Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese  (Read 26878 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand The Obsession With The Japanese
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2010, 03:46:15 pm »

People on this website
Yeah there are some cringe moments, I do try my best to ignore them. I even give myself cringe moments (like just about anything I've said so far in this thread). Aside from one cute-turned-eerily provacative fan artist, I'd hope there's little to no fetishism or sexuality revolved around DF. (Really, I really hope there isn't)
Pretty much every crazy/fetish/social ineptitude you mentioned has been around these forums with multiple examples. Luckily the sexuality posts that go too far get deleted but trust me, they're around here.

Welcome to the internet.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2010, 03:48:21 pm »

In other news, I always thought anime looked like a rather degenerate version of old Disney cartoons.  Perhaps not surprising, considering quite a lot of Disney animators were Japanese (and maybe brought the artstyle back with them?  I dunno.  Footkerchief, are you there...?).

I don't think any of Disney's artists were Japanese? Not when he was alive at least, maybe post 1970s?

They probably outsourced the bulk of the animation and the people on the credits were were only the key framers. I think most North American animation was done in Japan and later South Korea.
Currently though not much is outsourced since computer tools eliminate the need for most of the grunt work.

That's true today, but during WW2? immediatly after WW2? Really?

Stuff is definatly outsourced nowadays, apparently more and more to India which can produce a feature film for significantly cheaper than Asian countries... But back in the 60s?

Women at disney Some random article talking about how disney was revolutionary for hiring women to work as inkers and colourers.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2010, 04:01:35 pm »

In other news, I always thought anime looked like a rather degenerate version of old Disney cartoons.  Perhaps not surprising, considering quite a lot of Disney animators were Japanese (and maybe brought the artstyle back with them?  I dunno.  Footkerchief, are you there...?).

I don't think any of Disney's artists were Japanese? Not when he was alive at least, maybe post 1970s?

They probably outsourced the bulk of the animation and the people on the credits were were only the key framers. I think most North American animation was done in Japan and later South Korea.
Currently though not much is outsourced since computer tools eliminate the need for most of the grunt work.

I only know of one modern cartoon show that didnt outsource the bulk of its animation. That was Foster Home for Imaginary Children. Citation please?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2010, 04:14:56 pm »

I only know of one modern cartoon show that didnt outsource the bulk of its animation. That was Foster Home for Imaginary Children. Citation please?

Well I know South Park isn't outsourced, but that's all animated in flash and they do each episode on a week by week basis to keep up with current events.

Most other cartoons are outsourced though, AFAIK.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2010, 04:22:19 pm »

I forgot about South Park, and they use Mayia 3D to do their animation. Foster was done in Flash.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2010, 04:36:04 pm »

This isn't Wikipedia,
Pretty much any animation done using flash or adobe illustrator will be animated in house since what you could gain no longer justifies the communication and scheduling issues from outsourcing. I don't know how the more expensive animations like movies are done but a TV quality animation can be made by a dozen animators (1 season a year).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2010, 04:54:39 pm »

This isn't Wikipedia,
Pretty much any animation done using flash or adobe illustrator will be animated in house since what you could gain no longer justifies the communication and scheduling issues from outsourcing. I don't know how the more expensive animations like movies are done but a TV quality animation can be made by a dozen animators (1 season a year).

I did some reading. There are a handful of shows done with Flash every year. It seems to in the minority though.

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2010, 05:05:35 pm »

I don't understand the obsession with the Japanese

They have penis and vagina festivals.

What's not to love?

Edit: Huh, fodder for the profanity filter. Automated permaban in 3, 2, 1…

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2010, 05:25:28 pm »

Do you mean flash or computer assisted animation. Flash is in the minority because their are much higher end 2d animation tools made specially for commercial animation.

