Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26839 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #360 on: June 20, 2010, 06:45:59 am »

Because someone you don't even know has an opinion and it's different to yours.

Oh god! It cannot be! Everyone, panic!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 20, 2010, 06:52:54 am »

Hi!

Footkerchief: Your reply does not make much sense.

Since I quoted your comment about how most anime sucks except for a few exceptions, I think we were talking about the original material, that is animated movies and series created in Japan. How you can then use my statements about my avatar to answer the question of definition is kind of confusing, since I am not part of the anime business, so I can't really represent them.

And even if you wanted to criticize the fandom, your quote was then poorly chosen. For what do my points boil down to?

1. I picked about the best drawing I have created for my avatar. Is that something weird? Should I use a shoddy sketch I don't like myself in a week's time for an avatar? Or rather, is this attitude to go for the best thing for my avatar something specific to anime fans, while everyone else does not bother to think about whether their avatar picture is well-done?

2. I picked an image that has a meaning for me, an image that I can relate to. Again, is that something specific to anime fans? Is it required for people to be normal to pick random images for their avatars without any meaning for them, not relating in any way to them? And the relationship I chose was one of love - is that what you find peculiar? Are people not allowed to have avatars they relate to positively? Do people normally pick things they hate for their avatars (if they make a choice on how they relate to things in the first place)?

3. One of my pastimes is doing some simple drawings, and because of that, I picked one of those drawings for my avatar. Should we not do that? Is it bad for an amateur to do some drawings of their own (then you better get support to shut down the fanart thread here on the forums....)? Or is it bad for a person to use their own drawings for their own avatar? Or rather, are you suggesting that normal people don't draw pictures and even if they did, they would just hide them and not use them at an appropriate opportunity?

I am sorry, but I can't find any logic in how you quoted me to answer a question not really related to my own attitudes.

As it stands, you have still not answered why you generalize about anime as a whole in your previous statement.

Deathworks

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 20, 2010, 06:55:14 am »

Maybe... maybe he's applying Sturgeon's law?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 20, 2010, 06:59:26 am »

No, I don't think so. It makes no sense for that post.

Especially since Deathworks said it was his best, and Sturgeon laws applies to most things being the worse.

And since Deathworks picked it, it is his metric that counts for it being good, so even if Fookercheif doesn't like it, its a null point.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 20, 2010, 07:02:32 am »

This whole thread is getting ridiculous. I mean, Pathos, what kind of an answer did you expect to get from people? "Japanese are so kawaii!!  :P"? I dislike Japanese culture. It's why I don't go around making threads about it and pissing a whole bunch of people off.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 20, 2010, 07:04:03 am »

It's kinda just how Pathos is. :P

No, I don't think so. It makes no sense for that post.

Especially since Deathworks said it was his best, and Sturgeon laws applies to most things being the worse.

And since Deathworks picked it, it is his metric that counts for it being good, so even if Fookercheif doesn't like it, its a null point.

I was referring to his original post, the one asking, essentially, "why saying anime is generally crap is controversial in any way at all". If you take "generally crap" to mean that a large percentage is crap, then this holds true, for anime as for tv shows, and comic books, and movies, and so on and so forth.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 20, 2010, 07:05:50 am »

This thread has reached 25 pages. Ask yourself, are you really shocked that it got ridiculous?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 20, 2010, 07:08:30 am »

The arguments in this thread have gone to down to roads and intermix with one another. Specify aspects that unique to Anime and over generalization.

I dislike Anime because of X, Y and Z. And that X Y and Z is Anime in its entirety.

X Y and Z are found in all other fandoms, and they are a minority in all fandoms.

THerefore they must dislike all other fandoms, including this one. Which is sorta hypocritical that they participate in a fandom community. Or they're having issues with intellectual honesty and compartmentalize and stating that X Y Z is worse in Anime, just because. That lack of support makes it void.

They could state that they dislike the parts of Fandom that are X Y and Z, and the conflicts comes to a resolution. As it stops being contradictory and stops being an over generalization.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:13:35 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 20, 2010, 07:13:26 am »

Looking back it wasn't really just Pathos I guess. A lot of people made this worse than it should have been already was. My apologies for singling you out, Pathos.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 20, 2010, 11:24:16 am »

I have a question, are we sure that Deathwork's avatar IS female? I've always assumed it was an immature male cat-thing eating something, or maybe yawning. It doesn't even have boobs, so it can't be both female AND anime.

(Edit 1: By the way, it's only 8 pages for me!)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 20, 2010, 11:25:29 am »

I sure as hell hope its a female.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 20, 2010, 11:32:01 am »

Bah, I dont like anime in general. I was borderline tolerant when a friend of mine insisted on me watching all the GITS season 1 episodes. Not terribly bad, but it didnt have me shouting with glee. Nor did I cry in emotion when those crabspiders committed suicide to kill... something or other, as my friend did.

And I watched a Hellsing episode once, in TV, because that videoclip that is spinning around made it look interesting. But I didn't like it. At all.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 20, 2010, 11:34:05 am »

I can't really see there being a solution to this because people who like something will continue to like it while people who don't like it will continue to not like it, life moves on.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 21, 2010, 01:06:54 am »

Hi!

I can't really see there being a solution to this because people who like something will continue to like it while people who don't like it will continue to not like it, life moves on.

Yes, I think there should be a live-and-let-live attitude without any mutual attacks. Personally, I got involved, because a question about the fandom was asked and I tried to explain my position - and the rest is standard thread development, I guess :) :) :)

Deathworks

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 21, 2010, 05:09:21 am »

I have a question, are we sure that Deathwork's avatar IS female? I've always assumed it was an immature male cat-thing eating something, or maybe yawning. It doesn't even have boobs, so it can't be both female AND anime.
Uh...
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27