Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 82 (40%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.1%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 2000978 times)

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.16] [V5.2]
« Reply #435 on: November 29, 2010, 05:05:15 pm »

No idea if this has been brought up before but i'm really bugged by the fuckhuge civilizations taking up 1/3 of the map and all of the good spots. Only the newer versions seem to have these monstrous civ's everywhere.

My questions:
Is this a bug or intended?
Can they be changed back into their previous, smaller versions?
Why does my cat love the smell of earwax?

That is all, thanks in advance.

No
No
???
Profit

Anyways, civilization sprawl is about to get extremely important, so no, don't turn it down. Just gen a world with like 200-300 years of history and it will cut down the civilizations.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 29, 2010, 11:16:02 pm »

Nothing personal, but are you updating the package at all before the next release?

CrispyDuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 30, 2010, 03:07:49 pm »

No
No
???
Profit

Anyways, civilization sprawl is about to get extremely important, so no, don't turn it down. Just gen a world with like 200-300 years of history and it will cut down the civilizations.

That seems to be the only solution. Thanks for the answer, time to let some civilizations die out.
Still really curious about that third question though.

bloodsuckern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 30, 2010, 03:37:23 pm »

ey guys im new to this whole Dwarf fortress thing. but i was given a link to this mod/etc and i downloaded it. and i find all these weird things inside and ive found the Exe. to the game i started it. buuut fullscreen isnt there and i have no idea what to move to where and to what folder and what folders i should move to do anything! please help

Actually, wiki is a great source of information, and you should see this first: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tutorials

As for the newb pack, it has a .bat file in its main directory. Run it and choose "p". When the game starts choose "Create Nwe World With Advanced Parameters", "Lazy Newb World", and after that "Play Dwarf Fortress". This should work more or less, but I really recommend, that you at least read a tutorial on embarking.

EDIT: Oh, and about the pack. It is convenient to have it all in one place, but I mostly need DF, Therapist, and maybe some DFhack tools, I haven't tested more. I suppose, I can just grab Phobeus graphic pack with game included, therapist, and whatever tools I need by myself, but having it all in one place (or at least links to new versions) is prefferable.

What part of resulotion 400x400 wont get larger in fullscreen DONT YOU UNDERSTAND

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 30, 2010, 07:26:00 pm »

Sorry for not updates at all guys.
Last week of school here. Hectic.
Once this week is over I'll try to get things up to speed and perhaps in the new format.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

jetrian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
well...
« Reply #440 on: December 01, 2010, 05:12:53 pm »

hmm I know the most of you will start to shoot at me, but i have a question.. and which the best place if not this one...I am getting mad.Ok, i got that long tutorial which pointed here, but...How the HELL can i plant a seed? I've read somewhere that i need to water the caves.. HOW THE HELL? :P I don't want to be tedious.. but could anyone tell me how to make a farm?I am becoming mad from it.. did uncountable planets, regions, tried at least 12 fortresses but with no avail.. what can i do?In that tutorial, the guy just digs the cavern, design farm area and plant! I cannot do it, why??

ra2phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 01, 2010, 05:26:49 pm »

Unless it's a muddy cavern floor, if you dig out an area for farming you have to irrigate it first.  If any amount of water ever touches the ground tile, it is considered muddy/irrigated.  Common methods include leaving a gap above it in the floor above and designating a pond zone (zones, pit/pond, P I think to toggle it to pond (not full) at which point dwarves will grab buckets and fill it from any other available water source, delete the zone when you've gotten most of it damp), or draining pools into it (dig out the desired farm area first, then breach the damp wall and let the pool flood it - make sure there is an outlet for the water or your area is large enough for it to fill to 1 deep then evaporate).

Aboveground, most ground can be made into a farm if it doesn't have bushes or trees on it.

Note: the actual ground under the murky pools cannot be planted on, even if you drain the pools.

Emiteal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://emperial.deviantart.com
« Reply #442 on: December 02, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »

Also don't forget that once you've built the farm, you still need to go turn on the plants you want planted for all applicable seasons, and have seeds. Certain plants only grow underground in the dark (these are generally the seeds you bring with you at embark) and others only grow outside in the sunlight (get seeds by trading or processing plants gathered outside).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:41:13 pm by Emiteal »

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 03, 2010, 05:13:59 am »

I doubt there will be a new release of Lazy Newb Pack until dfhack is updated. (Only a partial update so far...) But we'll just have to be patient.

That said, I do feel the wait because I'm brand new to DF and I wanted to start my experience with the Lazy Newb Pack and the latest DF release. (I've read a few horror stories about updating 0.31.16 saves to 0.31.17 and later.) So my choice was to either settle for the 0.31.16 newb pack, or use 0.31.18 and learn manual installation of graphics and mods myself.

I'm trying to go with the latter, but the learning curve can be hard... Combined with the learning curve of DF itself, it took me over a week of watching tutorials and reading forum threads and understanding installation instructions. Just saying, in case there are other newbies like myself who are tempted to try to do it the hard way.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:23:12 am by bsperan »

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 03, 2010, 06:43:38 am »

I'd be willing to be on a "team" of people that creats LazyNewb packs if someone can show me how to do it one time (Mostly create the .bat file unless that's already just a download too)

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 03, 2010, 11:37:25 pm »

Mmm I skimmed most of this; but you guys are saying that since I just took 31.18, copied over 31.16, over everything; and then used the lazy newb settings to replace my graphics; that i may of ruined my game?

otherwise i don't see what the problem is...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 04, 2010, 02:17:18 am »

Mmm I skimmed most of this; but you guys are saying that since I just took 31.18, copied over 31.16, over everything; and then used the lazy newb settings to replace my graphics; that i may of ruined my game?

otherwise i don't see what the problem is...
The problem is that it's supposed to be super easy. Once you start expecting lazy newbs to do one or two little things, it's just a small step until you're asking them to do all the little things, and then you may as well not do this in the first place.

Maugrimmau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 04, 2010, 04:45:00 am »

I'd be willing to be on a "team" of people that creats LazyNewb packs if someone can show me how to do it one time (Mostly create the .bat file unless that's already just a download too)

Actually, that gives me a good idea.

If, somewhere in the OP (in a spoiler tag), LucasUP could add full instructions for putting the LNP together, then impatient newbs could DIY with confidence, while helpful forum members like boatie (I'd also be willing though I'm often busy) could put together and upload the pack when there's an update to one of the tools.

This would obviate the need for Lucas to do everything every time, though he'd still have to maintain the OP at the very least - unless someone else took over that by creating a new thread.

Unforgiven

• Bay Watcher
  • Carps can kill Dragons?
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 04, 2010, 03:05:33 pm »

I have a really annoying problem with this. All my people are naked and animals are represented in letters, but the rest works. This is the thread I made explaining my problem:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72325.0

Please, help me if you can, it worked before but not now.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 04, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »

Actually, that gives me a good idea.

If, somewhere in the OP (in a spoiler tag), LucasUP could add full instructions for putting the LNP together, then impatient newbs could DIY with confidence, while helpful forum members like boatie (I'd also be willing though I'm often busy) could put together and upload the pack when there's an update to one of the tools.

This would obviate the need for Lucas to do everything every time, though he'd still have to maintain the OP at the very least - unless someone else took over that by creating a new thread.

Your idea seems a little bit like my idea ;)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 137