd recommend building a cage and putting about 30 to 40 of those buggers in there to help with your FPS. That'll still leave you a good 35 war dogs which is quite a bit.

Either that or start a puppy leather clothing export industry.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »

damn, I was just think about posting on this same thing myself.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:19:47 pm »

Doing that should make good use of your dogs but since FPS is also an issue i'd recommend building a cage and putting about 30 to 40 of those buggers in there to help with your FPS. That'll still leave you a good 35 war dogs which is quite a bit.

Either that or start a puppy leather clothing export industry.
Then link that cage up to a pressure plate in your trap entrance - goblins stepping on it will suddenly find they've got 40 dogs all over them. Gives your military more time to react. Basically, war dog spam = chaffs.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 04:02:28 pm »

Seriously... i'm testing a mind numbingly boring game... helping newbs with DF is my only joy today. More questions.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:04:58 pm by K4el »

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 07:21:14 pm »

I have a not so newbie question, I guess.  So I have 2 pump stacks hooked up to absurd amounts of power.  I activate them and... nothing, looking at any machine component with q shows "frozen elsewhere".  On one of the pump stacks I find a couple pumps that say "frozen here" and unbuild them and the rest of the stack works... apparently being built on a natural ice floor causes freezing?  Ok whatever, on the other one I remove all pumps that are on ice floors and it still says frozen elsewhere, I cant find anything that says frozen here.  I have never heard of pump machines 'freezing' before, do you know anything about this? 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 07:48:13 pm »

I have a not so newbie question, I guess.  So I have 2 pump stacks hooked up to absurd amounts of power.  I activate them and... nothing, looking at any machine component with q shows "frozen elsewhere".  On one of the pump stacks I find a couple pumps that say "frozen here" and unbuild them and the rest of the stack works... apparently being built on a natural ice floor causes freezing?  Ok whatever, on the other one I remove all pumps that are on ice floors and it still says frozen elsewhere, I cant find anything that says frozen here.  I have never heard of pump machines 'freezing' before, do you know anything about this?

No personal experience but my best bet is that you need to either check your power generation machines and see if they are frozen or you need to deconstruct the whole stack.

As a first step i'd isolate the pump stack and the power generation machines. See if one or the other sets of machinery shows the frozen else where message. That'll help narrow it down.

Personally i dont view machines as very dwarfly. Dwarves don't need things to do work for them, they just need booze and a job list.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:56:46 pm by K4el »

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 08:13:15 pm »

Freezing occurs when a mechanism or axle is immersed in water which has frozen, and causes everything connected to said objects to stop working until the frozen part has been disconnected or thaws. In this case the water may have frozen inside of the pumps, although I'm doubtful whether the game tracks water being "in" the pipes. Since you were able to deconstruct pumps without having the entire stack come tumbling down, I'm guessing you're transferring power through mechanisms rather than from pump to pump? Perhaps some water at the output end of a pump splashed on a mechanism and froze? Or perhaps water froze on the passable tile of a pump?

edit: also, it's nigh-impossible to pump water anywhere above the surface in arctic climates. It freezes the moment it hits any "light" tile, regardless of whether it is inside or not.

double edit: personal experience. I was trying to make tradersicles.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 08:47:36 pm by Eidako »