Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26899 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2010, 07:04:21 am »

Even as I typed it, it didn't seem to fit together as well as when I thought about it. Perhaps I should say the bottom line is there's a correlation, but not necessarily a causation.

I've known these people, I've hung out with these people, and they themselves told me their mental problems. Aside from Chibi and the girl at the kennel, I've had close-up views of their lives. Some is tragic, some is their own damn fault, and some were herded into how they act now. Both with me and others at the kennel, she'll occasionally ramble on about her favorite shows, though she didn't say anything about manga.

Ew, I made myself sound like a bigot. I apologize for that and take responsibility, I just needed to vent a little. I really try my best to be tolerant of others, and I don't have much against anime as a hobby, or other denominations I have mentioned so much as I just can't stand when people take it to extremes, and then bother others about it who don't necessarily want to hear it.

I'll take three other examples to try to make up for it. Say someone is interested in MTG/DF/Baseball, just as examples. It's alright to me to mention it if I don't like it, and I'll probably say that I'm not interested in the example, but it will bug me to hell to have someone ramble on about how their deck is superior to their friends, that their fort is doing ___ (to someone who wouldn't know what they're being told anyway), or how their sports teams are vastly better then the local rivals. Perhaps the blatancy/obsession part gets to me?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 13, 2010, 07:52:14 am »

Unfortunatly the vast majority of people you meet in life aren't going to share all your interests. But you're still going to have to talk to them, especially when you work together. The other option is to just alienate everyone you meet by refusing to even humour them talking about something you don't care about.

Besides, if all you ever talked about was stuff that you allready enjoy, you'd never experience anything new.

Also bear in mind that it goes both ways. Many people don't give a crap about what you interests are. The decent ones will still listen to you talk about it.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 13, 2010, 09:29:00 am »

If taken black and white, that'd be the case. Perhaps "Gee I just love knitting. DO you like to knit? With all the different colors and patterns, it's just oodles of fun!" is a better example. I love people who talk about an interesting subject, but it has to be interesting lol. The annoying ones would say something more like "I can't believe how rediculously good I am at knitting! My creations are so much better than Jimmy's. Oh who's Jimmy? He's this guy..."
While talking to AJ:

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2010, 09:54:28 am »

Yeah... Welcome to interacting with other human beings.

I once worked with a group of women who had literaly nothing in their lives to talk about besides their kids. This isn't at all uncommon. Every day you get treated to the new thing their kid is doing "last night he had this geography project to do" etc.

You can either go "this doesn't interest me and I demand we talk about video games because that is what I enjoy" or you can smile nod and try to mvoe the conversation to something you have in common.

Constantly bragging about how good you are at something is different from just talking about boring stuff, which is what you were saying originally though. Some people are just assholes. You can either quit your job (though EVERYWHERE you work in your life will have at least one asshole) or deal with it.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2010, 01:34:07 pm »

I go to a university full of engineers. You learn to talk to people without any social skills. The trick is not to even bother talking. Just nod at the right moments and hope to god your bus arrives soon and you can finally be rid of the guy.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 13, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »

Wow, this thread has gone interesting places.

In other news, I always thought anime looked like a rather degenerate version of old Disney cartoons.  Perhaps not surprising, considering quite a lot of Disney animators were Japanese (and maybe brought the artstyle back with them?  I dunno.  Footkerchief, are you there...?).

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2010, 02:36:21 pm »

Is it that hard to do a simple google search?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_anime

TL;DR Anime, not in it's current form obviously, existed long before disney - as Japanese artists fucked around with simple animation as they saw that existed in the west far back as 1910s.

Then Japan did not have the money or resources to create stuff like Disney did, and since Disney was so popular animation techniques were modeled after it. (See Toyota copying everything by GM and German automakers in the 80s while GM laughed in their faces and allowed Toyota engineers and managers to study their business practices - less than 2 decades later Toyota was outselling GM vehicles)

Anyhow, anime nerds are totally tame compared to other fandoms (I don't go to anime cons anymore though as they irritate me). As cool as you guys are I don't know if I'd want hundreds of DF enthusiasts gathered in the same building. But hey, it's easier to make fun of other people and assume superiority.

EDIT:
it became a gateway for all the schizophrenics, fetishists, manic-depressed, and otherwise mentally/socially unstable kids. Perhaps they were just too open with their tolerance, but it quickly became overrun with the larpers, the furries, the wiccans, the jailhouse bisexuals, and the generally socially inept.
HAVE YOU SEEN THE PEOPLE YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY ON THIS WEBSITE? /subtlety
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:50:33 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2010, 02:45:06 pm »

As Deathworks already pointed out, Disney was a large source of inspiration for magna and anime when it was starting.

You'll find those without social skills in other forms of fandom and none fandom life. Sci Fi fans are suppose to be wholly social unequipped, as are Role players or gearheads, or mathematicians or stand up comedians, or sport fans or ect...

There are some things true for some fandom. Like incorporating japanese words into your vernacular for Otakus. Not having kids in Sci Fi fandom. ect.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »

As someone who use to be, and is still kinda into Anime and Japanese stuff its just that the culture is so different. It's exotic, the art is interesting, the women are beautiful.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 13, 2010, 03:03:05 pm »

In other news, I always thought anime looked like a rather degenerate version of old Disney cartoons.  Perhaps not surprising, considering quite a lot of Disney animators were Japanese (and maybe brought the artstyle back with them?  I dunno.  Footkerchief, are you there...?).

I don't think any of Disney's artists were Japanese? Not when he was alive at least, maybe post 1970s?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 13, 2010, 03:06:03 pm »

As someone who use to be, and is still kinda into Anime and Japanese stuff its just that the culture is so different. It's exotic, the art is interesting, the women are beautiful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 13, 2010, 03:27:09 pm »

I don't think any of Disney's artists were Japanese? Not when he was alive at least, maybe post 1970s?

They probably outsourced the bulk of the animation and the people on the credits were were only the key framers. I think most North American animation was done in Japan and later South Korea.
Currently though not much is outsourced since computer tools eliminate the need for most of the grunt work.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:30:13 pm by kuro_suna »

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2010, 03:29:49 pm »

People on this website
Yeah there are some cringe moments, I do try my best to ignore them. I even give myself cringe moments (like just about anything I've said so far in this thread). Aside from one cute-turned-eerily provacative fan artist, I'd hope there's little to no fetishism or sexuality revolved around DF. (Really, I really hope there isn't)
While talking to AJ:

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 13, 2010, 03:40:10 pm »

People on this website
Yeah there are some cringe moments, I do try my best to ignore them. I even give myself cringe moments (like just about anything I've said so far in this thread). Aside from one cute-turned-eerily provacative fan artist, I'd hope there's little to no fetishism or sexuality revolved around DF. (Really, I really hope there isn't)

Why?

Because: OH NOES SOMEONE WITH DIFFERENT PROCLIVITIES?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2010, 03:40:31 pm »

People on this website
Cutebolds?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27