Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26956 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2010, 07:12:31 am »

You know, the only people seriously into Manga and stuff like that that I know (save two) wear it like a badge of honor, and are horribly obnoxious about it. It's incredibly annoying, a sentiment I'm sure has been shared by many people over the course of this thread.

Perhaps the same reason many people dislike the 'other' group of sexual deviants who can't stop defending why it's okay to do it.

(This thread is going places, have we built a surplus of venting lately?)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2010, 08:39:34 am »

You know, the only people seriously into Manga and stuff like that that I know (save two) wear it like a badge of honor, and are horribly obnoxious about it. It's incredibly annoying, a sentiment I'm sure has been shared by many people over the course of this thread.

Perhaps the same reason many people dislike the 'other' group of sexual deviants who can't stop defending why it's okay to do it.

(This thread is going places, have we built a surplus of venting lately?)

The accent. I don't care if you have sex with your dog, just talk like a normal human being if you want me to treat you like one.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2010, 09:14:21 am »

Hmmm, I thought of writing long and elaborated message trying to explaing the cause of Pathos' frustration.

But I think that Deathworks' last post pretty much sums it: over-generalizations.
There has also been some other quite posts explaining some aspects of this "problem".
I too would like to say that it seems to me that anime more known to majority of people are for the most of the time just this - a mainstream, bland, commercialized type of anime. The same goes for manga.

As for fucked-up culture and mistreatment of women - maybe Pathos could elaborate this a bit more, since he says he knows much about politics, society etc?

But then again, I too watch anime so my opinion could be biased. Althoug I find zealous katan pampering and japanese words usage in everyday's conversations a bit...silly.

Also: I was SURE it was the Road Warrior that stole ideas from Hokuto no Ken...for some reason, I believed this movie was from 1986 or so.  :P
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2010, 09:51:37 am »

But I think that Deathworks' last post pretty much sums it: over-generalizations.
There has also been some other quite posts explaining some aspects of this "problem".
I too would like to say that it seems to me that anime more known to majority of people are for the most of the time just this - a mainstream, bland, commercialized type of anime. The same goes for manga.

The typical redistributor isn't going to spend a significant amount of time looking at depth and power, only what is imediately obvious can be relied upon not to trip up far away from japan. So either the most popular, or the simplest works are transferred.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2010, 09:55:42 am »

Hi!

Smigenboger: This thread really gets around. I mean, Nikov's latest comment even comes close to the terrain of furries, which is surprising, given that furries seem to be extremely rare in Japan....

Sinistar: Did you have to mention that "classic" of shounen anime/manga (Hokuto no Ken). I only saw a video game based on it at a friend's place in Japanese, and the stupid macho phrases in it made my skin crawl....

MrWiggles actually expanded a bit on the other fandoms who also have extremist subgroups. While at work, I remembered things like Star Wars fans vs. Star Trek fans, or Warhammer 40K fans. I have a mild example where they didn't cross the line, but everyone was nervous about it happening on an adult board I frequent: In the subsection of one of the reknown artists, a person started a thread wondering how Space Marines would fare in the fantasy world that artist uses as his setting: That fantasy world is an original world of magic and gigantic monster girls used for drawings and stories, thus not having any game mechanics or any stats you could actually base the evaluation on. Yet, people argued, sometimes even strongly, for the perseverence of the Marines (I personally kept things simple stating basically: 1. Space Marines are not cute. 2. The local inhabitants are cute. 3. In my fantasies, cuteness always wins. 4. Thus, the Marines have no chance in my eyes. Somehow, my argument was not really convincing them, though :) :) :) )

I think, there are fans that go overboard in any fandom, and anime and manga only seem special as the main stream commercial planners in Europe and the US have declared it the current boom: More activity means more profile and also more participants.

