Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26872 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2010, 12:30:05 pm »

i enjoy scimitars and falcatas, i'm much more into ancient warfare than medieval. Also, a hoplite would take a knight and a samurai any day!
Spanish Tercio > Swiss pikemen > Greek phalanx.
Ah, the Internet, where thumbing through the GameFAQs description of Medieval: Total War units is the equivalent of an Associate Degree in military history.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pathos

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:14 pm »

I disagree on the weapon point. Our knives were unable to pierce the armor of the heavily armored knight also. The katana has it's charmes due to it's extremely light weight and manouvrability while retaining a top strength. It is really remarkable how light they really are.
Before you ask, I have katana's and medievil onehanders. the katana's win by far. Certainly with the fighting skills the samurai had next to them. I honestly believe that a trained samurai would win from a trained knight.

Yeah, guys, I also have lots of replica weapons and my aluminium katana wins out because I've went up against a knight in full body armour and WON lol.

See, this is the prime example of "I DONT HAVE A CLUE". He says knives can't go through full body armour (???), samurais would win (despite being in seriously inferior equipment, and POTENTIALLY just being trained thugs - depending on what Japanese period we're talking about, of course) and that katanas have a good strength.

Buying aluminium katanas and then claiming that they'd win out against Western weaponry isn't good, k guys?

I have a broad dislike of curved swords with the sole exception of the cavalry saber. Against armored targets, they absolutely suck.

Cavalry sabres WERE designed to chop, though, and not cut. Similar weapons (the "scimitar" vein of things) were also designed for the chopping.

Damascus/Toledo steel and thousand-fold blades have exactly one thing in common - neither of them existed.  They were stories made up by medieval smiths to sell their shit.

But... They did. Maybe not thousand fold blades (they just don't make much sense) but damascus and toledo steel certainly did.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2010, 12:35:43 pm »

Well, when I was a child, we were bombarded with perverts in tights and talking animals, so every generation has its "flavor"... Does that help?

if it bothered you, you had all the right to complain.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2010, 12:41:30 pm »

i enjoy scimitars and falcatas, i'm much more into ancient warfare than medieval. Also, a hoplite would take a knight and a samurai any day!
Ah, the Internet, where thumbing through the GameFAQs description of Medieval: Total War units is the equivalent of an Associate Degree in military history.
If you doubt my expertise, good sir, I'll gladly humble you on the battlefield. Aventuros, Musketeers, Jinettes, Ribaults and Basilisks against whatever you want to field.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2010, 12:45:13 pm »

Hi!

if it bothered you, you had all the right to complain.
:) :) :)
I turned to manga and anime in response :) At first without knowing it, but later with deliberation never looking back again.

(despite being in seriously inferior equipment, and POTENTIALLY just being trained thugs - depending on what Japanese period we're talking about, of course)

I take it you were very lenient there. I mean, if you talked about 19th century samurai, I think the trained thugs would win out in a fight against those samurai in 8 of 10 - their samurai status saying as much about them as Elton John's knight status (he is a knight, right?) (^_^;;

Deathworks

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2010, 12:46:39 pm »

If you doubt my expertise, good sir, I'll gladly humble you on the battlefield. Aventuros, Musketeers, Jinettes, Ribaults and Basilisks against whatever you want to field.

Say that again?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2010, 12:48:16 pm »

a gigantic blob of vomit with wings, beware it's venomous breath.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2010, 12:50:00 pm »

Yes, I'll even take on Timurids. Florin for florin, Jinettes should slaughter elephants.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2010, 12:54:30 pm »

Back on topic, my sister is deeply into anime/manga/games and more recently Tokusatsu shows (live action special effects, like Kamen Rider).
She spent enough time around Japanese stuff that she actually taught herself to read Japanese fairly fluently, and she can read/watch some things untranslated while catching most of the dialogue. This is despite never being to Japan or having any exposure outside of media.
Thing is, she's actually not crazy. She never went through a KAWAII DESU stage. She tends to complain when translators leave things untranslated when there's an English equivilent that sounds much less awkward.

Having been exposed to it myself, I have to agree on the "don't like the artstyle" thing being a fairly empty comment. There's an insane amount of variety in artstyle, at least in manga.
Compare:
Medarotter Rintarou (Children's adventure with robots)
Uzumaki (Surreal horror)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Bizarre)

My sister loves the first (Rintarou), I love the second (Uzumaki). Both are mainstream manga, but I don't think anyone would argue they have the same artstyle.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2010, 01:41:53 pm »

Japanese women.
thats it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »

Hi!

Well, when I was a child, we were bombarded with perverts in tights and talking animals, so every generation has its "flavor"... Does that help?

Deathworks

surely you loved being bombarded by adam west and the muppets

where in the world is bombarded by anime? It was rather popular on citv and cartoon network back when pokemon whats a hit, but i dont see much off it other than on anime or manga internet sites.

I like manga and anime, well at least some of it. Not because they are Japanese, but because they have a different set of cultraul restrictions from western cartoons/animation, and can consider adults a legimiate ordiance, and thus be written at an adult level. I dont feel that the majority of western comics are wirtten for adults (exceptions such as sin city do exist).
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2010, 01:50:50 pm »

American comics, maybe. Try Italian and French stuff sometimes.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2010, 01:55:30 pm »

enki bilal is a name to respect

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2010, 02:18:56 pm »

of corse all katana were made from Tamahagane ("the best metal") useing the "best"way all the time?
i think not .
just rember that if a from the 1600's katana has lasted to today then it is a savior, not a normal blade.

if you get me a team of Vikings i will fight these Samurai

back to topic
anime/manga it is a diffent artistic style no more no less.
yes it will be a bit odd when you start to read it some times the work it self does not help.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2010, 02:35:48 pm »

Hi!

Actually, manga and anime are not only a set of different styles (see DeKaFu's post for some examples to show that there is no single "manga style"). When Tezuka Osamu created modern shounen and shoujo manga, he actually also defined various aspects of the visual language (a lot of cinematic items since the man dreamed of becoming a film director) but also about the content and central themes. And Japanese shoujo and shounen manga have been true to these central themes to this very day. I will go into details on that tomorrow (I have to get some sleep and I also hope that people answer the question from my first post :) :) ).

De5me7: You simply had to combine the two things I complained about, hadn't you?
:) :) :) :)

Mishy: I think you should get a better spam filter. The spam seems to be getting to you (^_^;;

DeKaFu: Thanks for providing some better examples than my link to Katana. As for tokusatsu shows ....... let's just say that it takes many different people to make a world, and opinions can differ wildly......

Deathworks
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27