Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26809 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #345 on: June 20, 2010, 01:01:01 am »

Manly men should have manly man avatars. It's a manly mannerism.
But your avatar tells me you're a weeaboo freakish pirate-clown.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 20, 2010, 01:04:41 am »

I don't think the comment was to say "You guys have the wrong avatars" so much as "Dude, why do you have that weird thing?" And while the second suggests the first, one should notice who said you should have MAN avatars. This should tick you off on how serious it was and how far it was to be taken.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 20, 2010, 01:13:20 am »

I don't think the comment was to say "You guys have the wrong avatars" so much as "Dude, why do you have that weird thing?" And while the second suggests the first, one should notice who said you should have MAN avatars. This should tick you off on how serious it was and how far it was to be taken.

Hey. Manly men should have manly avatars. Don't you try to manipulate my maniacal devotion to manliness with such a mangy maneuver.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 20, 2010, 01:24:52 am »

In response to Realmfighter and Mr Wiggles. You can use whatever you want within the terms of agreement, but we still want to know why other than "We can." Toony does what he does out of fond appreciation of the character, so that would be something I would accept.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 20, 2010, 01:28:25 am »

I use my avatar because its my personal seal.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 20, 2010, 01:47:15 am »

Hi!

How is it like that at all?  What's controversial about the fact that anime as a whole sucks, with relatively few exceptions?

Well, for one thing, how do you define anime as a whole? The things that run on tv at your locale? The things you can buy in your local stores? The entire anime production in Japan?

As I already pointed out, there is no single "anime style" or "anime in general". There are many different genres and many different styles. Of course, if you want to debate on the same level as "What's controversial about the fact that novels as a whole suck, with relatively few exceptions?", I guess you are at least coherent but in my opinion oversimplifying the world.

In response to Realmfighter and Mr Wiggles. You can use whatever you want within the terms of agreement, but we still want to know why other than "We can." Toony does what he does out of fond appreciation of the character, so that would be something I would accept.

There are a few reasons for my using this avatar:
1. It was a very good drawing I made (one of my best), so it qualified as far as quality is concerned (as I don't like avatars to be changed, I needed an avatar I can keep and be happy with.
2. Tama and Miki are two of my original characters I love and the scene in the avatar is from a little story which reminds me of a lot of the things I like about them (and which also has additional meanings for me better not discussed here :) :) :) ).
3. Since I do some drawing (although not as much lately), I figured it would be reasonable to use a drawing of my own for an avatar. And I don't draw guys if I can help it (since I can freely choose my subjects, I prefer to draw the things I like to look at).

Truth be told, I am sometimes a bit worried/distressed when I notice that someone thought because of my avatar and maybe my style of posting that I was female. It is definitely not my intention to pretend thus, and while I actually don't care about the sex of people on the internet (I usually don't do sexual RPs or anything like that), misleading people like that is not really something I feel comfortable about.

Deathworks

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 20, 2010, 04:32:10 am »

I'm probably sticking with this avatar for the foreseeable future.  Unless some seriously awesome snail based character comes up.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 20, 2010, 04:45:33 am »

Well, for one thing, how do you define anime as a whole?

Like this:

1. It was a very good drawing I made (one of my best), so it qualified as far as quality is concerned (as I don't like avatars to be changed, I needed an avatar I can keep and be happy with.
2. Tama and Miki are two of my original characters I love and the scene in the avatar is from a little story which reminds me of a lot of the things I like about them (and which also has additional meanings for me better not discussed here :) :) :) ).
3. Since I do some drawing (although not as much lately), I figured it would be reasonable to use a drawing of my own for an avatar. And I don't draw guys if I can help it (since I can freely choose my subjects, I prefer to draw the things I like to look at).

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 20, 2010, 04:53:03 am »

Like this:

You know, his third point seems pretty solid. I mean, I like drawing pictures of things I like to look at too.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 20, 2010, 06:00:03 am »

Like this:

You know, his third point seems pretty solid. I mean, I like drawing pictures of things I like to look at too.

So your avatar is anime then?

So with fookerchief definition of anime, I cant see any drawn media isn't anime. Since its based on original characters that someone like.

So Sam Max is anime. Jackrabbit avatar is Anime. Congrats Jackrabbit.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 20, 2010, 06:13:35 am »

I am apathetic about this.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 20, 2010, 06:14:54 am »

Like this:

So your avatar is anime then?

So with fookerchief definition of anime, I cant see any drawn media isn't anime. Since its based on original characters that someone like.

So Sam Max is anime. Jackrabbit avatar is Anime. Congrats Jackrabbit.

I'm pretty sure Foot was describing the general attitude of the fanbase, rather than a strict definition.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 20, 2010, 06:18:16 am »

Even with that considered, it doesn't describe anything unique at all about the anime fan base. Any fan base has it. Its a criticism of fan bases and fandom in general, even this one that Fookercheif services so well.

The illustrated fight with the FB in creative projects can totally be made into an avatar and have a similar bulletin point as Deathworks has.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 06:22:38 am by MrWiggles »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 20, 2010, 06:35:11 am »

What is an an acceptable level to enjoy any media?

Why is it wrong to enjoy media at that level?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 20, 2010, 06:43:54 am »

Because someone you don't even know has an opinion and it's different to yours.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27