----------------------------------------

Anyhow, I had hoped to see some opinions on the nature of manga, and thus withheld what I know. But I guess I should come clear.
Mind you, in the following, I am talking only about shounen and shoujo manga, thus leaving out things like lady comics, and I also need to point out that there are subgenres that may drift very far from the main stream. However, if you stay away from some subgenres, the information that follows is somewhat accurate about those two manga types which still dominate the market:

Shounen manga, in their classic form, are about challenges and beating challenges. The usually young male protagonist is confronted with some kind of challenge, beats it and then may meet the next challenge. Mind you, over the years, the outside circumstances may change a bit, but that idea of conflict and winning is basically universally there. The challenge can be a physical fight (e.g. Dragon Ball), it can be mentally (e.g. Meitantei Conan), it can be sports (sorry, don't know any titles), or whatever. Even the professional manga sometimes mentioned in the media often fall into that category.
A relatively common phenomenon with shounen manga is that they become open-ended and endless (e.g. Dragon Ball) - after all, the core idea is that of a repetition of challenges of increasing difficulty, so you just need to conjure up a new foe to start the whole thing anew. Mind you, there are those manga that do not turn cyclic, but there is a very strong tendency towards it. And there are several, as far as I know, that have reached 3 digit volume numbers (^_^;;

Shoujo manga, in their classic form, are about love stories, usually from the perspective of a young female character. Over 90% of shoujo manga tell stories about school yard love, usually first love scenarios where the plot is around the female protagonist finding the courage to tell the boy she loves about her feelings. That scene and his accepting her as his girl friend is usually the end of many of the manga, although there is some variation to that. While the horror manga, which for the most part are published in shoujo magazines completely ignore that rule, sports shoujo manga (e.g. Attack No. 1) as well as magical girl manga (e.g. Sailormoon) usually stick to that pattern. It is no surprise that Sailormoon ends with a marriage.
Given the nature of the central plot, cyclic shoujo manga are very rare. Usually, a shoujo manga story is just a part of a book (less than 200 pages) or maybe 2 to 4 books long. Sailormoon  with its 18 volumes is a rare exception, beaten only by a few things like the unfinished Glass Mask (I don't know how many volumes, I only know it from rumors, including that the author has gone insane in the meantime) or Tokimeki Tonight (30 + 1 volumes without actually getting cyclic; instead we have changing main characters - first a female heroine, then a story about her boy friend, then her younger brother, and finally her daughter).

Mind you, there is variation as to how much the core principle is fronted. For instance, there is a strain of love comedy manga in shounen manga, which have a central love plot at their heart (e.g. Mamotte Shugogetten!) and minimize the challenge aspect, thus moving closely to the more episodic and somewhat stagnant love comedies in shoujo manga (e.g. Akumade Rabukome). So, you may actually find manga that really leave those core principles, but they are extremely rare and often become a complete independent subgenre by themselves.

As I pointed out, the horror manga form a special subgenre which usually stays independent of either shounen or shoujo manga and concentrates on the horror story narration, although the coloring somewhat changes depending on which kind of magazine it was published in (but probably not much, as the horror manga within the shoujo manga are also pretty nasty and not often about love).

With these basics in mind, I want to stay true to my word and confess how I fit in with that. For various reasons, I have a somewhat peculiar psychological makeup. As part of that, I feel the need to have fictional characters whom I can sympathize with. After feeling sorry for the main character in the novels of Hohlbein's Enwor, I finally came across shoujo manga and found that I could sympathize very well with those girls, who are insecure and do not dare put their feelings into words for fear of being rejected by the boy. The manga focused on their feelings and thoughts and thus were exactly the diet I was looking for. And thus, I began taking an active interest in shoujo manga.

For completeness sake, I have to admit that Japanese popular culture eventually also invaded and dominated my sexual fantasies, but these two aspects are NOT related for me - the shoujo manga are there to sooth my soul, and my carnal needs by other manga and video games.

Deathworks

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2010, 10:59:40 am »

The typical redistributor isn't going to spend a significant amount of time looking at depth and power, only what is imediately obvious can be relied upon not to trip up far away from japan. So either the most popular, or the simplest works are transferred.
Yes, this was indeed what I had in mind but seems like I was a bit unclear.

