Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26828 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2010, 10:35:19 am »

They also have more movement points than most units and I'm pretty sure they don't receive defensive bonuses. In fact, I think knights upgrade into tanks. QED

Just like real life! :D

Well...considering that the US 1st Cavalry is primarily an armor unit now, and the British 1st Cavalry Division became the 10th Armoured Division, it's not *that* much of a stretch.

As to Japanophilia....Japan's a neat culture. I think it's appealing to many because it's exotic and yet probably one of the most accessible "Asian" cultures for a Westerner. Up until the last decade or two, Japan was the tech-savvy Asia with a f**ked-up pop culture, while the rest of Asia seemed to be an amorphous collection of rice paddies and old, but ultimately stale pop culture. At least to the West.

Japan has always interested me as a sort of living social experiment. If there's one thing they do well, it's syncretism. They pick up bits and pieces of other cultures, adapt them, and make them their own. Which is much the same thing that America has historically been good at. Which may be part of why they've historically been fascinated with American culture, and why at least a subset of Americans is fascinated with Japanese culture. And both sides ususally adopt things completely out of context. Hilarity ensues.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2010, 12:33:47 pm »

Remember 60 years ago? Neither do it. I don't think your nation's history would affect how you feel about a country THAT much, as you've been surrounded with, well, what you've been surrounded with. If there's a less "shaped like itself" way of saying it, please do.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2010, 12:38:32 pm »

Those breastplates were pistol-proof, so I highly doubt it.

Rule of thumb is that rifles have a much higher muzzle velocity than pistols.  I believe that goes double for black powder, which burns slowly.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2010, 12:41:42 pm »

Yeah, muskets could pierce them, sure. Bows and arrows were weaker than pistols, though.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2010, 12:48:18 pm »

Oh.  Somehow, from what you said, I thought you meant musket-armed Native Americans... I get it now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2010, 12:51:33 pm »

If you want to see a good criticism of Japan in general, I would suggest this: http://kotaku.com/5484581/japan-its-not-funny-anymore
The guy seems seriously fed up at Japan, but his points seem stable enough.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2010, 12:54:26 pm »

As to Japanophilia....Japan's a neat culture.

You believe the culture weaboos worship is the culture of all of japan?

Native Americans could not pierce armor plate.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2010, 12:56:13 pm »

For some reason I read this trying to link the two sentences together again and again.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2010, 01:11:13 pm »

For some reason I read this trying to link the two sentences together again and again.

Weaboo culture isn't Japanese culture because native Americans can't pierce armour plate... Makes sense to me, I'm convinced. :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2010, 02:46:14 pm »

If you want to see a good criticism of Japan in general, I would suggest this: http://kotaku.com/5484581/japan-its-not-funny-anymore

Amusing, but most of those points I just see as cultural incompatibility. I'll give him points on the anime criticism. Hentai seems to be terrifyingly commonplace now, compared to even just ten years ago.

But a lot of it...the ubiquitous smoking, the copycatting, the oddities of cuisine and comedy, the mandatory group celebrations (including mandatory drunkenness), the passive-agression...could all be said for a lot of Asia. I know they're in China. And you can either bitch about it or just shrug and accept it, or even come to embrace it. Once, when ordering a big bowl of chicken soup with some friends, the first ladleful came up with the head. Beak and all. Now there are two (well, three really) possible reactions to this.

1. "OMFGWTFBBQ! What the f**k is wrong with these people?!?! Where's the McDonald's??"
2. "<sigh>. That's China for you. Let me set this aside so we can enjoy the rest of the soup."
3. *crunch* "Anybody got some charsiu sauce for this head?"

There's a natural progression from stage 1 (newbie) to 2 (old hand) to 3 (gone native). Sometimes, people have kind of a backslide from 2 to 1, and it sounds like that's what this guy is going through.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2010, 02:57:03 pm »

As hilarious as the article is, it's not like omnipresent smoking is unique to Japan.  It seems to come up in European countries like France too :/.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 19, 2010, 03:06:42 pm »

The impression I get from that is "I moved to japan and I don't like it that much, FUCK YOU JAPAN!"

I mean, if you don't like smoking, and don't like drinking, and don't like meat then don't goto somewhere where thats a huge part of the culture. Or at least accept that you'll be confronted with these things on a regular basis.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 19, 2010, 03:09:52 pm »

As hilarious as the article is, it's not like omnipresent smoking is unique to Japan.  It seems to come up in European countries like France too :/.

Honestly, as much as Americans are a bunch of unhealthy lardasses, I think we have one of the lowest smoking rates in the industrialized world.
This would seem to support that idea.

The impression I get from that is "I moved to japan and I don't like it that much, FUCK YOU JAPAN!"

I mean, if you don't like smoking, and don't like drinking, and don't like meat then don't goto somewhere where thats a huge part of the culture. Or at least accept that you'll be confronted with these things on a regular basis.
I assume he also wouldn't do well in Texas, based on that.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 19, 2010, 03:56:22 pm »

I can't take that link seriously,

Saying all anime sucks is as retarded is watch a few low budget summer movies and then deciding all movies suck.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:59:11 pm by kuro_suna »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 19, 2010, 04:10:00 pm »

Honestly, as much as Americans are a bunch of unhealthy lardasses, I think we have one of the lowest smoking rates in the industrialized world.
This would seem to support that idea.
I didn't actually mention America, since I've only been there for all of 6 hours at an airport.  All I remember is some sniffer dog going for our bag (apparently because we once spilled orange juice in it).
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27