Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 82 (40%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.1%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 2000828 times)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.02] [V10.1]
« Reply #1335 on: March 02, 2012, 01:46:05 pm »

Has anyone thought of adding in auto-patching (of the main game) functionality to LNP? theoretically, it shouldn't be difficult to http or ftp request to see if new versions are out, although quite how you'd go about patching I'm not sure. the update savegames functionality might be used as a base....

I'm reasonably busy with my own projects atm, but if there's a need for some specific functionality I might be able to shoehorn something in.

let me know if I can help.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 02, 2012, 04:50:09 pm »

Because archery targets are not working within [0.34.02] I think it's why more people are frequently checking to see if the Lazy Newb Pack has been updated.

I'm using the latest vanilla version of DF and I still can't get them to work, not sure if I'm just doing something wrong but I had them working fine in DF2010 with the exact same setup. Also, do you still need to designate each one as its own room or was that fixed after 40d?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:32:17 am by daveralph1234 »

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 02, 2012, 07:40:22 pm »

Just posting to watch.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 03, 2012, 03:04:26 am »

Has anyone thought of adding in auto-patching (of the main game) functionality to LNP? theoretically, it shouldn't be difficult to http or ftp request to see if new versions are out, although quite how you'd go about patching I'm not sure. the update savegames functionality might be used as a base....

I'm reasonably busy with my own projects atm, but if there's a need for some specific functionality I might be able to shoehorn something in.

let me know if I can help.
This would likely ddos the download server. :P
We *could* technically do that to Dropbox or something, and allow an update whenever the .txt changes... but I don't know most file transfer stuff in VB, though it might already be in...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 03, 2012, 05:17:31 am »

Because archery targets are not working within [0.34.02] I think it's why more people are frequently checking to see if the Lazy Newb Pack has been updated.

I'm using the latest vinilla version of DF and I still can't get them to work, not sure if I'm just doing something wrong but I had them working fine in DF2010 with the exact same setup. Also, do you still need to designate each one as its own room or was that fixed after 40d?

Archery targets work fine in 34.04 now. And yeah, I designated each one to be an own room just to make sure. My marksdwarves are a bit lazy, I never see more than 3-4 of them training at once even though I have put up 10 targets. But judging from the missed bolts I pick up from behind the targets all of them are used eventually. And the xp gain is ok... I had my dwarves from zero to competent within a year or so. And no goblins showed up during that time except for some thieves who got caught in traps, so all experience came from training.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #1340 on: March 03, 2012, 03:02:29 pm »

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this issue, but this is the first time I've used the LNP in Dwarf Fortress mode - therefore, the first time I've used Dwarf Therapist.

Just now, I realized that I've got a mayor, instead of an expedition leader, and that I'd never heard of the dwarf before. As far as I can tell, it turns out that he's called "Kol Athelrigoth" in Dwarf Therapist, but "Ingish Tatmosus" in Dwarf Fortress itself.

In my last batch of migrants, there were three dwarves which showed up in Dwarf Therapist whom I couldn't find in the game itself, although the total number of dwarves matched. I wondered about that, but I forgot about it until this happened. So I'm guessing that there are three dwarves with different names in Dwarf Therapist, compared to DF itself.

I don't know. This just seems really bizarre to me. Is this a known issue? If so, in which program? How could this happen? As far as I can tell, it's not causing any problems, although I blog about my forts, so I just need to keep better notes, I guess.

Anyway, I just thought it was weird, so I thought I'd see what the rest of you had to say about it.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 03, 2012, 03:39:25 pm »

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this issue, but this is the first time I've used the LNP in Dwarf Fortress mode - therefore, the first time I've used Dwarf Therapist.

Just now, I realized that I've got a mayor, instead of an expedition leader, and that I'd never heard of the dwarf before. As far as I can tell, it turns out that he's called "Kol Athelrigoth" in Dwarf Therapist, but "Ingish Tatmosus" in Dwarf Fortress itself.