As for HnK, Deathworks - I cannot say for videogame, since I never saw even a frame from it, but anime did not seem as much of a "macho" as "manly". But of course, we could debate on the diference between these two definitions. :P
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2010, 02:36:33 pm »

Hi!

:) :) :) :)

Sinistar: I think it is obvious that if we debated about concepts like "manly", it wouldn't end happy. So I suggest we leave it at that I don't like HnK. However, I want to add a little correction, because "macho" was actually used because I couldn't remember the word I wanted to use. But I have it now: The lines they uttered seemed horribly corny to me.

I used the word "macho" only because I associate machos with such corny lines, but I actually didn't like that gap filler myself. Sorry about the confusion.

But as I said, I consider it shounen manga heartland, and that is no realm I want to treat. So, I stay with my romantic school yard love stories and those who enjoy manly men stick with their manly men and we are all happy.

:) :) :)

Deathworks

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2010, 02:48:56 pm »

[offtopic]I am also an avid fan of GALS!, which is pretty much a shonen manga. And I could find more.[/offtopic]
Ahem.
Now let us pretend we are still talking about how childish DBZ is while I promptly make my escape.
 *hides*
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:51:30 pm by Sinistar »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2010, 03:12:02 pm »

Hi!

I think love is still a central theme in GALS!, but I am not 100% sure, as it is one series I have sitting on my shelves and not quite finished. However, the things I described were the really strong tendencies in the mainstream of these two types. For instance, you also have the psycho manga like Higurashi no naku koro ni, which do not really fit into any of these two categories.

Anyhow, the important thing is that not all manga/anime are the same (not all stories of school yard love include samurai and katana, for instance :) :) :) ).

Your comment about DBZ actually reminds me of a pen & paper RPG I bought in Japan. "Tokumei Tenkousei - Secret Students in the Academic Armageddon" (That is the original Japanese title, the main title written in Kanji, of course (^_^;;) It has a quest based concept you might compare to the American tv series "21 Jump Street" - only that the problems are supernatural and secret in nature and the characters are students from special schools which determine their class and which are based on concept of popular culture (so, you have a military school, a Chinese school, a classic Japanese (ninja) school, a magical girl school, a mutant school, a magician school, a gang leader school ,... ). My favorite among the schools is the IT Academy which is in itself a big scam as all pupils there are androids which are used by the AI to study human behavior and human life. And among the gadgets (=equipment) characters from that school may have are also shounen and shoujo manga:

Shounen manga: IT Academy school book. Used to learn about the hearts of children.
Shoujo manga: IT Academy school book. Used to study the love between men and women. It may happen that female shape robots copy the behavior of people featured in these manga.

So, you are not the only one who thinks DBZ is childish. Enterbrain agrees :) :)

:) :) :) :)

Deathworks

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2010, 03:16:52 pm »

Damn, the whole GD section has exploded in arguments, rants, and general willy-waving. It's quite entertaining.
While talking to AJ:

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2010, 03:34:46 pm »

Hi!

:(

I didn't really mean to rant. I am sorry you understood it as that (I tried to keep away from the things I dislike as much as possible).

Deathworks

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2010, 03:36:24 pm »

Oh no you're not ranting, if anything you're trying your best to diffuse and enlighten. It's safe to say almost nothing will stop this recent explosion of opinion.
While talking to AJ:

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2010, 04:29:23 pm »

1. Space Marines are not cute. 2. The local inhabitants are cute. 3. In my fantasies, cuteness always wins. 4. Thus, the Marines have no chance in my eyes.

Creepy.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2010, 04:39:35 pm »

somehow, having only read that quote i imagined it was referring to avatar... after reading the original in context, i'm still not sure it is not referring to avatar.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2010, 04:50:24 pm »

I'll refer to Avatar...

This "Fascination" isn't that amazing when you realize that Japan imported the culture from America, made it their own, and then exported it back to America, whom are in the process of making it their own before sending it back.

It isn't "pretty damn alien culture". It's a process of cultural exchange.

So of course it is embraced, because it is ours, as much as it is theirs.

(And I'm talking about Arrows, not Furries.)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27