Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (Succession) Hazypainted - where demons once lived  (Read 3961 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
(Succession) Hazypainted - where demons once lived
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:28:16 am »

I've been playing DF for a while, but this is my first succession game, so I wanted it to be something memorable, something epic, and I couldn't think of a better candidate than cleaning up demonic fortress and settling in it. Rules are usual - 1 week IRL/1 year ingame per person, no mods, etc.

Player list:
1. Dariush (finished)
2. burlingk (finished)
3. Azrathud (finished)
4. Lafiel (in progress)
5. Arni
∞. Azrathud

22 Granite, 1052
Greetings to anyone who may happen to read this journal. My name is Melbil Ilfikod, and first of all I want to excuse myself for a three-week pause before I started to write events down - this happened because Rakust carried all our ink with him into the heat of battle... But wait, let me tell about my history and history of this fort first.

My parents were carpenters in a minor town, as were my grandparents and grand-grandparents. However, I didn't want to spend my whole life in mundane forge, so when I heard about several new outposts being put up, I immediatly set out to Mountainhome. A year did I spend there, waiting for a chance to join a party of adventurers. At last, my patience dried up, so once I saw preparations for resource wagon at the gates, I determinedly went to King's chambers.

At this point I did my first grave mistake by bursting into throne room in the middle of interview with, as I learned later, the very same adventurers who were setting out. After it, I did my second grave mistake by asking the King to be allowed to join the party no matter what. At last, I did my third and last grave mistake by not tearing up the papers, jumping out of the window, running off to the wilds, shaving my beard and living the rest of my life as hermit after the King, with calm little smile, added my name to those setting out.

I understood all this after I set out with my new companions to a place several kilometers from Mountainhome to set up an outpost. Oh, and we had to rid the local demonic fortress of it's inhabitants. Nothing hard, right?

I planned to run away if as soon as things went wrong, but until then I didn't have much to do except write down out supplies and biographies of my companions. We took only the essentials since preparations for fending off demonic horder took up much of amount permitted by the king:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Five of my new friends were mercenaries who were paid by the King to rid the land of demons - three swordsmen, one axeman and a miner. Don't let that humble title misguide you - he was rumored to once cleave an elf's head clean off with his pick!
The sixth one was a miner - relaxed, nervous, self-dependant dwarf who joined the party just for the sheer adventures it was going to endure. Here are more detailed biographies:
Melbil (carpenter, leader):
Dumat (miner):
Asmel (miner mercenary):
Rakust (woodcutter, axedwarf and mercenary leader):
Kol (swordswarf and farmer):
Ber (swordsdwarf, mason and mechanic):
and Feb (swordsdwarf, carpenter, mason and stone crafter):

The very moment we arrived, both miners went down to where the fortress was planned to be. The rest of us meanwhile did what they were good it - made beds, cut trees, harvested plants... But with every moment I was becoming more and more afraid of what was to come from the depths. At last from somewhere below came Dumat's cry - he broke into cavern containing the demonic fortress. That very moment everyone except me and Dumat gathered at the stairs and Rakust started to give out equipment orders. Weapons were quickly, armor appeared in place of coats and jackets. I was given all three (carpenters, mechanics and masons) workshops under my management while mercenaries marched under the earth. Actually, they didn't get far - right at that moment a grinning skeletal mostrosity, somewhen in the past probably having been an amphibian beastman jumped out of the opening. It was immediatly hacked to pieces by warriors, but still the sight of it staring at me from distance of several meters isn't one I will forget in a hurry.

After this short encounter the rest of my companions descended into the dark fortress. I could hear the cries from below, but luckily they were cries of bloodlust and rage, not of pain. Rakust and others found Dumat there - poor soul didn't have time to escape from undead and was chased by one across the cavern.

Shuddering with thoughts about the massacre below, I went back to my duties. Soon after Rakust returned (and brought me ink without which I couldn't write this journal) and told me that they found adamantine weapon-seal and many more undead. Several stray beastmen were hiding in caverns, but they shouldn't be much of a problem, considering that five of us killed several dozens of them with just a broken Asmel's finger on our side.

