Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 82 (40%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.1%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 2000821 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.02] [V10.1]
« Reply #1350 on: March 04, 2012, 04:29:14 pm »

It's not really an issue with Dwarf Therapist. Assigning a custom profession or nickname doesn't work at all, since the vampire will just ignore it and continue using the fake name. Dwarf Therapist is only guilty of making this more obvious, since those systems are easier to use.

Well, sure, but that's kind of the whole point, isn't it? There are probably other ways of finding out which dwarf is a vampire, if I really wanted to. But the point is that I don't want to find out, not by abusing the game mechanics, anyway.

I don't assign nicknames or custom professions, so that wouldn't be a problem for me (admittedly, it would be nice if that were fixed, too). But since I am using Dwarf Therapist, the fact that it pretty much forces knowledge on me that I'd rather not have is a reasonable concern, don't you think?

It's not a big issue for me. I'd never used Dwarf Therapist before, and I could go back to doing without it again, if it really mattered. But I'd hate to do that, because it's a very nice utility. I just wish it would show me the name a vampire is using, rather than his real name.

Aethios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 04, 2012, 04:33:18 pm »

I just wish it would show me the name a vampire is using, rather than his real name.

That's my point. Either they show you the fake name and you know it's a vampire because you can't change it, or they show you the real name and you know it's a vampire because it doesn't match. It's not Dwarf Therapist's fault. If anything, Toady needs to change the mechanic in-game to make it less obvious.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #1352 on: March 04, 2012, 08:49:22 pm »

That's my point. Either they show you the fake name and you know it's a vampire because you can't change it,...

Yes, I understand that. It's just that I don't change the names of my dwarves, so that wouldn't matter.

Note that I have changed a few of their names, in past games, but I wouldn't do it if it broke the game like that. So, if Dwarf Therapist showed me the fake name, that would solve my problem right there.

Thanks for the reply.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 04, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »

Yeah....03....
I get the idea guys!  :P
Same deal as always. Will have to wait for a few things to update. Yes, I know Mayday and Phoebus are updated.

Therapist thread says it's up to date as well.

I've never posted on these boards.  I've only just registered today to ask you charmers to be patient, or at least polite.  It's like you're at a bar asking the swamped bar tender for another drink, only you don't get it right away, so you say, "...drink... drink."  Once you get the drink you wont even tip to be sure.

That is all.

A few days late and you'll probably never see it, but hey! I was being patient, I've not even downloaded the pack since .31, just upgraded it myself:p And how was that not polite? He stated 2 had be updated already, so I let him know that therapist had autoupdated as well:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 05, 2012, 12:11:40 pm »

If anything, Toady needs to change the mechanic in-game to make it less obvious.
What? What? What? Bugs in thrid party programs are not Toady problem, period.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Katalliaan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 05, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »

Besides, he's already fixed it in the most current version. You really can't blame your problem on Toady when it's been fixed and the LNP hasn't been updated to reflect that.

kochanneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 06, 2012, 02:59:16 pm »

.05  :D

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 06, 2012, 03:23:16 pm »

And... now it's 0.5
And in two days: 0.6
Half an hour later a gamebreaking bug is found: 0.7
Next day some bug resulting from the fixing of the other bug appears: 0.8

No offense to the great Toad, but I'm gonna wait until there's a update that lasts more than a few days at a time, and would recommend the makers of the LNP and Dwarf TheRapist to do so too.

Freaking hunt for a vampire at its peak, and you try to create a military to patrol the dorms. Using Dwarf TheRapist you rename a set of ten lyemaker to 'fodder', to find them amongs the 80 idiots.
But you can't find one dwarf... Checking all of them on a per-dwarf basis, you find one dwarf with two names. Well, I guess the hunt is over.

On the other hand, when vampire draining someone is witnessed, hilarity ensues:
"You just drained Urist McVictim of his blood!"
"No... It was..."
*looks around*
"THE CAT!!!"

Musaab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 06, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »

A game of this magnitude and complexity is expected to have bugs during its alpha stage. 

You do know that Dwarf Fortress is an alpha, right?  It says so before you begin a game.

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 07, 2012, 03:37:15 am »

Of course it's an alpha, and I hope it will keep that status for quite some time (with the promise of many many improvements and additions), but after restarting a fortress at .02, and getting annoyed at vampires around .04, I'm going to wait until the most severe bugs are gone.

My point is, that the makers of the LNP and Dwarf TheRapist wouldn't be blamed by me if they did the same. Losing a fortress due to a bugfix is one thing, but finding every freaking memory-adress only to do it again tomorrow is well beyond annoying.

jak9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 07, 2012, 04:52:19 am »

just registered to say thanks, couldn't really get into the game intill I found this pack.

Ghizz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 07, 2012, 05:22:43 am »

Is it possible to add in some world gen configurations for the next lazy pack update?
I'm a new player and having trouble finding iron!

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1362 on: March 07, 2012, 06:48:36 am »

Lucas, I've been meaning to ask: does LNP cover things like the pillar tile, min. truetype size?
Are the modified raws copied straight from a given graphics pack? If so, does it copy the whole folder or just specific files?
<3

Amikron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 07, 2012, 01:18:42 pm »

Is it possible to add in some world gen configurations for the next lazy pack update?
I'm a new player and having trouble finding iron!

When searching for a place to embark, make sure to pick surface metals.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 07, 2012, 01:42:01 pm »

And... now it's 0.5
And in two days: 0.6

From the looks of the latest update it sounds like .6 could be quite a while depending how much he wants to debug it before releasing.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 137