Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be made into one of the new DFHack plugins? (This is not binding)

Yes, I want to be able to use it with the DFHack console
- 288 (45.6%)
No, I like the stand alone QT version
- 140 (22.2%)
Both
- 204 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 631

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 106

Author Topic: Runesmith - A DC like tool  (Read 373378 times)

ammy55

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Runesmith - A DC like tool
« Reply #1005 on: March 10, 2011, 03:39:45 pm »

scanning on virustotal will update post when done

virustotal:2 of 43
jotti's malware scan:0 of 20
no virus thanks: 0 of 9
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:58:10 pm by ammy55 »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 10, 2011, 03:45:59 pm »

Why would it be a virus?
Terrible scanners just replace actual proper functionality with that "if it's not signed, it must be bad, durrhurr" crap.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 10, 2011, 04:21:03 pm »

Probably, it would be flagged as a virus because it's editing the runtime data and memory of DF. It's easy to mistake that for messing with a program's execution in a malicious way. If anyone plays starcraft mods, it's the same thing.
In any case, relax. Runesmith has a community behind it, and people are always the best defense. A thread doesn't get to 68 pages when it's about a virus-infested utility, unless all 68 pages are of enraged DF players. (which they definitely are not because runesmith is awesome)
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 10, 2011, 07:04:08 pm »

Probably, it would be flagged as a virus because it's editing the runtime data and memory of DF. It's easy to mistake that for messing with a program's execution in a malicious way. If anyone plays starcraft mods, it's the same thing.
In any case, relax. Runesmith has a community behind it, and people are always the best defense. A thread doesn't get to 68 pages when it's about a virus-infested utility, unless all 68 pages are of enraged DF players. (which they definitely are not because runesmith is awesome)
:D
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:52 pm »

my antivirus flaged a .bat file with content: "program.exe >log.txt" as trying to steal my id. Although I marked it as exception it still did not allow to rename or delete it (kept it open). I guess antivirus soft just gets more paranoid with time.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 10, 2011, 09:08:29 pm »

Norton Antivirus constantly tears my utilities to shreds.  They're all flagged as "High Risk" since they edit memory.  And I know at least 4 of you people out there have run Overseer and had the same thing happen.  Norton tells me so.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1011 on: March 10, 2011, 10:27:02 pm »

Norton Antivirus constantly tears my utilities to shreds.  They're all flagged as "High Risk" since they edit memory.  And I know at least 4 of you people out there have run Overseer and had the same thing happen.  Norton tells me so.
Well, it treats you like an idiot if it won't let you whitelist things.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:16 pm »

Oh it lets you whitelist it.... after you grab it back out of the quarantine folder once it's already been deleted.

So really it just makes me want to kill someone, instead of making me redownload and uninstall Norton.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 10, 2011, 11:56:34 pm »

Delete Norton and let's get back to important Runesmith talk that's actually important.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 11, 2011, 12:24:10 am »

Yes.  Thank you for all these nifty Dwarfy Tools.  I shall put them to good use.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 11, 2011, 01:33:05 am »

Yes.  Thank you for all these nifty Dwarfy Tools.  I shall put them to good ethically questionable use.

Fix'd that for ya.
Any way, many spanks for such a wonderful set of tools to (ab)use.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:12 am »

What, it's not ethically questionable. I already changed those ethics in the raw files. We're not cheating, we're using a resource to make the game more fun. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 12, 2011, 04:28:57 am »

Once again, thanks for letting us use this great tool, sizeak, and thanks for all the work you put into it.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 12, 2011, 10:45:26 am »

How this for "ethically questionable":

I spent about 2 hours using a 14-embark edit of the game, starting a new embark.  I jotted down everyone's personalities, attributes, and a few likes.  I found out who would be good for leadership, who sucks, and who is going to be my miner.  It was all very thorough.  I finally get to number 14.  I'm proud of myself.

Then the unthinkable happens... I hit 'e' prematurely.  None of my dwarves have skills.

I feel like I've almost gotten to know these dwarves! And after using dfreveal I found that this site is absolutely FILTHY with hematite, magnitite, cobaltite, truesilver (I'm using a mod for this), and various other rare and/or valuable ores.

Would it be too much to ask for Runesmith to actually allow me to SET my dorf's skills?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 12, 2011, 11:19:50 am »

Would it be too much to ask for Runesmith to actually allow me to SET my dorf's skills?
Nope, it would not, because it can already do that.
Click on the level rating for that skill in that dwarf's list and it'll allow you to edit the levels by number.
Keep in mind, though, that the dwarf has to have finished at least one job in that skill before it shows up in the list.
Unlike Dwarf Companion (that poor poor dead tool) this cannot give your dwarfs new skills.

Use Therapist (or the ingame interface if you're a masochist) to give them the labor, have them complete one job, then edit them up to where you meant them to be.

EDIT: VERY VERY minor: LICENCE.txt => LICENSE.txt
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:25:58 am by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 106