6th Slate 1052

Rampage is finished.
Now that the miasma cleared up, I've been able to draw a crude sketch of the main fortress level where the first and main contact insued:
Summing up the kill-list by the warriors, we've got 206 dead undead (pun intented), two dead cats (our last and only cats!...) and one broken finger. It's time to lay down weapons and return to civilian life.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:20:51 am by Dariush »

mathlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Hazypainted - where demons once lived
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 05:58:57 pm »

sign me in as second or third plz

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:31:47 am »

sign me in as second or third plz
Of course ;)
19 Slate, 1052
We are very busy dragging our supplies into fortress, so I'll note only the most important things happening. We've agreed on farm location (a little to the west of the fort) and started planning the bedrooms. Today cave-in knocked Dumat out and broken his right hand and left leg. He lost a lot of blood. We'll have to appoint someone as doctor to see to him.
10 Felsite, 1052
A troll showed up. I don't doubt for a moment that he will be killed immediatly by out military.
12 Felsite, 1052
The troll didn't live long.
Middle of Felsite, 1052
Dumat tantrumed, so I had to talk to him. Even though, he periodically tantrums again, so I can't do any of more useful work...
End of Felsite, 1052
Several crundles showed up and were brutally massacred by swordsmen. At least we won't have any trouble with food now...
Start of Hematite, 1052
Dumat tantrumed again...
12 Hematite, 1052
Kol set up a butcher's shop and started making something edible out of crundles and troll. Due to clutter his work halted, and nobody of dwarves has time to help him out...
15 Hematite, 1052
This... Dumat tantrumed again...
(writing goes sharp and large) ...I hate him. I HATE HIM. I hate his stupid wailing face... (there's a tear in parchment, probably from aggressive writing) I WILL KILL HIM!!!!! I WILL KILL... (the rest of the parchment is missing)
(in large inaccurate writing)
3rd Malachite
Ol' fella Melbil died t'day of thirst. We ha' a whole lotta booze but 'e won't touch a thin'. Guess he wen' bonkers, ya know. We'll bury 'im, but first I'll 'ave to tell guys. 'ate this world. Feb Acameton.

(actually, Melbil didn't go insane, but got stuck in a conducting meeting-loop. Guess we'll have to do without him now...)
16th Malachite
F*ck. Dumat got melancholic. Poor ol' Dumat...
28th Malachite
8 migrants 'ave arrived. Guess it'll be easier to manage this f*cking place...
Somewhere in Sandstone
We finish'd bedrooms, plans for 'ich I founf s'vral weeks befor'. No' we won't ha' to sleep on rocks!
1st Timber
2 migrants arriv'd... and a cow calf.
19th Timber
Liason arrived... at last. I though we 'ere forgotten in 'is hellhole...
5th Moonstone
We traded some mechanisms and sh*t for an anvil  and horse. 'ose dorfs in Mountainhome really 're stupid...
5th Opal
We got attack'd by three cave ogres... Rakust 'ot his shoulder and lower spine broken, but 'e'll prob'ly live.

So, the year ended without anything major happening with 16 dwarves onboard and 2 dwarves dead. Here's the save and the map.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:41:49 am by Dariush »

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:48:39 pm »

I'll take third place then. Is it okay if I use vanilla ASCII?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:51:48 pm by Azrathud »

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 02:22:04 pm »

Count me 4th!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:53:28 am »

Sure, you are enlisted ;) Second turn changed ownership due to previous player not responding.
Is it okay if I use vanilla ASCII?
yes, of course ;)

burlingk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hazypainted - Year Two
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 10:59:27 pm »

Feb Akimiton, Spring 1053:
When we arrived, the mission was simple.  Subdue the enemy presence and settle and repopulate the demon citadel with Dwarves.  The first season was a bloodbath.  Or it would have been if this place had contained any living inhabitants.  They were undead, all of them.  No wonder our orders were as harsh as they are.  For the moment, all that is left are some crundles.  They are harmless enough for now.

As we entere into the second year, we still need to get our metals industry up and going.  Our prospectors have located small deposits of iron and copper, and we hope to find more soon.  I fear that I may have to send teams to the surface however to gain access to enough coal.

We have started to move into the demon fortress propper, or at least the top of it.  We will have to make preparations before we send units any deaper in.

We have already found the key.  It sits there taunting us.  The most beautiful weapon I have ever seen.  I've been warned though.  I've been warned not to give into the temptation of that unholy blade.  I will hold it eventually.  We must prepare first for war.

Feb Akimiton, Summer 1053:

The crundles started acting up, and we started having a bit of miasma trouble.  We should probably do something about all of the dead creatures laying about, but the military Dwarves insist that they have everything under control.

We are finally starting to smelt metals.  It is about time.  Autumn is upon us in just a few short weeks.

Feb Akimiton, Autumn 1053:

We had a bit of an issue.  Our metal smith went AWOL for a few weeks.  We couldn't find him anywhere.  When we found him, it turned out the stupid bastard had been hiding out taking a nap in an area that was being closed up.  When he woke up, he was trapped.  He should be glad we found him when we did.  Someone walking buy heard him knocking on the walls.  He is lucky he didn't starve.

I swear, I am surrounded by geniuses.

Feb Akimiton, 27 Sandstone 1053:

Ah hell, we have company.  The ugliest damned thing I ever saw just came waltzing into camp.  If someone else makes the next log entry, it means either that I got fired, or I didn't survive.  About the same thing either way really.  I gotta go figure out how to kill a giant flying leach.