(Flash is a jack of all trades master of none)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toon_Boom_Animation
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:28:27 pm by kuro_suna »

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2010, 05:34:11 pm »

I disagree on the weapon point. Our knives were unable to pierce the armor of the heavily armored knight also. The katana has it's charmes due to it's extremely light weight and manouvrability while retaining a top strength. It is really remarkable how light they really are.
Before you ask, I have katana's and medievil onehanders. the katana's win by far. Certainly with the fighting skills the samurai had next to them. I honestly believe that a trained samurai would win from a trained knight.

Yeah, guys, I also have lots of replica weapons and my aluminium katana wins out because I've went up against a knight in full body armour and WON lol.

See, this is the prime example of "I DONT HAVE A CLUE". He says knives can't go through full body armour (???), samurais would win (despite being in seriously inferior equipment, and POTENTIALLY just being trained thugs - depending on what Japanese period we're talking about, of course) and that katanas have a good strength.

Buying aluminium katanas and then claiming that they'd win out against Western weaponry isn't good, k guys?
... Whatever, I'm out.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2010, 05:45:39 pm »

Do you mean flash or computer assisted animation. Flash is in the minority because their are much higher end 2d animation tools made specially for commercial animation.

(Flash is a jack of all trades master of none)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toon_Boom_Animation

I took it to mean Flash as in the Adobe Flash.

As for computer assisted animation. Yea. That is de facto standard. There are some notable hold outs. Pixar still has a hand drawn animation department.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2010, 06:21:18 pm »

This isn't Wikipedia,

This isn't wikipedia but all animation is done by time travelling dinosaurs. The intereting thing being they travelled to our time FROM THE FUTURE!?!

Just because it isn't wikipedia doesn't mean you don't ever have to back up your statements. :P

Yeah modern computer technology means you can do an animated series with much much less staff than before. But you're still paying those staff. Why pay American wages when you can pay korean wages? Why pay Korean when you can pay Indian? You still only need to hire a dozen people or so, but you can pay them 50% less and get the same product delivered on the same schedule.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2010, 06:39:25 pm »

Yeah modern computer technology means you can do an animated series with much much less staff than before. But you're still paying those staff. Why pay American wages when you can pay korean wages? Why pay Korean when you can pay Indian? You still only need to hire a dozen people or so, but you can pay them 50% less and get the same product delivered on the same schedule.

Usually its only the jobs that don't require a lot of skill or creativity that get outsourced, for one reason or another if you do it looks like a Chinese knockoff.

http://www.forkparty.com/chinese-superhero-knockoff-fails/

Generally animation studios will do the writing, directing and key framing in house and only outsource the transition frames.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_frame

Basically like any other form of industrial automation it reduced the need for factory floor workers but isn't going to replace the engineers or managers anytime soon.

EDIT:
You get what you pay for and outsourcing isn't a magic bullet
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:45:08 pm by kuro_suna »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2010, 11:21:40 pm »

I disagree on the weapon point. Our knives were unable to pierce the armor of the heavily armored knight also. The katana has it's charmes due to it's extremely light weight and manouvrability while retaining a top strength. It is really remarkable how light they really are.
Before you ask, I have katana's and medievil onehanders. the katana's win by far. Certainly with the fighting skills the samurai had next to them. I honestly believe that a trained samurai would win from a trained knight.

Yeah, guys, I also have lots of replica weapons and my aluminium katana wins out because I've went up against a knight in full body armour and WON lol.

See, this is the prime example of "I DONT HAVE A CLUE". He says knives can't go through full body armour (???), samurais would win (despite being in seriously inferior equipment, and POTENTIALLY just being trained thugs - depending on what Japanese period we're talking about, of course) and that katanas have a good strength.

Buying aluminium katanas and then claiming that they'd win out against Western weaponry isn't good, k guys?
... Whatever, I'm out.

Don't worry about Pathos, he's extremely ignorant about a lot of things.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2010, 01:02:17 am »

Would have been nice if he refuted him though. It's difficult to make it not look like you just didn't know how to respond, although I'm sure it was just sheer frustration.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27