Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26814 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #300 on: June 19, 2010, 04:14:07 pm »

I think it's more like watching Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Seven, and Gone With the Wind, then watching 2012, Twilight, and Paul Blart: Mall Cop, and saying (with some justification) that movies suck NOW.

His complaint wasn't that the genre sucked, but rather that it's become derivative and pandering.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 19, 2010, 04:36:59 pm »

His complaint wasn't that the genre sucked, but rather that it's become derivative and pandering.

But what hasn't these days, and it not like all anime follows this trend so its still like complaining about the sameness of mass marketed FPS games while shouting GAAAYYYYY at any game that used more than 3 colors.

And I'll still take the mass marketed anime over reality TV

EDIT:
Actually a better analogy would be the people who whine that all jrpg's are the same but won't play one unless it ends with a number greater than ten.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 04:48:14 pm by kuro_suna »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 19, 2010, 04:49:43 pm »

But what hasn't these days

Woah, never say that. It does nothing to reinforce your point, and it looks like you're agreeing with him.

I really can't get involved in this argument since all I've ever watched is FMA. But I figured I should point that out since a whole bunch of people do it and it really bugs me.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 19, 2010, 04:53:57 pm »

But what hasn't these days, and it not like all anime follows this trend so its still like complaining about the sameness of mass marketed FPS games while shouting GAAAYYYYY at any game that used more than 3 colors.

How is it like that at all?  What's controversial about the fact that anime as a whole sucks, with relatively few exceptions?

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 19, 2010, 04:55:00 pm »

I'll admit that the average anime quality has gone down since exporting it became a gold mine but I stand by my claim that reality tv is mass marketable slop refined to its yellow liquid essence.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 19, 2010, 05:00:48 pm »

How is it like that at all?  What's controversial about the fact that anime as a whole sucks, with relatively few exceptions?

Because your complaining about mass marketing but refuse to acknowledge anything's existence unless a commercial tells you to buy it or you aren't cool.

And I disagree it sucks as a whole, its mediocre as a whole but not every series is going to be as enlightening as ghost in the shell or planetes.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 19, 2010, 05:17:14 pm »

Because your complaining about mass marketing but refuse to acknowledge anything's existence unless a commercial tells you to buy it or you aren't cool.

Who is "you" here?  Did Tim Rogers even talk about mass marketing of anime?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 19, 2010, 05:26:15 pm »

What in the world do you mean the quality has gone down?

Anime, like everything it mostly average and below average. The good stuff has always been scarce. This is true for all medias. Its asinine to ask for it all to be good, as that would become the new average, and start off this asinine complaint.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 19, 2010, 05:27:49 pm »

It's probably an illusion from people only remembering the good shows, making it seem as though the old stuff was all awesome.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 19, 2010, 05:30:17 pm »

It's probably an illusion from people only remembering the good shows, making it seem as though the old stuff was all awesome.
This is probably true for quite a lot of things.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 19, 2010, 05:33:13 pm »

How about the amount of classic worthy anime produced has stayed the same while the amount of fairly good, mediocre and bad works have increased several fold.

EDIT:
Overall my point is that its easy to hate anything if your only going to acknowledge the parts you hate and ignore the rest.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:36:33 pm by kuro_suna »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2010, 05:35:23 pm »

Actually a better analogy would be the people who whine that all jrpg's are the same but won't play one unless it ends with a number greater than ten.
Those dudes have it backwards anyway. You got to play all the games with numbers less than two after then or made before the year 2000.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2010, 05:40:11 pm »

I agree with Ein. It's like people forget that Plan 9 From Outer Space ever existed, and so they get all uppity about how much they hate modern cinema, even though 2008 and 2009 were great years for the film industry.

It's like this for all forms of media. People have always wanted to decry their generation as the worst.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 19, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »

I think Anime is cool, but like every single medium of entertainment I've seen there is stuff I like in that medium and stuff I don't like.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 19, 2010, 05:46:58 pm »

Great thing about movies is that the horrible B Movies are fun because they're so horrible.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27