Feb Akimiton, 2 Timber, 1053:

We survived.  One of the wrestlers did something rather undwarvenly to the beast, and it went down like a big bag of goo.. Which is basically what it looked like.

Feb Akimiton, 4 Timber, 1053:

I think that one of the military guys is starting to crack.  He fights just fine, but he wanders around talking to himself all the time, and keeps giving his sword different names.  Yeah, the really strong fighters all name their swords, but not every day.  They usually give it one and stick to it.

It all stared after the Shadmal business last week.  Damned flying leech musta addled his brain.  Musta been too much for the poor guy.

Feb Akimiton, 15 Timber, 1053:

Saw something new today, or at least not just another crundle.  The boys are out chasing a Gorlak around the compound.

Feb Akimiton, 5 Moonstone, 1053:

Winter is upon us.  The merchants have come, and they brought meat.  I was also able to pick up another anvil and some cloth.  That will help get the seed situation under control.

The farmers managed to start a small flood while irigating crops.  Nothing major really, just some overzealous pumping.  All in all, looks like it will actually help the farms.

Feb Akimiton, 15 Moonstone, 1053:

We have begun digging a secondary shaft in our search for magma.  I thought it might be safer that way, as it would give any creatures we found less direct access to the main compound.  In the process we have found a large pit, and more caverns.  Still looking for magma.  It should not be long now.

Feb Akimiton, 22 Opal, 1053:

Almost the end of the second year, and I am still in charge.  Oh well. 

We found the magma level and are carving out a room to use for the new magma forge.  It will be glorious.

Feb Akimiton, 28 Opal, 1053:

The construction of the forge is underway, and a smelter shall be built as well.  These will aid us greatly in our future endeavors.

Feb Akimiton, 22 Obsidion, 1053:

Probably the last log entry of the year.  The smelters are up.  Next year we may do a kiln as well.  The possabilities are endless.  I have hollowed out a space above the magma furnace room as a stock pile for smelted metal.  I am creating a room right above that to stockpile unsmelted ore.  Everything is going great, but somehow I am starting to feel detached from it all.

The problem is my dreams, I keep having really vivid dreams, like they are trying to tell me somethi..... (The writing just trails off in a bit of a scrawl.)

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:32:29 am »

Map for the end of burlink's(emry), and the start of my, turn

A kitten leather bound book lies under a small pile of wood chippings; it was forgotten in a sudden frenzy.
Asmel Ninurcatten, a Miner, stood by his dwarf-mate's side. His eyes were gleaming with anticipation at what she was was crafting. She too had these gleaming eyes.

"Is it done?" Asmel asked. There was a pause. Only the rumblings of a busy fortress were heard for the next moment. Asmel was ignored. She had blocked out all outside noise to focus on the item.

"Bah! I don' need to know," Asmel grumbled,  "I better get back to work anyways." Clomp! His feet were on noticeably varied elevations and material. He bent down to see what object was under the heightened .

The dwarf's scruffy fingers reached around a book nestled in a sizeable pile wood chippings.

Asmel Ninurcatten, 1st of Granite, 1054:
Seeing as Feb is.. indesposed, I will write his journals in place. It he could serve him well to keep him updated on current events when he wakes up.

Ah, a new year! I feel as if I'm a new dwarf!

Feb Akamīton, 2st of Granite, 1054:
Me absence didn't last too long and me dear husband took over for me while I was creating a magnificent artifact!

I don't know what he was thinking...

Feb Akamīton, 22nd of Granite, 1054:
Deduk Degelning died due to bleeding of the head today. Apparently the wrong milita team was sent out to destroy a elk bird that was pestering the workers.

Feb Akamīton, 24nd of Granite, 1054:
Kol, swordsdwarf, properly dispatched the elk bird without a scratch today. Who knows what it would of done now that it had the taste of dwarf blood.

Feb Akamīton, 29nd of Granite, 1054:
One of the farmers talked about 'fertilizing' the farms! I say it is all cat sh*t if you ask me!

Feb Akamīton, 3nd of Slate, 1054:
A crundle met interrupted one of my military dwarfs today. He didn't last long to say the least.

Reports of a forgotten beast have shook the fortress. No one has been injured yet nor any other disturbances have came about from it yet so I will leave it, if it is, alone.

Feb Akamīton, 13th of Slate, 1054:
A total of 22 migrants arrived today. Military barracks are being planned and civilian sleeping areas are being mined. Be darned if I see my dwarves sleeping on the floor!

Feb Akamīton, 7th of Slate, 1054:
A hospital has been set up and Eden Dumatdeduk has become chief medical dwarf. The new military dwarves will rest easier now.