In my last batch of migrants, there were three dwarves which showed up in Dwarf Therapist whom I couldn't find in the game itself, although the total number of dwarves matched. I wondered about that, but I forgot about it until this happened. So I'm guessing that there are three dwarves with different names in Dwarf Therapist, compared to DF itself.

I don't know. This just seems really bizarre to me. Is this a known issue? If so, in which program? How could this happen? As far as I can tell, it's not causing any problems, although I blog about my forts, so I just need to keep better notes, I guess.

Anyway, I just thought it was weird, so I thought I'd see what the rest of you had to say about it.

Vampires make up fake identities, and thats what you see in game. Therapist dosen't recoignise this and shows you their real names.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #1342 on: March 03, 2012, 05:39:17 pm »

Vampires make up fake identities, and thats what you see in game. Therapist dosen't recoignise this and shows you their real names.

Lovely. Just after I posted that question, a dwarf was found drained of blood, so I suspected that might be the case. Thanks for confirming it.

It's too bad, though, since that might just tempt me to cheat. I'll try to resist, but I wish Dwarf Therapist wouldn't do that.

At any rate, with only 37 adult dwarves - and three of them vampires, including the mayor - I suspect that this fortress won't last long. But we'll see. It should be fun, anyway.

Thanks!

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 03, 2012, 07:00:19 pm »

Is this going to be updated to 0.34.04 any time soon? I tried just dragging the new stuff into the DF folder, but it crashed on launch, and I really don't have the know how on how to get this stuff working.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Musaab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 03, 2012, 07:29:33 pm »

It doesn't look like it.  They are waiting for more releases.

fredrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 03, 2012, 08:36:04 pm »

Is this going to be updated to 0.34.04 any time soon? I tried just dragging the new stuff into the DF folder, but it crashed on launch, and I really don't have the know how on how to get this stuff working.

It's somewhat amazing that people manage to acutally play a complicated game like Dwarf Fortress, but still can't figure out this kind of things.  ;D

Start with downloading and unpacking Dwarf fortress with Phoebus' Graphic Set preinstalled. You'll find it here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2431

Continue by downloading DFHack  here: https://github.com/downloads/peterix/dfhack/dfhack-0.34.04-r1-Windows.zip extract it to the same folder as Phoebus. Owerwrite the SDL.dll file when prompted.

Then download Dwarf Therapist here: http://dwarftherapist.googlecode.com/files/DwarfTherapist-0.6.12.zip It's not updated for .04 when you download it, but it should download som new memory layouts when you run it the first time. If it doesn't you can get them here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.msg3048172#msg3048172 Right click and Save As... in "Dwarf Therapist\etc\memory_layouts\windows"

That should be it, or at least the stuff you need to play...

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 04, 2012, 04:57:41 am »

@fredrol
Yep, except you don't NEED dfhack.

Has anyone thought of adding in auto-patching (of the main game) functionality to LNP?

I don't know how to do that, but I also imagine many complications. In most situations all utilities and graphics etc would have to be updated at the same time. Probably would have to move savegames, delete everything else, then download a new pack in its entirety and put the savegames back in.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Virlomi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 04, 2012, 06:58:55 am »

@LucasUP; Thanks for taking the time to throw together all of the components of Lazy Newb Pack. It's certainly helped me take interest in the game!

I'm looking forward to an updated LNP's DF! :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 04, 2012, 09:10:49 am »

I have a suggestion, mayby you could have the utilities tab not only load .exe and .jar files, but also .bat and .lnk files, for example, i would like to have just embark in the utilities tab, but you have to place it in the dwarf fortress directory, so lnp will not load it.
I discoverd that lnp doesnt load .lnk or .bat files either, so i have to do it manually.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aethios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 04, 2012, 02:06:34 pm »

It's too bad, though, since that might just tempt me to cheat. I'll try to resist, but I wish Dwarf Therapist wouldn't do that.

It's not really an issue with Dwarf Therapist. Assigning a custom profession or nickname doesn't work at all, since the vampire will just ignore it and continue using the fake name. Dwarf Therapist is only guilty of making this more obvious, since those systems are easier to use.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 137