Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 82 (40%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.1%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 2000081 times)

med

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.1] Updates
« Reply #945 on: May 20, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »

I've tried the DFFD link twice, and the two mediafire options three times between them. all seem to be corrupted for some unfathomable reason.
I'm currently trying to download the Bentgirder / Lazy Newb Megapack as listed in the DFFD, hopefully i can actually download that one.
Although it is listed as V7.0 as opposed to v9.1, which might be because it is classified differently or because it is outdated.
Here's hoping that it is the former, and that it downloads correctly >_<

Update: after a couple hours of confusion it became apparent that the reason the pack was not downloading is because kaspersky *really* doesn't like DFhacks.
turning web antivirus off for a little while let me download the file correctly, but kaspersky still freaked out and deleted a bunch of files from the DFhacks folder.
That's probably fine however, i think i can learn to live without them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:52:20 pm by med »

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 20, 2011, 11:49:31 pm »

Could we get a 9.2 on this please? :)

Many of the included items have had several updates in the meanwhile. <3

elvenspirit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 21, 2011, 12:56:55 am »

Ok so can someone explain the embark options provided in this pack? I've been unable to find information on them. Mayday-Custom comes without an anvil for one thing. The embark profiles are frequently mentioned but not as to the contents and theme/usage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't mind the name, i stopped using names i liked on forums a long time ago so people wouldn't steal them.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 21, 2011, 01:40:45 pm »

Ok so can someone explain the embark options provided in this pack? I've been unable to find information on them. Mayday-Custom comes without an anvil for one thing. The embark profiles are frequently mentioned but not as to the contents and theme/usage.

For the newcomers, you need to go to the Dwarf Fort folder within Lazy Pack folder. Then got to the data folder and next go into the init folder. The embark_profiles.txt is there. You can also make changes to the profiles there or just change them when you get ready to embark for a new fort.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 22, 2011, 04:21:11 pm »

I'm answering the following post in the Lazy Newb Pack thread in order to avoid derailing the Mayday's DFG thread. I want to keep things on-topic when possible:
-----------------------
I tried downloading the lazynoob pack, but my AV software kept thinking there is a trojan in the zip. Is there a safe site to DL it from that you guys can recommend?

It is not usually a matter of finding a safe site to download from. Rather, many anti-virus programs incorrectly identify the DFHack utility (inside the Lazy Newb Pack) as a virus:

My Anti-virus pops up saying there is some viruses, is this just a flop or should I be worried?
yes, they are false positives.
It's due to DFhack tools being memory editing tools, so some antiviruses think they're viruses.

If you still have doubts, know that the Dwarf Fortress File Depot (dffd.wimbli.com) is the semi-official download site for Dwarf Fortress related files and has been around for years. The Lazy Newb Pack can be downloaded from there: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2801

Know also that peterix is the maintainer of the DFHack project and he is a well-respected member of the community who's been a member for over three years. In fact, many utilities for Dwarf Fortress rely on DFHack's code to stay updated. Players are told they use the DFHack tools at their own risk because it's basically hacking the game (it can sometimes have unpredictable results, so it's wise to backup a game save beforehand), but it is definitely virus-free.

BTW LucasUP, the maintainer of the Lazy Newb Pack, is another respected member of the community who has also been a member for over three years.

If your anti-virus keeps intercepting the Lazy Newb Pack and prevents installation, one solution may be to temporarily disable it (remembering to re-enable afterwards). A better solution would be to tell your anti-virus to ignore the problem and create an "exception" for the program.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:28:44 pm by Thundercraft »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:19 pm »

Sorry I haven't been paying much attention to this thread or LNP lately guys.
I was honestly expecting a game update sooner to prompt me to make an updated pack. But I guess I'll make a 9.2 with utility updates. Maybe later today.

For the newcomers, you need to go to the Dwarf Fort folder within Lazy Pack folder. Then got to the data folder and next go into the init folder. The embark_profiles.txt is there. You can also make changes to the profiles there or just change them when you get ready to embark for a new fort.

Yeah: LazyNewbPack/Dwart Fortress/Data/Init/embark_profiles.txt
Also I named each embark profile to tell you quickly what kind of dwarves you start out with.

OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 24, 2011, 02:20:31 pm »

You're giving up your free time, free of charge, in order to give people a measure of convenience.
Doing it on a less frequent basis is hardly reason to apologise. :)

Update would be appreciated though, thanks!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 24, 2011, 03:24:21 pm »

If I find free time ( :-\) I'll try to update, but that's not likely ( >:() so... go ahead.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:08 am »

Just to chime in on the virus front, Virgin Media Security thinks it's found "Backdoor.Generic.656439" in dflair.exe.
prettu sure this is a false positive, but here's a headsup anyway.

seems like something dfhack/dflair is doing (I've never run almost any of the utils) is virus-like behaviour... when you consider that it's actively reading/writing another apps memory, it's bound to get flagged sooner or later.

santheocles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:49 am »

I noticed the same thing as xeo, LNP doesn't seem to remember most of the .ini changes made via the GUI. Strangely, it remembers Sound:off and Intro:off, but things like Popcap and Aquifers are resetted every time I relaunch the LNP.exe after playing DF.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 25, 2011, 11:21:38 am »

I noticed the same thing as xeo, LNP doesn't seem to remember most of the .ini changes made via the GUI. Strangely, it remembers Sound:off and Intro:off, but things like Popcap and Aquifers are resetted every time I relaunch the LNP.exe after playing DF.
that.... is strange.
Do you get any errors? Can you say how to repeat this bug, step by step?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

traverse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 30, 2011, 05:46:33 pm »

that.... is strange.
Do you get any errors? Can you say how to repeat this bug, step by step?

This happens to me until I actually create a world, then things seem fine.
party for your right to fight

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 02, 2011, 11:50:34 am »

This is a really, really good utility.  This game needs graphics more than when it was 2d, and is a mess without it now that the linear progression river, cave river, chasm, lava, etc., no longer applies.  With the ton of things new to the game (million different kinds of creatures, a bunch of thoughts/discriptions etc.), the abstraction of ASCII is sort of not viable.  Even though this game is now better for that.  Tons of games are ripping off of DF because people want DF with graphics.

I used to like the game before with ASCII and have been playing it all along, just so you know I'm not a total newbie, and that the thing that made me realize the game was going to need to be more accessible was the large list of dwarf thoughts (when they weren't colored), when before it was simple and easy to get the whole picture.

Regardless I still support the game with donations.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:52:05 am by ravensword227 »
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Nalbir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 03, 2011, 11:24:49 pm »

Any plans to do anything like this for Linux?

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 04, 2011, 09:59:49 am »

I've been using this pack for a few months now simply due to how awsomely convenient it is, but since reformatting my computer, I keep getting an error whenever I try to run things from the GUI, it just opens the consel and says "cannot find Dwarf Fortress.exe" or whatever I try to run. I havent modified anything inside the pack and it works fine if I launch Dwarf Fortress normally (without using the GUI). The obvious proublem would be my .net frameworks, but they are all up to date and working. I'm running windows xp SP3, everything fully up to date. And yes, I do have .net 3.5 (and all the others)

As for the pack it's self, it's fantastic, the only thing I would change is to remove the economy option completly, simply because it dosen't do anything due to the economy being broken and haveing no way of activating anyway, and seeing as this pack is aimed at newbs, it would be best not to include unnessasery, obselete options. Also, although I'm not sure if it's possible, can it be made so that when you change tilesets that it dosent reset all the init options? Thirdly, under links, it would probably be usefull to include the tutorial link you have here on the forum thread.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 137