Feb Akamīton, 4th of Felsite, 1054:

The reports of a mysterious beast were true! He managed to stumble through my farms and destroy a farmers workshop! The creature put up a hell of a fight! You should have seen it! The fumes made a dozen or so Dwarves sick to their stomachs! Haha! Oh.. The glory of battle.

Feb Akamīton, 15th of Hematite, 1054:

Yet another megabeast comes crawling to our fortress! I'm tired of it I tell you!

Feb Akamīton, 17th of Hematite, 1054:
A herbalist was severely injured and is being recovered by my medical dwarf as I speak-- write. That fire throwin' beast is gone!

Feb Akamīton, 1st of Malachite, 1054:
Listast Lelumcog, Engraver, has been looking strange lately..

Feb Akamīton, 3st of Malachite, 1054:
Look at him go. What on the earth is he building?

Feb Akamīton, 16st of Malachite, 1054:
Litast created a magnetite earring! Praise Armok.
A shortage of barrels has left most of our dwarves thirsty. They are hesitant to drink the foul water. I am too.

Feb Akamīton, 18st of Malachite, 1054:
Some migrants have arrived. Seven to be exact. We be needen some more military dwarf around here anyways..

Feb Akamīton, 23rd of Malachite, 1054:
Armok spoke to me tonight.. He told me in a vivid dream that I will lead the conqest over the Human scum for the greater good of the Dwarves!

Feb Akamīton, 22nd of Galena, 1054:
The humans arrived today. They looked at us funny and we stole everything they had.

Feb Akamīton, 22nd of Galena, 1054:
Another Dwarf looks just like other ones: crazy. A treasure will be made no doubt!

Feb Akamīton, 12th of Sandstone, 1054:
A malachite amulet has been made. Dwarves from accross the lands will flock to this magnificent artwork.

Feb Akamīton, 14th of Timber, 1054:
A caravan from motherland arrived today! Rejoice!

Feb Akamīton, 2nd of Moonstone, 1054:
Many a craft was sold! Much of it was made with the bones of our enemies encrusted with precious gems. Our traders over increased our overflowing meat storages because of the surplus crafts we had!

Feb Akamīton, 5th of Moonstone, 1054:
Tholtig, Animal Trainer, appeared in the hospital today with a mangled arm, leg, and some other minor injuries. What the hell happened to him?

Azrathud, God of Dwarves and Cat Tallow Biscuits, 2nd of Opal, 1054:

All non-magma forges and furnaces were deconstructed and magma powered ones were built in their place.

A to-be-glorious pathway leads to the Captian of the gaurds' room.

The farms produces pigtails for cloth to weave into bags, rope, and trade goods, quarry bushes for the leaves to be stripped and cooked into meals, plump helmets for food and bear, and, (hopefully) in the future, cave wheat for beer and flour to be made into meals.

Three eastern farms were removed because of the lack of farmers and overproduction of food.

The two uppermost workshops are asheries for making lye for soap and potash for crop fertilizations. The bottom workshop is a soap workshop which makes soap for cleaning out wounds, and stop them from being infected, in the hospital.

A forgotten beast lays in wait for unwary prey to pass by.

Trading depot and crafting workshops.

Dwarven Hospital.

Center of business: A place to drink.

Dwarven housing project built before this year.

Another housing project built early in this year.
Both projects are full.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:10:10 pm by Azrathud »

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 11:50:49 pm »

Count me in 5th plz :D
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:50:39 am »

Feb Akamīton, 4th of Obsidian, 1054:
A forgotten beast has appeared suddenly and killed Obok, an high esteemed wrestler, before we could get to him. He will be honored.

That's it folks.
Here is the map and the save
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:11:17 am by Azrathud »

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 10:39:19 am »

You can press r to show the combat reports, by the way. Whatever attacked the animal trainer completely destroyed his skull. I doubt he will recover.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 12:36:20 pm »

I'll get on it. BTW, what's the version? Just to be sure   8)  I hope you don't mind if I use the Mayday tileset.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 01:43:17 pm »

BTW, what's the version?
I hope you don't mind if I use the Mayday tileset.
of course not. why does everyone ask about their tileset availiability?  ???

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 02:27:36 pm »

I should note that I've never breached into HFS in this version... the demonic fortresses have slade walls, right? Because we have one right next to the forges. This means I'll stay far away from THERE for a while... unless you think we can take them on?

PS: Wait a minute... we ARE living inside slade walls... the thing was empty? I thought we were going to have to "empty" it first. Or did it happen already?
I guess I'm gonna reread everything.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:30:07 pm by Lafiel »

burlingk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:57:41 pm »

Year one was emptying the entry area for the demonic fortress and setting up basic stuff.

Year two was more along the lines of cleaning up the infrastructure and trying not to make too much of a mess.  That and getting the metal industry going.

Pages: [1] 2